• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

5 FIRST MODS FOR AN OFF-ROAD BUILD (My Opinion)

Jesse Rizo

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
1. Suspension/Lift (for clearance)
2. Tires (even if just upgraded on your stock rims) Wheels for looks/wider base
3. Lighting (Leds, Pods, Light bars, etc.)
4. Armor (sliders,skid plates, etc.)
5. Recovery Gear (Straps, shackled, winch for more aggressive off-roading etc.)
6. Watch the video for extra clips if you’d like.
What’s your thoughts on this?

For someone who knows they will be wheeling their truck:
  1. Sliders. They are necessary with or without a lift. But unlike a lift, they actually prevent damage.
  2. Suspension lift. You have your sliders, now you have increased ground clearance.
  3. Tires. Now that you have more room from the lift you can fit larger tires with less issue.
  4. Winch. You should’ve already had other recovery gear but now it’s time for a winch. (Could be dependent on front bumper choice, however.)
  5. Armor. You can get away with stock bumpers and skids, but the extra clearance and durability from aftermarket ones is substantial for serious wheeling.
  6. Lighting. While useful, it shouldn’t be a priority. It won’t help you get over obstacles or not break things. But having good lighting is like night and day (see what I did there?).

For someone who knows they will be wheeling their truck:
  1. Sliders. They are necessary with or without a lift. But unlike a lift, they actually prevent damage.
  2. Suspension lift. You have your sliders, now you have increased ground clearance.
  3. Tires. Now that you have more room from the lift you can fit larger tires with less issue.
  4. Winch. You should’ve already had other recovery gear but now it’s time for a winch. (Could be dependent on front bumper choice, however.)
  5. Armor. You can get away with stock bumpers and skids, but the extra clearance and durability from aftermarket ones is substantial for serious wheeling.
  6. Lighting. While useful, it shouldn’t be a priority. It won’t help you get over obstacles or not break things. But having good lighting is like night and day (see what I did there?).
You made it right ;) lol thank you

You’re just showing off now.

Not just because we make them; but sliders and skids are what I always recommend first if you plan on wheeling. I would not wheel a truck lifted or not without armor. Rockers and broken in half t-cases are expensive to fix (y)

Not just because we make them; but sliders and skids are what I always recommend first if you plan on wheeling. I would not wheel a truck lifted or not without armor. Rockers and broken in half t-cases are expensive to fix (y)
I agree couple hundred spent now can save you thousands later

Sounds like @Victory4x4 should put together a discounted slider / skid package.... :p see what I did there.

Can build Off Road Tier Kits :)
OK, this month we'll knock 15% off for anyone that wants to order our sliders and any/all skids together. The engine/trans skid is still in development, but those components are by far the most protected in the truck. You'll have to call the sale team for the discount though, 269-353-1184 (y)

OK, this month we'll knock 15% off for anyone that wants to order our sliders and any/all skids together. The engine/trans skid is still in development, but those components are by far the most protected in the truck. You'll have to call the sale team for the discount though, 269-353-1184 (y)

Awesome, thank you for doing that, hopefully folks eat up that deal (unfortunately I've already got money accounted for).

That’s what I’m talking about ;) lol

Totally agree. I still need to get some sliders. You never know what the trail is going to throw at you!

Last edited:
Back