• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ask an Entomologist Anything

I have only seen a couple in the past few years, I've crushed every one I've seen besides one that got away - don't hate me! They're worse in southern Pennsylvania from what I know.
You're fine, man. Don't feel bad about doing that. It's very hard to piss me off, anyway. What bothers me is when people kill insects simply because they don't understand them and want them to go away forever. I saw a dude stomp on a predacious diving beetle at a Costco once. I suspect he thought it was a roach but they could hardly be more different. That pissed me off. You smooshing some invasives that left their natural predators behind and are killing trees and crops as it spreads across the US? Have at it! I would too if they were here, though I'd keep a few for my collection first.

Thank you for sharing… it reminds me of a roommate from the Philippines…He work for a plantation at home..in his late 30’s ….
He was sent to University of Hawaii ..to get a Entomology degree…Average student was 7 seven year to get a degree…the fastest anyone did it was four years at that time, 70’s…My roommate did it in three years.. He show me some of his papers …most had A+ on the top…

Hawaii has a Coffee Borer beatle problem…. Did you know a guy made a natural product..that you could drink…that also got rid of the borer Beatles, brought plants and trees back to life…he close his business due to health issues..and just past away last year…He was a chemist…and a friend…
Funny thing is our University of Hawaii ..had NO interest …We approach them several times…
South America wanted him to share his products to rid of the Coffee borers…but he was too old to
travel..
We still have a few gallons left
Aloha
a natural probiotic ..Call BAM. ( Beneficial Active Microorganisms ) I use to drink it too…lol

Hm, interesting. I looked into the Coffee Borer since I'm not familiar with it. Yeah, beetles in that group are a problem all over. The forests here are getting hit pretty hard by them in drought years, which are becoming more frequent. A prominent scientist who worked on those with the Forest Service died a few years back, which was a huge loss to science. He was one of those prolific scientists that treated his work as a way of life and not just a job. I've been going through his old samples as time allows to get them into accessible collections instead of languishing in storage.

I can only speculate about why you and your friend didn't get much interest from the university. My guess is the combination of politics, regulations, and patent law were factors. I think universities like to develop products in-house so they can own the patents. That, plus degrees and institutional associations (scientist street cred) still matter more than they should in what's supposed to be a strictly egalitarian system. Agricultural pest control is tricky in its own right and funding is often hard-won, though often of relatively large amounts compared to other areas of entomology (I should know...). That said, these grants usually to go to studies that expand on existing research. It looks like bacterial cultures are in use as a pesticide for these beetles, so maybe they thought it's the same stuff. Or maybe they thought it's little more than Kombucha or something.

You know, before going to school I had no idea it was more complicated than pest + pest control = no more problem. After hearing about how pesticides can fail, biocontrol agents are evaluated, and invasive species get distributed I'm amazed agriculture is still doing as well as it is. I mean, you need the correct chemical/organism, on the right part of the plant, at the right time, at the right concentration, for the right life stage of the pest. Oh, and every time you apply it the pest has an opportunity to evolve resistance. It's truly an arms race.

Why do stink bugs (house flies, butterflies, ladybugs, and Japanese beetles for that matter) seem to have erratic, uncontrolled flight compared to some other insects such as bees, wasps, or hornets?

what can you tell me about this creepy looking bastard?
1B4D4FA2-6E67-468B-80EC-694DCF1F29BB.jpeg

what can you tell me about this creepy looking bastard?
1B4D4FA2-6E67-468B-80EC-694DCF1F29BB.jpeg
Oh, nice! So, there's quite a bit going on here, bear with me. The caterpillar looks to be a tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta. Judging by its size it already did a number on your tomato plant (despite their name they feed on more than tobacco). Well, rest assured it's toast. Those white things are cocoons made by a parasitoid wasp, probably Cotesia congregata. In other words, at some point a wasp came by and laid a bunch of eggs in the caterpillar. It would never have lived long enough to become a moth. However, I recommend you check all your plants for more caterpillars, as it is the caterpillars that damage plants. They're very hard to spot if not already parasitized like this, but bug poop ("frass" is the scientific term, looks like pellets) and missing leaves give them away too. I hear chickens love them.

While the caterpillar is a pest on cultivated tomato plants, it's a native insect that feeds on a native plant, Jimsonweed. It just happens they can feed on many plants in the Solanaceae plant family, which includes tomatoes, tobacco, eggplants, and others. If the caterpillars are lucky enough to not be parasitized then they'll dig into the ground and pupate (the pupa is the lifestage between larva and adult, called a chrysalis for butterflies and moths). The adults are fantastic pollinators. I've seen them come to cactus flowers a few times and they're more like hummingbirds than moths. UV lights also attract them, which is how we collect 'em.

So, to sum up: Your caterpillar pest has been neutralized by parasitoid wasps! Congrats!

Oh, for those wondering, parasitoids are parasites that routinely kill their host. Tapeworm: parasite. Facehugger from Aliens: parasitoid.

Oh, nice! So, there's quite a bit going on here, bear with me. The caterpillar looks to be a tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta. Judging by its size it already did a number on your tomato plant (despite their name they feed on more than tobacco). Well, rest assured it's toast. Those white things are cocoons made by a parasitoid wasp, probably Cotesia congregata. In other words, at some point a wasp came by and laid a bunch of eggs in the caterpillar. It would never have lived long enough to become a moth. However, I recommend you check all your plants for more caterpillars, as it is the caterpillars that damage plants. They're very hard to spot if not already parasitized like this, but bug poop ("frass" is the scientific term, looks like pellets) and missing leaves give them away too. I hear chickens love them.

While the caterpillar is a pest on cultivated tomato plants, it's a native insect that feeds on a native plant, Jimsonweed. It just happens they can feed on many plants in the Solanaceae plant family, which includes tomatoes, tobacco, eggplants, and others. If the caterpillars are lucky enough to not be parasitized then they'll dig into the ground and pupate (the pupa is the lifestage between larva and adult, called a chrysalis for butterflies and moths). The adults are fantastic pollinators. I've seen them come to cactus flowers a few times and they're more like hummingbirds than moths. UV lights also attract them, which is how we collect 'em.

So, to sum up: Your caterpillar pest has been neutralized by parasitoid wasps! Congrats!

Oh, for those wondering, parasitoids are parasites that routinely kill their host. Tapeworm: parasite. Facehugger from Aliens: parasitoid.
Thank you for the info. The pic was from last summer. I’ll keep a look out for more this year.

Why do stink bugs (house flies, butterflies, ladybugs, and Japanese beetles for that matter) seem to have erratic, uncontrolled flight compared to some other insects such as bees, wasps, or hornets?
Hm, interesting question. Some of this is probably just due to how their flight surfaces are built. Butterflies have huge flappy wings that don't move quickly like, say, a hummingbird, right? They only have to find flowers and don't need to squeeze into nest holes or anything like that. They lay eggs right on foliage. In the case of beetles they turned their first pair of wings into shields that let them protect their functional wings. But to fly they have to keep those shields out of the way and use the remaining wings as best they can. They get by, but they're quite clumsy as a result. Most flies, and especially houseflies, are actually some of the best fliers out there. Like beetles they gave up a pair of wings, but in the flies they turned into little gyroscopic sensors instead of shields. Their erratic flight is likely antipredator or searching behavior.

Most flies, and especially houseflies, are actually some of the best fliers out there. Like beetles they gave up a pair of wings, but in the flies they turned into little gyroscopic sensors instead of shields. Their erratic flight is likely antipredator or searching behavior.
That's pretty awesome! Thank you.

shooting star GIF

Yep, that's kind of terrifying. I actually know her and she's not an outlier as far as entomologists go. We're all a little... off, relative to society. That thing is a tarantula hawk, probably from Arizona. Collecting insects in Arizona around the summer monsoons is a bit of an entomology pilgrimage. The main reason I avoid being stung is I already have two insect allergies, one of which is wasp venom. The one Arizona trip I went on had someone into this kind of stuff, but he couldn't find one of these wasps. He settled for the biggest velvet ant I'd ever seen. We all gathered around him at a picnic table and watched him make it sting him while he narrated the entire experience in great detail. Like I said, entomologists are a little weird.

See also: Schmidt pain index

How prolific do you expect the "murder hornets" to get in the US?
Hard to say, but they need humid summers. So my feeling is that Nevada and most of California are probably safe, maybe along with a few other western states. But anywhere with a climate like Japan is a potential habitat. Also, mild winters would favor them, too. Just look at the yellowjackets in Hawaii where the colonies don't have to restart every Spring, they just keep getting bigger. Depending on how eradication efforts go this could be a bad one. They're aggressive predators and can wipe out entire honeybee colonies. There are ways to harden commercial hives against full-on raids but these wasps will settle for spawn camping honeybees outside the hive entrance.

Yep, that's kind of terrifying. I actually know her and she's not an outlier as far as entomologists go. We're all a little... off, relative to society. That thing is a tarantula hawk, probably from Arizona. Collecting insects in Arizona around the summer monsoons is a bit of an entomology pilgrimage. The main reason I avoid being stung is I already have two insect allergies, one of which is wasp venom. The one Arizona trip I went on had someone into this kind of stuff, but he couldn't find one of these wasps. He settled for the biggest velvet ant I'd ever seen. We all gathered around him at a picnic table and watched him make it sting him while he narrated the entire experience in great detail. Like I said, entomologists are a little weird.

Hard to say, but they need humid summers. So my feeling is that Nevada and most of California are probably safe, maybe along with a few other western states. But anywhere with a climate like Japan is a potential habitat. Also, mild winters would favor them, too. Just look at the yellowjackets in Hawaii where the colonies don't have to restart every Spring, they just keep getting bigger. Depending on how eradication efforts go this could be a bad one. They're aggressive predators and can wipe out entire honeybee colonies. There are ways to harden commercial hives against full-on raids but these wasps will settle for spawn camping honeybees outside the hive entrance.

What assholes!!

That sounds concerning for sure. Pretty much anywhere but the southwest could get them. And speaking of yellowjackets not having to restart in Hawaii... how in the hell are they so prolific in Alaska? Every time I field butcher an animal in dry weather up there I am covered in yellow jackets even afterwards they'll be crawling all over my clothes chewing the blood off. I find nest while cutting trails all the time

What I sect is laying eggs in my oak tree?

Attachments

• 20221011_172302.jpg
    20221011_172302.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 58
Back