• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Any recommendations for Maine?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Taking our camper from NY to Maine for 4-5 days for our anniversary. Any suggested hiking/truck trails? The only thing we have planned right now is the National Park.

I actually grew up there in a little town called Surry, it's not too far from Bar Harbor and Arcadia NP. As far as trails, I was raised before GPS and maps I can just say that there are tons of logging roads that I used to explore in my 85' Ram. I would check out Toddy Pond, Patten Pond and Newberry Neck in Surry, climb Blue Hill mountain in Blue Hill, visit Graham Lake, it is North of Ellsworth in some unincorporated land and hit Baxter State Park and Mt Katahdin.

Last edited:
I actually grew up there in a little town called Surry, it's not too far from Bar Harbor and Arcadia NP. As far as trails, I was raised before GPS and maps I can just say that there are tons of logging roads that I used to explore in my 85' Ram. I would check out Toddy Pond, Patten Pond and Newberry Neck in Surry, climb Blue Hill mountain in Blue Hill, visit Graham Lake, it is North of Ellsworth in some unincorporated land and hit Baxter State Park and Mt Katahdin.
If I come across a dirt road without signs, is it usually fair game?

If I come across a dirt road without signs, is it usually fair game?
It was 25 years ago. For the most part people in Maine are very chill, if you shouldn't be there, it should have no trespassing signs. If you come across a pissed off local just throw on a Red Sox cap and tell them you are "wicked sorry".

It was 25 years ago. For the most part people in Maine are very chill, if you shouldn't be there, it should have no trespassing signs. If you come across a pissed off local just throw on a Red Sox cap and tell them you are "wicked sorry".
Got it, thanks for the good info. Definitely going to keep those spots you mentioned in our route options.

If you hit Acadia, the eastern side of park is called Schoodic point. Takes an extra hour to get to it (across the bay from Bar Harbor), but has a really nice, quiet vibe to it. Nice hike to the top of schoodic mountain, and the "Raven's Nest" is a neat rocky outcropping along schoodic road. Schoodic point has probably the most beautiful and awe inspiring rock formations, and since it sticks out in the ocean a good bit the waves crash and dance while the tide is coming in.
76AA214B-5527-4285-972D-2273A353B3EE.jpeg

lovely little lighthouse on that side of the park.
BC9DFD3B-331E-465D-B304-CD4B75763A12.jpeg

rocks and such at sunset

E9D28650-08DD-41A0-B355-0990F0CDD7FE.jpeg

View from just below Schoodic head (which you can drive to and sit in your truck and watch)

68AE26C1-4C43-40EE-933C-7036CC1EFFA7.jpeg

view along the coast at low tide...with a few scraggly Homo erectus specimens here and there.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, costs about $30 per person (not including drinks), but "Sea Salt" is the best restaurant in the area, has a nice view of the bay, and has an outstanding wine collection, and a fun art collection of local photography and mediums in the painting/drawing category.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, costs about $30 per person (not including drinks), but "Sea Salt" is the best restaurant in the area, has a nice view of the bay, and has an outstanding wine collection, and a fun art collection of local photography and mediums in the painting/drawing category.
Awesome, thank you.

@Paige lots of good info in this thread.

I’m from Maine (live in Colorado now) as well. Not sure if you are venturing away from coast, inland, but Baxter State Park is nice. Just outside of Milinocket. It’s about 4ish hours north of Portland on 95. Great views and lots of wildlife. Bar Harbor, Freeport are some tourist traps, but still nice to visit. Route 1 follows the coast, which is a nice drive. Eat a lobster, whoopie-pie, and wash them down with a Moxie ( best soda ever!). Also Fort Knox is pretty cool to check out too if you have time.
E6D29B83-4D7F-4CD4-A217-836F97D0B9B2.jpeg

Moxie is disgusting. :sick:
water is good.
Lol! I too drink water all the time. I’m in Colorado now so Moxie isn’t here. Though my wife did find a specialty store that can order it. I use it as a treat now instead of drinking it all the time. Still would rather have Moxie than any other soda though.

wow, looks beautiful! Enjoy the trip, my wife is always talking about visiting Maine I just don't know a thing about it. Seems great!

I’m sure you linked up with the guys from northeast adventure co already. I bet knowing your pull in the Tacoma/ offroad/ overlanding community they wouldn’t mind sharing some spots.

I’m sure you linked up with the guys from northeast adventure co already. I bet knowing your pull in the Tacoma/ offroad/ overlanding community they wouldn’t mind sharing some spots.
I never updated this thread on how our trip went but it was amazing and Acadia quickly became one of our favorites.

1B8DF656-8C63-49E9-A1E2-5853BA96605F.jpeg
6E7EBFE1-B728-4CEF-A2AF-1206F1B16B27.jpeg

Looks like you had a lovely time. It's a cool place with an aura like no other.

Hope you sank your teeth into some fresh lobster :)

Looks like you had a lovely time. It's a cool place with an aura like no other.

Hope you sank your teeth into some fresh lobster :)
We got lobster rolls for $70, lol. I think she got a soup too though.

You climbed Precipice Trail, that was always one of my favorites!

Back