• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Entune/CarPlay Apple Car Play

XxMagpulxX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
So, does anyone know if I get a non-JBL premium head unit from like a 2020 Taco with Apple Car play....would it just plug into my 2016 Tacoma that Apple Car Play wasn't an option on?

I've been waiting for an answer on this too. I don;t think anyone has tried it yet. Seems like a question for a Toyota service department.

I've had one person tell me yes, and another tell me no.... But both told me I can just update the software with apple car play even though you cant

If someone replaces their 2020 Apple car play head unit with an aftermarket one and doesnt need it anymore, send it to me and I will try to fit it and let everyone know if it works or not.

During my last service at the dealership I asked about software updates for Apple CarPlay in a 2019 and older Tacoma. They basically told me no it’s not going to happen. A 2020 head unit with Apple CarPlay will fit in the 2019 and older models but the cost is outrageous. Better off buying an aftermarket head unit with more features.

During my last service at the dealership I asked about software updates for Apple CarPlay in a 2019 and older Tacoma. They basically told me no it’s not going to happen. A 2020 head unit with Apple CarPlay will fit in the 2019 and older models but the cost is outrageous. Better off buying an aftermarket head unit with more features.

How outrageous? The after market ones are pretty outrageous as well, and they seem to have limited compatibility or overcomplicated interfaces.

I've been thinking about trying out the Beat-Sonic CarPlay kit.

I've seen it pop on my Instagram feed a few times on people's trucks. Might be worth a shot seeing as it's about 1/3 the price of most aftermarket solutions.

How outrageous? The after market ones are pretty outrageous as well, and they seem to have limited compatibility or overcomplicated interfaces.
I think she said $2500. I stopped paying attention after that

When I had my 18 Camry it didn’t come with car play but right before I traded it for my Tacoma they updated my radio for free and it installed car play

I've been entertaining this option, but there are other things I'd like to purchase before this. It's a plug-and-play option.
https://www.infotainment.com/collec...3-0-radio-with-apple-carplay-and-android-auto

They have a 10% off code when you get into their site for the first time and they also do buy backs for the head unit you are removing. They quoted $200 for a buy back of the OEM non-JBL.
Idk man for $2k I wonder if it'd almost be worth it to trade the truck in for a 2020 and get all the other extras lol

Idk man for $2k I wonder if it'd almost be worth it to trade the truck in for a 2020 and get all the other extras lol

I actually considered this. All the way until I thought about how much work it would be to take everything off of this truck and put it on the new truck. Sliders, Bumper, lights, all the wiring, roof rack, suspension, etc. then I thought, screw that, I'm WAY too lazy.

I actually considered this. All the way until I thought about how much work it would be to take everything off of this truck and put it on the new truck. Sliders, Bumper, lights, all the wiring, roof rack, suspension, etc. then I thought, screw that, I'm WAY too lazy.

I, too, considered trading in before I started cutting my front bumper when they announced all the changes, but it was not worth taking the hit in trade-in value. I think it was like a $5-10k loss if I traded in my TRD Pro for another one? Idk... I did the math a long time ago. lol. But, It'll less than $2k if you apply the code and get a trade in for it. I calculate about $1500 before tax, if there is any. I think that's fairly priced around the other aftermarket brands that are making one, and you'll maintain OEM look.

We will see what happens when its paid off. Mines is a 16, so I dont have the automatic rear window or any of the cool stuff. Aaaaand, the RAV4 I just picked up has Apple Car Play in it and I LOVE IT. Plus, I miss the new car smell. LOL

Back