• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

ACC in the rain

AltarBoy

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Voodoo Blue
For the members with adaptive cruise control. Is it normal for it to forget there’s a vehicle in front of you in moderate rainfall and just accelerate up to set speed? Happened to me a few times.

I’ve not had this happen to me yet, but seems feasible considering the rain could cause the forward radar to loose sight of it’s objective. Adaptive cruise control has it’s quirks. The one that often gets me is when I’m cruising down the interstate on cruise control and someone in front of me will change into my lane causing the pre-collision system to hard brake. That’ll get your attention.

Hasn't happened to me yet......agree with Rick, when it auto-brakes be

I’ve had the emergency braking but when the vehicle infront of me goes on the exit ramp

I don’t use cruise in the rain at all. I worry about losing traction at some point and the truck giving more gas to get caught up and running into issues. When I was a firefighter I had a state trooper tell me he’d seen a lot of accidents that way.

I don't use the ACC. I say that, but I have used it 1 time. I'm not really a fan. My wifes car has lane keep and acc, it's far more advanced than the Tacoma.

Not a fan. Too many slows and hard breaks.

I've seen very, very few false positives from radar due to rainfall feedback, and false negatives should NEVER happen from rain. My guess would be that you were driving on some hilly terrain and the radar lost the detection?

I had very false positives on my Tacoma either, but I think that was due to activating cruise around a turn. The brake jabs were not bad either. I think it's a lot of the grille or bumper for people, and probably dependent on Toyota's slight changes in their designs over the years.

To be clear:
* false positive = radar detects a car that doesn't exist
* false negative = radar does not detect a car that does exist

I've read that the PCS uses the camera up top, but does ACC? If it does, then that might be another reason to not use it in the rain. It may not be able to see through a wet windshield.

Snow blocking the sensor has been my only issue. I like the ACC even though it can be a little dramatic at times.

I've read that the PCS uses the camera up top, but does ACC? If it does, then that might be another reason to not use it in the rain. It may not be able to see through a wet windshield.
You'd need two cameras for ACC. Toyota doesn't have that kind of detection yet, their camera is only for the lane keeping warnings. I'd hope you'd see far more warnings if they used the camera for ACC.

Most car manufacturers aren't using cameras for detection either. Subaru and Tesla are really the only two that I know of, but that could easily be incorrect/outdated info.

Back