• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Atkinson Cycle?

StormRnr

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Can you feel the engine go in and out of Atkinson Cycle?

I'm new to my 3rd Gen and also new to modern auto transmissions. I can feel "shifting" that seems more like a change in power not a change in RPM/torque.

-M

I can’t feel the Atkinson. That being said, I also felt the same changes in power from shifting that I attributed to the transmission “learning” period.

I cannot feel it either.

Still not 100% sure about it either but I honestly only care if something goes wrong lol

I don't belive I've ever felt it kick in or out.
The 2GR FKS isn't a true atkinson cycle. The variable valve timing changes the compression to allow the engine to run more efficiently under minimal load like while idling or at cruising speed. I think the idea is you shouldn't notice it. If you accelerate the engine should kick back to Otto cycle. At least that how I understand it after reading post from orange virus tuning.

The change in power feeling could be the torque converter locking and unlocking. For example when your on the highway going up a small hill and the rpms jump by a few hundred but its not enough to be a full downshift. Thats the torque converter unlocking to make a little more umph.

Last edited:
The 2GR FKS isn't a true atkinson cycle. The variable valve timing changes the compression to allow the engine to run more efficiently under minimal load like while idling or at cruising speed. I think the idea is you shouldn't notice it. If you accelerate the engine should kick back to Otto cycle. At least that how I understand it after reading post from orange virus tuning.

The change in power feeling could be the torque converter locking and unlocking. For example when your on the highway going up a small hill and the rpms jump by a few hundred but its not enough to be a full downshift. Thats the torque converter unlocking to make a little more umph.
Interesting. That's what I'm feeling. On the whole, the auto trans is spastic and all over the place.

I use a OBD device that plugs into my OBD port and learns the ECU and works with it to supply a lot better ride.
The device says that it is for increasing MPG, but I have seen a difference in the constant searching for the right gear.
Mine is now more like all the other Transmissions I have driven in the past.
I'm happy with it, I get all of the torque from my V6. I get 2 more MPG.

What kind of things would you notice when it kicks in?

You guys need OVTune. Makes the transmission way less neurotic.
I think I want it. I called the dealer to ask if there was a transmission update and they acted like I was from another planet.

I think I want it. I called the dealer to ask if there was a transmission update and they acted like I was from another planet.

I really don't understand the dealers hesitance when it comes to upgrading the factory software. There is literally no reason to not do it other than not wanting to pay your guy to do it. It's upsetting.

If you're ever in my area I can update your software no problem. I also do OVTune installs.

I really don't understand the dealers hesitance when it comes to upgrading the factory software. There is literally no reason to not do it other than not wanting to pay your guy to do it. It's upsetting.

If you're ever in my area I can update your software no problem. I also do OVTune installs.
What do i need to ask for specifically? Can any shop do it?

Depends on the year of your truck.

Mine was to say the truck stumbled from a dead stop upon hard acceleration when at altitude. That was enough to get them to do the tsb.

Back