• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2wd with ocking dif?

Humble_Station12

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 DCSB
Blazing Blue Pearl
So I wanted to know what you guys think about installing an air locking diff in a 2wd trd sport?

Not for any crazy offroad crawling but for simple trails and over landing.

I'd recommend that. I have a few friends running 2wd trucks with rear lockers and you'd be surprised how well they keep up with the 4wd rigs with a good driver. One dude has a Lexus with an open rear and gets through some pretty gnarly stuff with his driving skills and big balls. Having the locker will make it even more capable and you will for sure get over some decent obstacles. I wouldn't push it too hard in mud holes though; that'll still probably result in being stuck if it's a bad hole.

What made you purchase a 2wd truck?

When I got the truck I never really thought I would be interested in the offroad and overlanding life. So I had no reason to pay the extra money and get a 4x4. Now I kinda wish I just did lol.

That's why I asked about the locking diff. I've been doing research about it and just wanted some advice about. I'm a newbie in the offroad scene

When I got the truck I never really thought I would be interested in the offroad and overlanding life. So I had no reason to pay the extra money and get a 4x4. Now I kinda wish I just did lol.

That's why I asked about the locking diff. I've been doing research about it and just wanted some advice about. I'm a newbie in the offroad scene
That makes sense. I think you should install one.

So I wanted to know what you guys think about installing an air locking diff in a 2wd trd sport?

Not for any crazy offroad crawling but for simple trails and over landing.

Did you have one brand in mind? I might be interested in this as well.

I had a jeep on 37s and barely went offroading. When I sold it and got the Tacoma, just got the SR5 2wd cause I got a decent deal. But locking diff would be nice to have.

Did you have one brand in mind? I might be interested in this as well.

I had a jeep on 37s and barely went offroading. When I sold it and got the Tacoma, just got the SR5 2wd cause I got a decent deal. But locking diff would be nice to have.

The only one I've seen so far, and I haven't done too much research, is the one from ARB. Going to need a compressor as well.

I think it is more expensive, but yes, not needing to do the onboard air is nice if you didn't plan to ever add air.

The ARB one is about 1000.00, so not to far off from the Harrop. Eventually I would want onboard air but the compressors are also a pretty penny lol. Harrop will give me an opportunity to have the locking diff and save for a compressor in the future

The ARB one is about 1000.00, so not to far off from the Harrop. Eventually I would want onboard air but the compressors are also a pretty penny lol. Harrop will give me an opportunity to have the locking diff and save for a compressor in the future
Well if you do get one, let us know how the install went on how well it engages and works. I've been curious about the Harrop myself but I only see people running the ARB.

Well if you do get one, let us know how the install went on how well it engages and works. I've been curious about the Harrop myself but I only see people running the ARB.

Of course! Its on the wish list right after wheels & tires ?

Awesome! You pick the wheels and tires yet?

Not yet been shopping around for some deals, would like the KO2s or the generals. Rim wise I love the scs but they are pricey. Trying to find some nice method ones instead

Back