• ⚙️ 3rd & 4th Gen Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016+ Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest. Read more about us...

Advice for a newbie

TrailMercs

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
Reaction score
2018 Inferno Off-Road Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic
So im new to the 4x4 game. I've had my inferno off road twice so far. nothing crazy but had a lot of fun. my question to you guys is what was your first mod and would you make a different decision if you had to start all over again?

Silent_Taco4x4

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
2017 White Off-Road Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic
So im new to the 4x4 game. I've had my inferno off road twice so far. nothing crazy but had a lot of fun. my question to you guys is what was your first mod and would you make a different decision if you had to start all over again?
Welcome to the 4x4 club, my first mod was a rear bumper. If I could do it over my first mod would have been a suspension upgrade.

Soldato321

3️⃣ Silver
T3G Member
Reaction score
First Name
Saverio
Instagram
@Saverio5280
2018 White Off-Road Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic
I’m new to the 4x4 club also. My first “real” mod is going to be suspension.
Tires & wheels don’t count (my wife fell for it!)

951_yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Instagram
@951_yota
2017 Silver Sky Off-Road Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic

My first mod was sliders, lift, tires. If i had to do it over again I would not got 285’s Id go 265/70 ko2’s. I spent way too much money regearing etc and loss of mpg with bigger tires.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
T3G Member
Reaction score
Instagram
@wanderingwinterfields
YouTube
/wanderingwinterfields
2017 Quicksand Off-Road Double Cab, Long Bed Automatic (Build Thread)
get sliders if offroading.

Look up why Tyler regrets not getting sliders first if you don't know his story
Seriously. Get sliders first. Or at least order them now because it usually takes 6+ weeks to receive them.

Tires and lift are usually the go-to first mod, and while that is fine, they’re still not gonna prevent body damage from when you push your truck too far.

26E4BA14-012F-4279-96A8-222CAD7845C9.jpeg
17B0980A-6D61-4D4B-9C91-6580E35CA619.jpeg

KBear

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allison
Instagram
@orangenation_trd
Sliders are definitely top of the list for off-roading. MeSo turn signals were my first mod on the truck, not essential for off-roading but certainly make the truck look more badass.

jeremy5000

2️⃣ Bronze
T3G Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Instagram
@jeremy5000
Sliders are a must in my opinion for when you start off roading. These trucks aren't cheap, and without sliders you can seriously mess some things up when having fun on the trails.