• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

air bag light says off on dash

ANKLEDEEP

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
i wish to turn it on so passenger is protected!- how do you do it?

Is someone sitting in the seat? There's a weight sensor. Once enough weight is there, the light will stop blinking.
It's so it doesn't injure children or small adults. 36 kg (79.3 lb)

Modern seat occupancy detectors should be able to tell the difference between a car seat, child, small adult, large adult. Is there an airbag warning lamp on in the instrument cluster, too?

Test there is! Does the dash light stay on and illuminate always when a passenger that meets the weight requirements sits there and wearing the seat belt

The Tacoma's occupancy detector sensor does not detect if it's a car seat, child, small adult or large adult. It detects more or less than 75 lbs.

What year is it? Did you buy it new? Was it in an accident? Does it always behave the same way or does it stop blinking or change up? You're missing a lot of info. I'd check and make sure everything is plugged in. Unplug and reconnect the connectors to the seat. There's I think 2 underneath.
Last time I disabled mine, it was a magnetic sensor. Not sure if it's still the same in the Tacoma. You should sit in it or have someone who weights way over the 80lbs to be sure. Sometimes error or placement can throw off a sensor. It's not a smart sensor. The last Toyota I messed with was a magnet. It was mounted on the factory seat, I removed it and then just stuck it on the seat brackets. No mounting. Just stuck on there and slid around because of the magnet and it just worked.

1683256107974.png

Are you talking about the light on the left or right? Once there's 75 lbs + on the passenger seat, the light on the right should stop blinking and be solid. Then should say On.

1683254774464.png

I have a 2020 SR model I bought with no accidents.The light stays on and does NOT go off when a passenger exceeding 100# is sitting there! It goes off ! It does when no one is sitting there. Is this normal?

I have a 2020 SR model I bought with no accidents.The light stays on and does NOT go off when a passenger exceeding 100# is sitting there! It goes off ! It does when no one is sitting there. Is this normal?
So it's on when someone over 100lbs is sitting there and then goes off when no one is sitting there?

That might be normal? If you look real close, I think part of the light says off. When there's enough weight, I think it turns off. I think part of the icon actually says off. So then there is an indicator stating if it's on or off.

So one indicator blinks and flashes saying it's off. The other says it's on and that one should be solid. I'll check when I get out to the truck.
1683336807330.png

Me sitting on the seat. This means active on don't put a baby seat on the seat.
PXL_20230506_020725228.jpg

Nothing on the seat.
PXL_20230506_020741722.jpg

Nothing on seat, seat belt buckled. As if someone under 79lbs is in the seat. Off because a deployed airbag would be unsafe for the light weight.
PXL_20230506_020954790.jpg

If you interpreted it correctly...
Try someone really heavy in the seat. Might just need to bump the sensor back into alignment. Sometimes a heavy person or strong jolt is enough to reset it. Like how floating bobbers get stuck in gas tanks. Worth trying.

I have a 2022 this is how mine works,...
Turn on ignition or start vehicle both lights ON/OFF light up.
Moments later both go OUT (if nothing is in the seat)
If I have between 20-75 lbs. in the seat the OFF-light illuminates.
If I have more than 75 lbs. the ON-light illuminates.
If I am driving with nothing in the seat no lights are illuminated.

Last edited:
If you have more than 75# in the passenger seat does the air bag light stay ON the whole time?

Should be:
1683420108856.png

On is lit up. The crossed out circle means don't put a rear facing baby seat in the seat.
Also if no lights, then it's off. Won't always light up when empty.

1683420419809.png

If you have more than 75# in the passenger seat does the air bag light stay ON the whole time?
Yes, if 75 lbs or more it stays ON.
Mine will not light up anything if driving down the road with nothing in the seat.

Check when you first turn on the ignition and start the truck if BOTH lights ON and OFF light up for a couple seconds. This is normal.

Back