• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bumper Mounted LED Tail Light Strip

GTGallop

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Looking for a an LED Tail Light Strip - the kind that mounts on the bumper below the tailgate.

My one requirements is that is has a plug-n-play wiring harness. Googling this comes up with hundreds and hundreds of cheap $30 to $80 strips that are just bare wires you have to splice in. Sorry, I'm not breaking the insulation on a factory wire and creating an eventual failure point. It can have a trailer plug on it as long as I can get a corresponding mount behind the bumper so that the wires are all tucked away and hidden. I don't want to use the exterior side of the bumper plug.

Bonus - if it has multiple colors (red and white or red white and amber) and extra bonus if they can sequentially flash, flash in patterns, or strobe.

Seems like no matter what I put in the search bar on Google or else where, it serves up tons of results that don't come close to my criteria.

If you have one you like, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
If you have one you HATE - Let me know too.

And if anyone has a useful link, please share it. Many Many Thanks in Advance!

I've settled on getting one of these so I can keep all of the connections behind the bumper and clean / safe from snags and damage.

Then putting something like this on it.

There is some "hacking" into a wire with a splice for the reverse lights but you do it via tap into the wires on the adapter at the top. While I perfer a 100% PnP solution, that's 99% there and makes it easy to revert back to total factory wiring with NO taps should I ever want / need to.

There is some "hacking" into a wire with a splice for the reverse lights but you do it via tap into the wires on the adapter at the top. While I perfer a 100% PnP solution, that's 99% there and makes it easy to revert back to total factory wiring with NO taps should I ever want / need to.

I can make it 100% PnP. Serious.

I'll check out the installation when I get home. Let you know what it's gonna take.

Yeah... this one's easy. It's sort of a waste if the reverse isn't tied into the adapter.

Last edited:
Looking for a an LED Tail Light Strip - the kind that mounts on the bumper below the tailgate.

My one requirements is that is has a plug-n-play wiring harness. Googling this comes up with hundreds and hundreds of cheap $30 to $80 strips that are just bare wires you have to splice in. Sorry, I'm not breaking the insulation on a factory wire and creating an eventual failure point. It can have a trailer plug on it as long as I can get a corresponding mount behind the bumper so that the wires are all tucked away and hidden. I don't want to use the exterior side of the bumper plug.

Bonus - if it has multiple colors (red and white or red white and amber) and extra bonus if they can sequentially flash, flash in patterns, or strobe.

Seems like no matter what I put in the search bar on Google or else where, it serves up tons of results that don't come close to my criteria.

If you have one you like, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
If you have one you HATE - Let me know too.

And if anyone has a useful link, please share it. Many Many Thanks in Advance!
Saw this one but holy cow $$$!.

It does check all your boxes....plug and play quick connect harness, sequential, Red, white, amber.

For the price it should be high quality (one would hope). 3 year warranty according to the site..

Guess the question is how much do you really want all the features you listed?

So I didn't look at it. But I'm pretty sure those 7 to 4 pin adapters can accomodate the reverse. If not if reverse is wired in there, you can add it. I'd always splice the adapter and non-factory items.

Even if there are bare wires, it's simple to just wire it up like factory.
Worst case, if the reverse isn't in the adapter, you can always make your own harness.
I can help you with that if you want. It'll just PnP into one of your reverse lights.

Would have to know much power the reverse light itself needs. I have a Baja Designs S1 piggy backed off one of my reverse lights.

You would just do this with pigtails or connectors.

Saw this one but holy cow $$$!.

It does check all your boxes....plug and play quick connect harness, sequential, Red, white, amber.

For the price it should be high quality (one would hope). 3 year warranty according to the site..

Guess the question is how much do you really want all the features you listed?

Regularly $630???!!!???
I just want to put it on the truck, not F-it.
Does it cuddle you after you install it? Little reach around action? GEEZ!

EDIT T ADD: OK - I watched the video - it is pretty cool.

Back