• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Adding a Camera (Dog Crate)?

NVTaco

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2021 Pro DCSB Auto
White
Does anyone know if there is an extra channel available in the factory setup to add a camera? I have the four factory cameras, just not sure if there is an extra channel. I'd like to add a camera to my dogs crate, in the backseat, so I'm not having to turn around and try to peer in. Preferred would be the ability to view through the stock system, though if there is a BT option that I can view through AndriodAuto, I could do that as well.

Attachments

• 20210117_143230.jpg
    20210117_143230.jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 43
I don't know if the '21s are compatible with the Anytime Front Camera setup. But, you may be able to set that up and just point it in the direction of your crate. Why not get one of those mirrors parents use to watch their kids in the backseat? Does your doggo usually have problems in the crate that you're worried about?

I don't know if the '21s are compatible with the Anytime Front Camera setup. But, you may be able to set that up and just point it in the direction of your crate. Why not get one of those mirrors parents use to watch their kids in the backseat? Does your doggo usually have problems in the crate that you're worried about?
It is compatible, but cuts out at like 35mph., which I guess would happen any ways if I was able to add another camera... Hmmm....

I've always been able to view the door of the crate in most SUVs, however, to fit it in the backseat of the Tacoma, it is sideways and the vent holes are really too small to get a good view, so the baby mirror will not work. This is the vent holes on the side of the crate:
Screenshot_20210118-124140_Video Player.jpg

She is a tri-paw'd, so I am a bit worried about her stability when turning and offroad as when laying down, she can easily be thrown off balance to the side with the missing leg - so it would be good for me to see which way she is laying in the crate.

I can tell I have the same crate as you. I prefer it being sideways, the dog is much less likely to slam their face into the door if I need to brake hard. I tossed a welcome mat into mine to give him some traction, never had an issue with him sliding around after that.

Mine has all four and I have not done much offroading yet, so you may have more of a challenge than me. If you're going above 35 mph, I would be very surprised if the roads are rough enough to give an issue.

Don't think I can give any technical help, but I just don't want you to over-complicate the problem.

I'm running a Ruff Tough Kennel (now Ruff Land Kennels), and yesterday was the first trip for my dog in the crate sideways. Previous she was use to it being parallel with the vehicle when it was in an SUV, and I enjoyed that as I had a clear view of her. I have 1" of memory foam and a thin cloth crate mat as a base, but unfortunately it slides during harsh cornering and braking. I may buy a wetmutt mat to stop the sliding.

Yesterday was a 14 hour trip, and not having a view of her bothered me; I'm probably just over protective, but I'll never have children and she is basically my baby. As for off-roading, I was thinking more about the hundreds, if not thousands, of miles of graded, wash-boarded, roads I frequently travel here in NV. I'll still look for solutions...

Back