• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Audio 3rd generation stereo

scottharrell7@

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I’m new to this site and just wanted to share some of my experiences with putting together a system in my double cab. I can tell you I wasted a lot of time and money trying every possible combinations of speakers and amplifiers possible. I know that is part of the hobby, but I wish someone would have told me what I know now!!! Lol !!! I ended up going with JL HD 600/4, 1200/1 amps, bit one processor and alpine type x 6x9 in the front doors and the tweeter in the dash, 6 1/2 type x in the rear doors and a jl stealth box. My only regrets is the money spent getting there. I went so far at one time to put utopia 3 ways with a McIntosh amplifier and a 12 inch morel sub!!!
I feel I personally I have finally reached the “best “ sound with alot less expensive components using JL and Alpine. Thanks for reading and I hope this gives someone ideas.

Hello everyone,
I’m new to this site and just wanted to share some of my experiences with putting together a system in my double cab. I can tell you I wasted a lot of time and money trying every possible combinations of speakers and amplifiers possible. I know that is part of the hobby, but I wish someone would have told me what I know now!!! Lol !!! I ended up going with JL HD 600/4, 1200/1 amps, bit one processor and alpine type x 6x9 in the front doors and the tweeter in the dash, 6 1/2 type x in the rear doors and a jl stealth box. My only regrets is the money spent getting there. I went so far at one time to put utopia 3 ways with a McIntosh amplifier and a 12 inch morel sub!!!
I feel I personally I have finally reached the “best “ sound with alot less expensive components using JL and Alpine. Thanks for reading and I hope this gives someone ideas.
I went with a full rockford setup and a custom sub box holding 2 full size 10s.
R169X3 In the front
Pioneer 3.5" competition tweeters
R165X3 in the rear
P1S4-10 x2
And a Rockford Prime 500 watt mono amp only powering the subs
Threw in a Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX
(overpriced ofc wiring for all the things lol)

Honestly after it all i think it sounds amazing, my brother has focals and all expensive ass speakers and he says mine actually competes and he regrets having spent over 3k in sound, for my sub thousand dollar system (not counting the head unit) to compete with that, gotta say im happy lol

I just bought some Subaru Kickers to replace the stock dash speakers...

I went with a full rockford setup and a custom sub box holding 2 full size 10s.
R169X3 In the front
Pioneer 3.5" competition tweeters
R165X3 in the rear
P1S4-10 x2
And a Rockford Prime 500 watt mono amp only powering the subs
Threw in a Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX
(overpriced ofc wiring for all the things lol)

Honestly after it all i think it sounds amazing, my brother has focals and all expensive ass speakers and he says mine actually competes and he regrets having spent over 3k in sound, for my sub thousand dollar system (not counting the head unit) to compete with that, gotta say im happy lol
I’m glad your happy with the way it turned out. I would like to hear someone else’s Tacoma to compare to mine. Anyone in the Tampa area that installed a system in their 3 gen Tacoma ? I still highly recommend the alpine type x 6x9 components and the stealth box works well in the space it takes up.

I’m glad your happy with the way it turned out. I would like to hear someone else’s Tacoma to compare to mine. Anyone in the Tampa area that installed a system in their 3 gen Tacoma ? I still highly recommend the alpine type x 6x9 components and the stealth box works well in the space it takes up.
Im in the Miami Area!

I did full Kicker door speakers with subaru tweets, im happy going to add under seat 10" woofer, and we will see if that helps if not putting in an equalizer to piggy back factory radio to tune out when you get to 50 it goes to super highs and lowers bass, Also Dynomat door panels on my list.

I did full Kicker door speakers with subaru tweets, im happy going to add under seat 10" woofer, and we will see if that helps if not putting in an equalizer to piggy back factory radio to tune out when you get to 50 it goes to super highs and lowers bass, Also Dynomat door panels on my list.
I ditched the factory entune pos…. I’m using a kenwood dd with maestro adapters. Works like the factory did…. I’m also using a bit one that Is tuned with a bit tune….

I ditched the factory entune pos…. I’m using a kenwood dd with maestro adapters. Works like the factory did…. I’m also using a bit one that Is tuned with a bit tune….
I use the Entunes logs for routine maintenance plus have not found a stereo i really like to replace it with they all seem not much better than what i got except for apple car play. Found out Taco Tunes has an add amp that mounts under seat and its under 500, and wires to everything so you can keep factory radio. Cant get a good double din 7" screen under 500.

I use the Entunes logs for routine maintenance plus have not found a stereo i really like to replace it with they all seem not much better than what i got except for apple car play. Found out Taco Tunes has an add amp that mounts under seat and its under 500, and wires to everything so you can keep factory radio. Cant get a good double din 7" screen under 500.
Joying head unit is a nice upgrade and you get 9in screen and still looks oem
20210406_155802.jpg

CarTrimHome PX6 is worth looking at if you want a Android Touch Screen Unit. Does everything. Cheap. Plug and Play. Has steering wheel control compatibility, change factory options and anytime cam.

I ended up upgrading all the speakers and subs on a JBL Premium then grabbed the PX6 unit.

Last edited:
Joying head unit is a nice upgrade and you get 9in screen and still looks oem
20210406_155802.jpg
You have a link to that handy, or the Model Number? My head unit just died on me the other day. Clearly some corrupted firmware, and without an upgrade, there doesn't seem to be a way to force a fix. The OEM unit is pretty lame anyway, so I've been looking for an upgrade.

Plug n Play is definitely the way I'd like to go for a radio anyway, so just want to make sure I'm getting the right unit.

I feel your passion concerning your sounds, use to be the same for me. But after four combat tours and fifteen years of Naval aviation anything other than the stock radio is lost on these old ears.

I feel your passion concerning your sounds, use to be the same for me. But after four combat tours and fifteen years of Naval aviation anything other than the stock radio is lost on these old ears.
Go louder!

So I did it. Pulled my stereo and all the wiring and speakers to put the stock stereo back in. After that I traded my 2017 SR5 for a 2021 TRD Pro, which I had for week before returning it for 2021 Limited Nightshade 4x4. So if anyone wants to know my thoughts on the difference on the 2 maybe I could start a separate post. In the meantime it’s back the drawing board for the stereo system in the new limited. Mainly because the JBL system lacks something. I think if it was 20 yrs ago, it would sound great in comparison to other factors stereos.

Would love to hear about the 2 my nightshade just arrived in toronto hopefully it’s going to be at the dealer this week

I was in on the original group buy JL did when they released the stealth box for the 3rd gen. man I love it!! not pushing as much power as you though. using a xd 700/5v2 as an amp, but it pushes plenty hard.

Would love to hear about the 2 my nightshade just arrived in toronto hopefully it’s going to be at the dealer this week
So I’ve had the nightshade for a month now. There is a lot of similarities to the TRD pro, the interior less the red stitching which I really liked is the same . The shifter on the trd pro looked cool but felt uncomfortable to rest my hand on compared to the shifter on the limited. The jbl systems and cameras are the same except the compass is different and the limited doesn’t have the pitch / roll display. I really didn’t care for the exhaust on the pro, in my opinion it was to loud and the exhaust tip was corroded looking. I know the Trd pro has the fox suspension which I’m sure is amazing off road but I didn’t care for the rocking back and forth every time i came to stop. I do miss the lift kit so I’m looking at lifted my limited. Overall I think I feel more comfortable in the limited but I came from having an SR5 for the past 5 years so I’m sure that has something to do with it. Appearance wise I like the trd pro a little more, but the night shade has its own look which I like too. Personal don’t care for the factory limited wheels so I will be replacing them in the future along with the entire jbl stereo except the head unit which will be a challenge.

I have some stuff coming from Crutchfield to go with my JL C2's and JL JD 4/100. Pics coming soon.

All:

So not being an audiophile, I am looking for an affordable head unit that will accept 720P AHD signal from my new front facing camera from Natika. Preferably not all touch screen. I like me some dials for the volume and main functions.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
1646837590723.png

When I originally bought the Taco, I swore to myself that I wasn't going to screw with the stereo. But after a few months, I decided that just replacing the door/dash speakers would be easy and a huge upgrade, I ended up getting a Audio Control LC7i, an amp and and JL Audio C2's. Already being further into it than I ever wanted to be, I swore that I wasn't going to do anything else. Then after buying a 2020 RAV4 for the girlfriend at the time and having Apple Carplay for the first time, I got a little jealous and wanted that in my truck. Then GAIA GPS said that their app is compatible with Carplay. *Sigh*. I have an iPad that runs my GAIA when I go play in the dirt but jeez, it takes up space and its just something else I need to mount in the truck when I go camping.
FINE GOD, you win. LOL. I'm on vacation all next week. Any guesses on what I will be doing? Im so ADD when I install audio equipment in my vehicles, Im guessing its gonna take me the better part of 2 or 3 days to get this installed and the wires run clean to the back where the amp is......and the future amp for the future sub since I have already gone this far.

Attachments

• alpine.jpg
    alpine.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
When I originally bought the Taco, I swore to myself that I wasn't going to screw with the stereo. But after a few months, I decided that just replacing the door/dash speakers would be easy and a huge upgrade, I ended up getting a Audio Control LC7i, an amp and and JL Audio C2's. Already being further into it than I ever wanted to be, I swore that I wasn't going to do anything else. Then after buying a 2020 RAV4 for the girlfriend at the time and having Apple Carplay for the first time, I got a little jealous and wanted that in my truck. Then GAIA GPS said that their app is compatible with Carplay. *Sigh*. I have an iPad that runs my GAIA when I go play in the dirt but jeez, it takes up space and its just something else I need to mount in the truck when I go camping.
FINE GOD, you win. LOL. I'm on vacation all next week. Any guesses on what I will be doing? Im so ADD when I install audio equipment in my vehicles, Im guessing its gonna take me the better part of 2 or 3 days to get this installed and the wires run clean to the back where the amp is......and the future amp for the future sub since I have already gone this far.
I use Gaia on my Joying unit. It's nice! I may spring for the paid version this year for my off road trips.

I’m so happy to see I’m not the only one with these kind of issues.

Back