• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! 3rd Gen LS Swap?

Not that I've ever heard of.. Ik a guy on TikTok and Instagram (can't remember his tag) who 12 valve swapped his 3rd Gen. It's nice. But why LS swap your Taco and make it unreliable?

Not that I've ever heard of.. Ik a guy on TikTok and Instagram (can't remember his tag) who 12 valve swapped his 3rd Gen. It's nice. But why LS swap your Taco and make it unreliable?
That’s definitely what’s holding me back. I doubt I would do it anytime soon personally. I couldn’t justify pulling out an engine so “young” so to speak just for more power. I would have to wait many many years until this thing fell apart which in reality could very well never happen haha.

Honestly, I wouldn't do a thing to the engine. Maybe tune it if anything and re-gear it when I get lift and tires but even then, a 2" lift with 33's might not need to be re-geared. To me, swapping our 3.5L engines are the dumbest things we could do. That's just my opinion

Honestly, I wouldn't do a thing to the engine. Maybe tune it if anything and re-gear it when I get lift and tires but even then, a 2" lift with 33's might not need to be re-geared. To me, swapping our 3.5L engines are the dumbest things we could do. That's just my opinion
I am definitely going to Regear soon and tune it. But I think if I was to do a swap it would have to be after the engine completely dies which is going to be a really really long time LOL.

Nah bro, Yoda engines never die you gotta really push it to kill it haha. I wouldn't regear if you're all stock tho, Idk anything about your rig, or a lot about regearing and all that hopefully someone else can weigh in

This isn't really what the Help feature is for. Please leave that for guys that are stranded somewhere or in a pickle and need immediate assistance.

That said, I'm beyond sick of LS swaps lol.

This isn't really what the Help feature is for. Please leave that for guys that are stranded somewhere or in a pickle and need immediate assistance.

That said, I'm beyond sick of LS swaps lol.
I had no idea that’s what the help section was for my bad. Maybe that section should be renamed lol, it makes sense now that it has been explained but for someone who doesn’t know (like me) it just seems like a “help” I have a question kind of thing.

I agree, maybe super charge the v6, but otherwise leave it alone. If you want a huge engine in an off-road vehicle, a rubicon 392 is factory ready.

Nah bro, Yoda engines never die you gotta really push it to kill it haha. I wouldn't regear if you're all stock tho, Idk anything about your rig, or a lot about regearing and all that hopefully someone else can weigh in
These trucks are horribly geared from the factory even if they are completely stock they should be regeared.
I agree, maybe super charge the v6, but otherwise leave it alone. If you want a huge engine in an off-road vehicle, a rubicon 392 is factory ready.
That has been my plan was to either get the Magnuson Supercharger or the ProCharger Supercharger. Can’t decide on either of those also LOL I’m so indecisive. I’ve seen a lot of great reviews on them but I’ve also seen a lot of people say that it’s not worth the seven grand plus the labor if you have someone else do it. I don’t know.

Last edited:
Get yourself a UZ1.

Idk man, if you think about it Toyota spends thousands of dollars to make their trucks run right, I wouldn't say they're horribly geared from factory. Yea I'm sure they could be better, but everything is to help with mpg's and all that fancy shit Idk much about

That has been my plan was to either get the Magnuson Supercharger or the ProCharger Supercharger. Can’t decide on either of those also LOL I’m so indecisive. I’ve seen a lot of great reviews on them but I’ve also seen a lot of people say that it’s not worth the seven grand plus the labor if you have someone else do it. I don’t know.
Overland Tune just got 360whp on their Magnussen VF Tune. The graph was pretty impressive. Still not worth spending $7k on.. but nice bump lol.

Idk man, if you think about it Toyota spends thousands of dollars to make their trucks run right, I wouldn't say they're horribly geared from factory. Yea I'm sure they could be better, but everything is to help with mpg's and all that fancy shit Idk much about
Exactly like you said, everything is intentionally built for better MPH performance not necessarily go fast performance. After all it is a truck it’s not meant to go fast LOL I guess I’m just part of that small community that wants the pre-runner or Baja style vehicle.

Last edited:
Overland Tune just got 360whp on their Magnussen VF Tune. The graph was pretty impressive. Still not worth spending $7k on.. but nice bump lol.
That is pretty bad ass but like you said it’s really really hard to justify spending thousands of dollars on them. I might have an easier time pulling the trigger on it if I had a first or second GEN.

Back