• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Chrome

Tuglife

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
What did you guys do to get rid of the chrome emblems? I want to black them out but don’t know if it’s easier to replace them, get one that snaps over, or plasti dip.

Plasti-dip works well. Easy and cheap to do with hundreds of youtube videos to guide you through the process.

I debadged the rears, (4x4 and v6) and had the longest self-debate whether to debadge or plastidip the side Tacoma emblems. Figured I might as well plastidip it first and then decide to take it off if I didnt like it. Turns out I liked it way more than I realize. The plastidips held up to car washes, pressure washers and shit weather for about a year now, no issues!
20190501_122233.jpg

So all in all the trucks white and completely stock. I’m a mall crawler since I work offshore and I’m never home. Just since the grill came blacked out already I just want to do something with the rest of the chrome.

One tip for those debadging... after pulling off, use WD-40 soaked on paper towel and the glue comes right off. Also suggest keeping a few dry towels to soak up any dripping WD-40. After, just wash with clean water and wax.

WD-40 works great at removing the glue, also use it to take labels off big costco nut and pretzel containers to use for storage.

3d printed ring to make the base flush then did the cobra outline WITH A LASER to make a stencil attached to the pexiglass. Painted the front red and the back blue, TA-DA. Tacobra.

Also use rattlecan bedliner spray to get rid of the braces

Attachments

• 2017-08-15 16.04.35.jpg
    2017-08-15 16.04.35.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 91
I debadged, destickered and dechromed mine the night I brought it home. It’s now your basic white n black with a little orange to come..z

Attachments

• 0AA1FC3D-D150-4CA5-9674-0ED7D193F311.jpeg
    0AA1FC3D-D150-4CA5-9674-0ED7D193F311.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 96
What did you guys do to get rid of the chrome emblems? I want to black them out but don’t know if it’s easier to replace them, get one that snaps over, or plasti dip.
Like everyone else, I took them off. I did try plasti-dip first and while it is convenient, I don’t think you’ll ever get it 100% perfect. No one would’ve noticed the imperfections besides me but they drove me crazy.

I think they look good debaged but if you really don’t want to, I wonder if hand painting is a possibility.

What's best to get this black thing off? Looks like the base of the badge. Not sure WD40 is man enough? It's a kinda rubbery plastic.
IMG_20200103_124924_resized_20200103_125240269.jpg

What's best to get this black thing off? Looks like the base of the badge. Not sure WD40 is man enough? It's a kinda rubbery plastic.
IMG_20200103_124924_resized_20200103_125240269.jpg
Use a blow dryer to heat it up. Then heat it up some more. Then, use fishing line perpendicular to it (so, vertically) to basically saw it off from behind it it. Take a break and heat it up again. This should work well. At the end, do what everyone mentioned in this thread to clean the leftover residue.

Back