• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Anyone use a gimbal to film? DJI OSMO?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I’m out here feeling like an idiot because I don’t really understand how to use this fancy thing and I can’t get it to properly do the one thing it should do... steadily focus on my target.

Anyone use these that can maybe help this poor soul before I just drive over it instead?

Example of my 50th fail:
View attachment 25973

I can't see video, only audio on your post.

I use this: Hohem Gimbal iPhone/etc

There's an app for it, that I'm not going to download/install, for tracking and such. There is a point where the controls invert, perhaps crossing a predetermined point of an axis that inverts the up/down and left/right.

Most of the time it's fine but for some reason while hiking it will drift or not move based upon my input but then swing wide. Like it realized it was supposed to be doing what I tell it to.

There's an app for it, that I'm not going to download/install, for tracking and such. There is a point where the controls invert, perhaps crossing a predetermined point of an axis that inverts the up/down and left/right.

Most of the time it's fine but for some reason while hiking it will drift or not move based upon my input but then swing wide. Like it realized it was supposed to be doing what I tell it to.
Video shows on my phone so the problem of it not showing in my browser must mean the problem exists between the keyboard and chair.

Depending on the gimbal and the camera, they should talk to each other to identify what is supposed to be targeted and go from there.

Driving ATM so I’ll read your post later.

But about not seeing the video, is it possibly due to an ad blocker or browser extension?

So I got my wife and we managed to film the full video tour of my camper. She had better control of the gimbal than I did, but even then you’ll see it having a mind of its own in the finished video.

So I got my wife and we managed to film the full video tour of my camper. She had better control of the gimbal than I did, but even then you’ll see it having a mind of its own in the finished video.
You using the DJI Osmo Pocket? I fought with my gimbal on my newest hiking video. I cut a lot of the cursing and man handling of the darn thing so it would point at what I want the video to capture.

Perhaps that's why the folks that make the really smooth videos use a harness and 2 handed setup. Nevertheless, I'm sure the video will be good to go.

Are you plugging it into your phone or are you using it standalone?

I love my osmo but the screen is small. Using the touchscreen you should be able to control where the camera points but plugging it into your iphone will give you the best controls. I believe it can do object tracking but I usually just pilot it using the iphone touchscreen. I love the richness of the color quality in the video it captures and the sound is surprisingly good.

edit: ps I can't see the video either. windows 10, firefox latest, adblockers off. audio only.

You using the DJI Osmo Pocket? I fought with my gimbal on my newest hiking video. I cut a lot of the cursing and man handling of the darn thing so it would point at what I want the video to capture.

Perhaps that's why the folks that make the really smooth videos use a harness and 2 handed setup. Nevertheless, I'm sure the video will be good to go.
I think the one I have is the Osmo 3. I just got done editing most of the video so I’ll be able to share the whole thing in a little bit and you can see what I meant.

Are you plugging it into your phone or are you using it standalone?

I love my osmo but the screen is small. Using the touchscreen you should be able to control where the camera points but plugging it into your iphone will give you the best controls. I believe it can do object tracking but I usually just pilot it using the iphone touchscreen. I love the richness of the color quality in the video it captures and the sound is surprisingly good.

edit: ps I can't see the video either. windows 10, firefox latest, adblockers off. audio only.
Mine works over Bluetooth and doesn’t have its own screen.

Thanks for letting me know about the video, I need to figure that out.

nah, audio again on my end :/

So wait, your osmo doesn't have the attachment to plug it into the bottom of your iphone? They hook up and then your iphone becomes the viewfinder and controls...

nah, audio again on my end :/

So wait, your osmo doesn't have the attachment to plug it into the bottom of your iphone? They hook up and then your iphone becomes the viewfinder and controls...
It might, I'll have to look into that. And I need to figure out the issue with the video uploading here.

That thing is sweet! More spacious than I'd expect. rad

I use a DJI Ronin S with my a7sii Balancing is not great. I love everything abou tit except the stability. Which is the only thing that matters. I thought about an Osmo, but the camera wasn't what I needed. I also hate iPhone video so that's not worth it given how stable a new iphone is anyway.

-M

I use a DJI Ronin S with my a7sii Balancing is not great. I love everything abou tit except the stability. Which is the only thing that matters. I thought about an Osmo, but the camera wasn't what I needed. I also hate iPhone video so that's not worth it given how stable a new iphone is anyway.

-M
You guys are mentioning a camera on the Osmo. I didn't know they had one with a built in camera. Is it kind of like using a GoPro?

You guys are mentioning a camera on the Osmo. I didn't know they had one with a built in camera. Is it kind of like using a GoPro?
There was an Osmo that had the camera from the Inspire Drone. It's discontinued. You have the Osmo Mobile. And then there's a tiny littke Osmo that is more like a GoPro.

There is a feature on it called tracking. I have the Pro so I am not familiar with the OSMO
I was filming my next video with it yesterday and ended up taking it off the gimbal and just held the phone. I know these things are useful but it just isn't behaving properly for me. And I'm not that dumb so idk...

Back