• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Audio Mod Group Think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
I was going to post this in @Rob Daman 's tweeter thread, and decided that I didn't want to muck up his thread. So if the context of the post seems out of whack, it's because I was trying to clarify my post in that thread, which was:

It's definitely a good one.

So this is a rebuttal to group think in regards to the $250 Kicker Speaker Upgrade. I'm posting this in the "everything else" section, because I'm not sure how much this actually helps anyone if I post it in audio.....

I want to clarify my earlier post. This is a great mod if you want better sound, and are not expecting SQ level. It's easy to do, there is a definite change in the clarity of music from those corners, but in the end, you'll find the need to upgrade all the speakers because now that you have upgraded the corners, the doors sound like smashed ass.

Hence the "Kicker sub $250 upgrade".

Then you get replace those speakers to the kicker speakers, and find that your truck is now lacking low end, because if you followed the kicker upgrade, you now have 8 tweeters in your truck. That's right folks, 8 tweeters. so now you decide to put a powered sub in there. You get the powered sub in there, and now notice that there is no balance between the low end and high end, because the sub is powered, but the door speakers are not, so you add a key amp.

Rabbit hole.

Anyway, and I'm not saying this to be disparaging to anyone, so don't take this the wrong way. The Kicker Tweeter replacement is like a shiny object that one person finds, shares results, and becomes group think. Like the borg. Same with the "$250 speaker replacement". Yeah, it's great, and it will provide better sound, but sound, like taste in beer, is completely subjective.

For instance, I can't stand Heady Topper, I think Trillium beer is meh, and Hills Farmstead is a fluke. Yet people travel far and wide for that shit. I think Pliny the Elder is the exact same recipe is Maine Beer's Lunch, and Blind Pig is better. I think NEIPA should be from New England, not Michigan. I have friends that slag on me all the time about my beer opinions, and I have to remind them that taste is completely subjective.

My opinion of the whole Kicker group think is Too Much Treble. Not enough balance. Is my set up SQ? Absolutely not. Did I start off with the Kickers, yep, sure did, I got sucked into group think. But there was no way I was putting 8 tweeters in my truck, because my ears ring bad enough as it is. After it's all said and done, if you actually like any sort of sound quality, you are going to spend more money that the initial $95 on a pair of tweeters, and then, chances are, you are going to change all the speakers out again, adding a good amp and a good sub, making that $250 upgrade a waste of time, money and resources.....

Flame away. It's the internet LOL

Last edited:
And I'll pile on with this:

I feel the same way about the "Pro Grille", and probably 5 or 6 other group think borg mods LOL

And Raptor lights. Why not call them grille lights?

Haven’t looked into speaker upgrades other than the OEM plus kit. How bad does factory head unit equalizer taint the signal? I miss the old days where you get a single DIN alpine head unit and get unmolested sound to amp and speakers.

Haven’t looked into speaker upgrades other than the OEM plus kit. How bad does factory head unit equalizer taint the signal? I miss the old days where you get a single DIN alpine head unit and get unmolested sound to amp and speakers.
Lots of bass drop off. I put a Kenwood DMX905S in the truck recently, and it really woke up my amp/morels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back