• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Best tie-down / cargo strap options?

landroamr

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Having now lugged around cargo in the back of my tacoma at least 20 or 30 times, I'm becoming very frustrated every time I try to secure the load:
  • Ratchet Straps: Inevitably my load is always too small for these to work effectively. And yet I have to go through the process of unwinding them and winding them back up, and swearing to myself I'll never use them again. So then I cut 2 of them shorter to be more effective, and more often than not the load size requires something in between. While I love the concept of ratchet straps, my success with them has been infuriating.
  • Rope: This is just about when I realize how much I love the hooks on the ratchet straps. It's really tough to not have hooks. Using a 30ft length of rope to tie down a few sheets of plywood is also madness. By the time you string the rope through the tie-downs, get the knot secure and right, you might as well have risked the load flying out on the freeway. I can never remember my hitches. It's not like I'm a sailor.
  • Bungy Cords: By far my favorite option, but really only works for lightweight stuff. I also tend to find myself connecting a few odd sizes together to make it work, and even then it just doesn't feel like I've secured anything down. I've used up 5 bungies, just to 'maybe hold' a sleeping bag role and a bucket.

I'm desperately seeking peoples favorite products, or creative ideas to making securing cargo a joyful experience vs. a constant headache.
FWIW, I have a short bed Tacoma.

Thank you!

Having now lugged around cargo in the back of my tacoma at least 20 or 30 times, I'm becoming very frustrated every time I try to secure the load:
  • Ratchet Straps: Inevitably my load is always too small for these to work effectively. And yet I have to go through the process of unwinding them and winding them back up, and swearing to myself I'll never use them again. So then I cut 2 of them shorter to be more effective, and more often than not the load size requires something in between. While I love the concept of ratchet straps, my success with them has been infuriating.
  • Rope: This is just about when I realize how much I love the hooks on the ratchet straps. It's really tough to not have hooks. Using a 30ft length of rope to tie down a few sheets of plywood is also madness. By the time you string the rope through the tie-downs, get the knot secure and right, you might as well have risked the load flying out on the freeway. I can never remember my hitches. It's not like I'm a sailor.
  • Bungy Cords: By far my favorite option, but really only works for lightweight stuff. I also tend to find myself connecting a few odd sizes together to make it work, and even then it just doesn't feel like I've secured anything down. I've used up 5 bungies, just to 'maybe hold' a sleeping bag role and a bucket.

I'm desperately seeking peoples favorite products, or creative ideas to making securing cargo a joyful experience vs. a constant headache.
FWIW, I have a short bed Tacoma.

Thank you!
have you tried to double the strap on your ratchet straps, or, are they old or worn out, I keep a couple of different size straps, they always hold the load.

This is said in all humility, not seeing what exactly you're doing, and having made a similar mistake myself for years before I realized it...

the ratchet straps should be able to tie down absolutely anything no matter how long they are. Even if they were 60 ft long, sliding the free end into the mechanism, then back out the same side, you can pull the slack all the way through until it is gently snugged, then usually about one total revolution of the ratchet mechanism (about 6 pumps) will secure it. Then just tie the flailing loose ratchet strap somewhere to keep it from flapping in the breeze excessively.

and please pardon me if this insults you intelligence. I've literally learned this myself in my mid twenties and have encountered more people than not (including me initially!) who thought you had to wind up the entire tail of the ratchet strap within the mechanism.

Ratchet straps or theperfectbungee.com with carabiners in the holes if you are not sure of using the hooks.

I’ve always been able to secure loads in the back of my truck with bungee cords. There’s never been a time when they’ve failed me.

I use the Toyota bed net. Havent lost anything on or offroad.

Well that’s a loaded question, I have used ratchet straps, bunnies, even paracord to secure a load. A good truckers hitch with some cordage work well. The key to a Goode secure load out is placement of your anchor points. After that it all on you

This is said in all humility, not seeing what exactly you're doing, and having made a similar mistake myself for years before I realized it...

the ratchet straps should be able to tie down absolutely anything no matter how long they are. Even if they were 60 ft long, sliding the free end into the mechanism, then back out the same side, you can pull the slack all the way through until it is gently snugged, then usually about one total revolution of the ratchet mechanism (about 6 pumps) will secure it. Then just tie the flailing loose ratchet strap somewhere to keep it from flapping in the breeze excessively.

and please pardon me if this insults you intelligence. I've literally learned this myself in my mid twenties and have encountered more people than not (including me initially!) who thought you had to wind up the entire tail of the ratchet strap within the mechanism.

You are not alone. I’ve taught probably a dozen or more people (most of them being way older than me) how to use a ratchet strap. Being in construction/ around it since I was like 5 will do that to ya lol. I point it out on the hwy/ road and my wife gives me the “look”. Lol can’t help it.

Ratchet straps properly used as discussed and a load bar has always covered my needs. I have a custom made canvas dog carrier in the rear seat occupied at most times by my American Bulldog so this load bar is a must for Sam's runs. Also great for holding 5 gallon gas jugs and the grill propane tanks in place for fuel runs.

20201223_120359.jpg

Back