• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Clunking noise blown shocks?

Johnnytwotimes

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
hearing some clunking noise on my 2021 when braking and mostly hitting dips and bumps. Leaning towards blown shocks but I’m only at 27k and the truck is completely stock. Is it time for new suspension? What could it be? Any advice? Thanks

I hear it most definitely in the front. Just hate dealing with the dealership lol, trying to diagnose this problem if it’s the stock shocks I’m more than happy to replace them.

Upvote 0
Is it a substantial thud clunk or a hollow/tinny rattle clunk? If it's clunking something's not torqued. So there is movement where there shouldn't be.
Visual check. See if anything is loose or missing hardware. Check the bumpers on the shock assembly. Top and where the coil is seated. Make sure it's seated against the collar and the rubber bumper is on.

Make sure the sway bar links are torqued.
1680380998388.png

1680381179961.png

1680381224253.png

Shocks should be torqued to keep things together and would make a more violent ting noise.
If it's a thud clunk, I think it would be the sways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back