• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

3rd Gen Mod - AC Drain Drip - Avoid Under Carriage RUST

Taco-Loco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 Sport DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hello Taco Owners: I cam across a simple MOD recommendation which not only makes sense but explains why my previous 2nd Gen Tacoma SR5 had RUST on the skid plate. Turns-out that the AC drain dripped water right over the under carriage protective skid plat in the exact position where the plat screws into the frame. This resulted in RUST right on and around the skid plate and screw. In short, the AC drain drip was the root cause.

This can be remedied with a simple $10.00 or less repair. There is a video in You-Tube named "Do This To Your 3rd Gen Tacoma, IT WILL SAVE YOU". The video references some other Taco forum therefore I'm not including the link as I'm not promoting any other forum by sharing this information.

The procedure involves extending the factory AC drain drip hose so that the water doesn't drip directly on the protective skid plate or frame. In short, the holes is extended by attaching another hose with a clamp which extends the drip hose and avoid the risk of RUST.

I was sold by the idea and will be doing the same repair MOD on by new Taco TRD Sport. I hope this information helps others avoid the RUST issue.

Excellent Jfrish01, I was glad to have found the MOD recommendation for the AC drip. I'll be looking to purchase the parts this weekend. Hey, the YouTube video mentioned using a irrigation type hose. Which hose type did you use? Thx. for your help and guidance!

Excellent Jfrish01, I was glad to have found the MOD recommendation for the AC drip. I'll be looking to purchase the parts this weekend. Hey, the YouTube video mentioned using a irrigation type hose. Which hose type did you use? Thx. for your help and guidance!

I stopped at a farm and home place and used a heater hose. I do not remember the size off the top of my head.

Thanks for the tip... I will look for a hose that fits. Man, wish I had owned about this back when I purchased my 2nd Gen Taco RS5. I was upset when I noticed the rust during one of the oil changes. Never connected the dots to think it was the AC water dripping on the Skid plate and screw. Well, won't happen to my new Taco for sure. Thx. for sharing..

If anyone is wondering what size hose to use to extend the original AC hose, it is a 5/8 hose. I purchased 30" long and had about 1" left over after routing below the chassis. Also, I used a 1/2" Stainless Steel clamp. Purchased the hose at a local NAPA auto parts store.

The process will really simple and took no longer than 15 min. or less. The AC Drip hose is located on the passenger side of the vehicle. To make the install easier, gently remove the plastic fasteners holding the wheel well splash guard rubber cover. You will immediately see the 3" or some original black hose.

Good Luck and Enjoy your MOD.

I also did this mod a couple weeks into owning the truck. It's been 3 years now and I'm pleasantly surprised how well its held up. Considering I've gone water and mud up to the doors a couple of times. Like the OP said, I used 5/8 hose and ran it thru the frame so it drips right onto the ground. Just some extra piece of mind.

Thank you to Taco-Loco for the recommendation of this mod. I completed this simple modification this weekend.

Last edited:
Back