• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Clean Ham Radio Mobile Rigs

mk18ian

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Website
oakabode.com
2020 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Midnight Black
New to the Tacoma3G community so forgive me if this thread is somewhere else. Just wanted to see all the other members' clean ham, gmrs, or cb set ups.

Here is my current set up. Have a few changes coming up and will update when I get it done.

PARTS LIST:​

• Icom IC-2730a
  • Comet CP-5M Universal RS-730 Lip Mount w/Coax Attached
  • Comet SBB-5NMO 2M/70cm Dual Band Mobile Antenna
  • Tacoma Track Mount
  • Ring terminals for 10-12 AWG wire
  • Heat shrink tubing
  • ABS Plastic sheet
  • (1) RAM Ball Adapter with AMPS Plate
  • (1) RAM Composite Double Socket Arm
  • (1) RAM Track Ball with T-Bolt Attachment
  • Wire loom tubing ¾”
  • Zip ties
  • 6x8mm machine screws
1611795792678.png

1611795814761.png

1611795849566.png

1611795861321.png

1611795884682.png

1611795910688.png

I have yaesu FT 2DR and have to get my ext antenna mounted still deciding on mobile rig or not.
KJ7HKQ 73

I have an older IC-F521 I've been trying to figure out how to mount, but I think I may ditch it for a unit that has a remote head like yours. Welcome, and thanks for the idea!

I was looking for the Icom 2730A that mk18ian and New Holland Overland mentioned above. I really like the potential clean head-unit install possibilities.

While searching, I found that the 2730 was usually out of stock or over priced. Meanwhile, I stumbled across the Icom ID-4001A for $309.95 after manufacturer rebate. Seems like a similar set-up but it is digital w/DSTAR/GPS.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular radio?

On a related note, what are your guys thoughts on running the antenna cable from the dash to the exterior, on/near the bed? Is there a rubber grommet I could use instead of drilling through the cab?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
I was looking for the Icom 2730A that mk18ian and New Holland Overland mentioned above. I really like the potential clean head-unit install possibilities.

While searching, I found that the 2730 was usually out of stock or over priced. Meanwhile, I stumbled across the Icom ID-4001A for $309.95 after manufacturer rebate. Seems like a similar set-up but it is digital w/DSTAR/GPS.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular radio?

On a related note, what are your guys thoughts on running the antenna cable from the dash to the exterior, on/near the bed? Is there a rubber grommet I could use instead of drilling through the cab?

Thanks for all the help!
Run the antenna through your firewall or through one of the drain plugs in the floor, no need to drill holes in the cab!

At the risk of resurrecting a Zombie Post...

[H4]mk18ian[/H4] & [H4]New Holland Overland[/H4] - A few questions about your install.
I'm looking to do similar and that spot under the Drivers Seat is PRIMO for a number of reasons but.

1. How did you fasten it? Does the radio lay loose on the carpet or did you put a bracket on it? Does it slide around much or the cables are stiff enough to keep it mostly in place?

2. The under seat air ducts are right there. Obviously blowing AC on it is beneficial. What about the heater? Does that cause it any issues with overheating? Shorten the lifespan? I'm considering if I do this I will mount the radio to one side more than the other and then block that side of the vent with RTV or Silicone or something.

3. Also I'm planning on running Seat Jackers soon. Does that added lift in the front create any issues in the back where the radio is mounted?

At the risk of resurrecting a Zombie Post...

[h4]mk18ian[/h4] & [h4]New Holland Overland[/h4] - A few questions about your install.
I'm looking to do similar and that spot under the Drivers Seat is PRIMO for a number of reasons but.

1. How did you fasten it? Does the radio lay loose on the carpet or did you put a bracket on it? Does it slide around much or the cables are stiff enough to keep it mostly in place?

2. The under seat air ducts are right there. Obviously blowing AC on it is beneficial. What about the heater? Does that cause it any issues with overheating? Shorten the lifespan? I'm considering if I do this I will mount the radio to one side more than the other and then block that side of the vent with RTV or Silicone or something.

3. Also I'm planning on running Seat Jackers soon. Does that added lift in the front create any issues in the back where the radio is mounted?

You could just use spacers and try to line them up to existing holes or make news ones in the floor. If you do drill through, I would seal it underneath. Silicone or paint the bare exposed metal. Even grommets. Another easy way is to just add brackets underneath the seat mounting points.

Depending on temp differences, could even created condensation. I think you are overthinking this. There are ducts under the seat. Placement would completely avoid the air.
1686169750294.png

Even with sear jackers it would maintain the same height. It's not like it would lower it. May change the angle, but clearance in this case would remain the same. People are fitting air, amp/subs, amps, lock boxes under the seat. There is more than enough room for a radio. You're fine.

Saw a guy over on T-World that used Velcro strips on his bracket and that was enough to grip the pile of the carpet and stick to it. Going to give that a go. No holes, no sealing, and I can reposition it as needed.

Back