• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

South Boomer's Dashtop RAM (type ball) Mount- new stock available now!!!

Boomer

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
The BDRM has 5 locations for mounting RAM type balls with 2 strategically placed slots for passing through USB power cables if desired. One thing I wanted to ensure was ease of installation and I think this is accomplished by spreading out the 5x fastening points along the entire length of the radio bezel. Also, I have concentrated on fit and finish by having the part CnC'd and then finished in a textured flat black powder coat which should keep any incoming light reflection to a minimum. When not in use I think it blends inconspicuously into the dash quite well.

The BDRM will come with required mounting hardware, E-mailed installation instructions, 4x plastic plugs for unused mounting holes and 1x ball mount.
Cost is $125 US + 4% PayPal fee + shipping.
Add surface mount USB as seen in picture: $20
Add 1x additional ball mount: $10
1695348240784.png

1695348264840.png

1695348280342.png
1695348299075.png

1695348343315.png
1695348363816.png

1695348399704.png
1695348416596.png

Last edited:
What's under the mount? I know there's the trim plastic. But what other hardware is under it to secure it? Anything that makes it even sturdier or is it just secured and all the weight is on the plastic?

What's under the mount? I know there's the trim plastic. But what other hardware is under it to secure it? Anything that makes it even sturdier or is it just secured and all the weight is on the plastic?

The radio bezel is quite sturdy, especially once my BDRM is secured in 5x locations along the entire length of the bezel.

Attachments

• IMG_20220202_2238110.jpg
    IMG_20220202_2238110.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 67
The radio bezel is quite sturdy, especially once my BDRM is secured in 5x locations along the entire length of the bezel.
Sounds like you'll say anything for a sale...

So it's no different and just a copy of TacoGarage's DSM/DMM with just a little extension, which doesn't make improvements to rigidity.

Sounds like you'll say anything for a sale...

So it's no different and just a copy of TacoGarage's DSM/DMM with just a little extension, which doesn't make improvements to rigidity.

You are welcome to review my customer feedback on Tacomaworld. I even had a customer buy my BDRM to replace the TG unit he had installed.
My unit is much stronger, has more spots to install a RAM ball and takes 1/2 the time to install because you are not drilling so many holes in the bezel which IMO weakens the bezel. The BDRM also provides an option to install a surface mount USB on the right side.

I'm asking what makes yours so much stronger. I don't want to pay $125 US + 4% PayPal fee + shipping just to find out whatever improvements you claim is negligible. Instead of giving facts as to why it's stronger, you made sure to share your opinion on a competitors product that you think weakens the bezel. Where sandwiching plates that disperse more contact make more sense than beefing up a contact point with a washer. Then to shove a washer into a curve would definitely stress and weaken the surface without full face contact. TW doesn't really have a solid track record for valid information. You could have a stronger unit, but it doesn't mean that it's mounted overall function is any better or worse. TG also has a USB option that looks pretty identical. I'm asking to see what would make it more stable than what I have now. But you avoided answering.

Also, "4% PayPal fee" is a ToS violation. That's how you get monitored.

Mine is stronger because it is made of 1/4" aluminum. In order for me to make the 30degree bend I use a 3 ton arbor press. I still stand by only requiring 5 mounting point and the plastic bezel is not stressed when tightening because I use nylon nuts .
The fit and finish is superior because the BDRM has over 14 CNC machined components and is finished in a very durable charcoal gray powder coat.
Regarding the surface mount USB, no cutting into the bezel is needed because I have 2x #4 threaded holes in the BDRM.

I don't know anything about your stated ToS violation.

I understand your mount is 1/4" aluminum. Which yes, that is thicker. Nicer built. But I'm trying to understand how the thicker mount would make it sturdier on the bezel. Using a longer arm or heavier device on the mount is what causes the rattling and flex.
I'm not concerned about the number of holes or the USB. My interest is how much flex and movement there is once mounted since the trim is tension fit.

I can only tell you that I have been selling these units for almost 2 years now and have not received any negative feedback about flexing or any rattling. I did have an inquiry about offering an internal bracket but the person did not pursue purchasing a BDRM so I didn't design one for him.
Also, like other supports of this type in this location, there is a stated weight limitation warning.
Above all, I stand behind the quality, fit and finish of my product. I use Canada Post/ US Mail to ship and the packing is plain because I have spent my money on the R and D, not the fancy packaging. I'm just one Canadian Taco enthusiast making stuff for other Taco enthusiast. I also do a TRD Pro shift knob illumination and have designed an IC that works with MESO's TRD Pro shift knob micro-switches. Both advertised on TW.

Last edited:
I can only tell you that I have been selling these units for almost 2 years now and have not received any negative feedback about flexing or any rattling. I did have an inquiry about offering an internal bracket but the person did not pursue purchasing a BDRM so I didn't design one for him.
Also, like other supports of this type in this location, there is a stated weight limitation warning.
Above all, I stand behind the quality, fit and finish of my product. I use Canada Post/ US Mail to ship and the packing is plain because I have spent my money on the R and D, not the fancy packaging.
I'm sure the quality is super. No doubt about that. What is the weight limitation?

This is the exact disclaimer I state in my install instructions.

Note: each mounting location(5x in total) should be able to accommodate up to 1kg or approximately 2lbs each. Exceeding this could distort or damage the radio bezel when stressed by vehicle bouncing while driving over rough terrain.

Looks nice to me. I don't know why that other guy is so bent about it, but that looks like just your basic forum BS.

I've been using a piece of RAM track fixed down to that same spot with 3M tape for a few years. The only issue is that the track is Delrin which gets soft and deforms in the heat. I was going to just drill out a hole for the one ram mount I need since I never mount more than one thing to it anymore. But this is an attractive option as I've seen some ads for car play screens recently that could go there.

Looks nice to me. I don't know why that other guy is so bent about it, but that looks like just your basic forum BS.

I've been using a piece of RAM track fixed down to that same spot with 3M tape for a few years. The only issue is that the track is Delrin which gets soft and deforms in the heat. I was going to just drill out a hole for the one ram mount I need since I never mount more than one thing to it anymore. But this is an attractive option as I've seen some ads for car play screens recently that could go there.
Most of the time I only use the mount closest to the driver as well but this year I mounted a Garmin GPS in the 4th mount location. As well, periodically on long trips my spouse uses the RAM mount on the far side to setup her cell phone. My BDRM provides a solid mount with several mount locations.

I have sold several units in the past few years directly through 2x Canadian web sites as well as Tacomaworld.

Back