• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bedside Molle Panel Strength?

itsthex

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.coryinmotion.com
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Whats up guys! I am planning on procuring some bedside molle panels for storage of all of my offroad gear and just had a general question for those that have run them before.

What's the overall durability like with these kits? Are they able to take abuse; aka: If I'm bouncing hard offroad with heavy equipment bolted up to them, do they last?

Are there any brands better than others? I'm leaning towards Cali Raised LED brand since they offer a system that is a direct fit beneath my Bakflip tonneau cover.

Thanks all!

Aluminum is somewhat strong. Has some flex with a shearing point. How much weight will you put on it? Did you look into how much weight our bed rails can support? From a pull and dead weight. Looks like screws or bolts at the bottom. Screws can strip out of the composite. Bolts as long as you drill right, you could go a little larger for a spacer so the weight is more spread to increase how much it can support. I just don't like the idea of the screw/bolt on the bottom bearing weight. Check into aluminum tensile strength. Will be type of aluminum, thickness, support strength from directions by dimensions. Then estimate/think of the weight you're gonna put on it. Maybe heavier stuff closer to the rail to minimize movement and since that will be a better anchor point. Did you try looking up bed molle setups or other people? Reviews to see how there's have held up?

Sorry for the spewing. I think I just caught a manic million thoughts moment and this slowed me down. Thanks.

Last edited:
Aluminum is somewhat strong. Has some flex with a shearing point. How much weight will you put on it? Did you look into how much weight our bed rails can support? From a pull and dead weight. Looks like screws or bolts at the bottom. Screws can strip out of the composite. Bolts as long as you drill right, you could go a little larger for a spacer so the weight is more spread to increase how much it can support. I just don't like the idea of the screw/bolt on the bottom bearing weight. Check into aluminum tensile strength. Will be type of aluminum, thickness, support strength from directions by dimensions. Then estimate/think of the weight you're gonna put on it. Maybe heavier stuff closer to the rail to minimize movement and since that will be a better anchor point. Did you try looking up bed molle setups or other people? Reviews to see how there's have held up?

Sorry for the spewing. I think I just caught a manic million thoughts moment and this slowed me down. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that's my concern is the aluminum itself and the bolts. That's why I was hoping for some input from those who have run them before.

Realistically, I can't imagine I'll have too much back there aside from my shovel, some straps, traction boards, and maybe a water tank. I was thinking at some point a Hi-Lift jack, but my truck doesn't really have any good points for jacking it up and realistically I don't know when I'd really need one, nor am I sure I'd want to haul around all that weight all the time when I'm lobbing it off whoops in the desert from time to time.

Whats up guys! I am planning on procuring some bedside molle panels for storage of all of my offroad gear and just had a general question for those that have run them before.

What's the overall durability like with these kits? Are they able to take abuse; aka: If I'm bouncing hard offroad with heavy equipment bolted up to them, do they last?

Are there any brands better than others? I'm leaning towards Cali Raised LED brand since they offer a system that is a direct fit beneath my Bakflip tonneau cover.

Thanks all!
I'd definitely go with Cali Raised. I have lights from them and LOVE them so much!

Personally haven’t had bedside molle panels but I’ve looked into them, just can’t justify the price right now lol. Definitely wouldn’t put anything crazy heavy on them though. Recovery gear like straps and such would be fine and at most I’d say a jack. Check out this company. Stainless steel and lifetime warranty. They make some pretty solid stuff

Exterior Archive - BuiltRight Industries (https://builtrightind.com/collections/2005-2021-toyota-tacoma/exterior#CollectionAjaxResult)

Thanks for the recommendation! The tricky part is getting them under the BakFlip tonneau I have installed. I haven't been able to find any others that make a system to fit yet outside of Cali Raised.. Unless anyone else knows!

I'd definitely go with Cali Raised. I have lights from them and LOVE them so much!

Thanks! I've heard good things about the LED brand's products, but weird business shadiness with the old-owners new company Cali Raised Offroad.. A little odd there but as long as the products are good!

Back