• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2wd Tacoma

2wdTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
hey guys. Need some info on what’s needed for a novice that’s looking into doing some light off-roading. Just looking to get the kids to enjoy some nature. Have had my 2018 Sr5 just over a year now so not in a real hurry to trade in for a 4x4 Tacoma although they look awesome. Any info would help. Thanks. Also here’s a pic of what I’m working with.

Attachments

• 8D630B96-FBBD-497B-80C5-ADBC6FF6ED26.jpeg
    8D630B96-FBBD-497B-80C5-ADBC6FF6ED26.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 135
If you plan on light "off-roading" the first thing I would install on a 2wd is a winch. Sometimes "light" turns into "heavy"

welcome and enjoy

It looks like you have some all terrains already so that is a start. At minimum that is what you should have to do light wheeling in a 2wd.

Having recovery gear- winch is a good idea. Can get a carrier for your hitch that you can remove it anytime. It’s a good thing to have if you are by yourself.

One of the best things you can do is have a buddy wheeling with you. Find some locals that go out and tag along. If your new, there is nothing better than having an experienced off-roader with you.

I agree with all of the previous answers. One thing to add is, learn the terrain and areas that you're going to. It's really easy to end up in places that you really have no business being in, just because you "wanted to push a little bit farther". Happens to most, even those of us in 4x4's. Pay close attention to your vehicles ability and familiarize yourself with whatever terrain you'll be driving in, everytime you go out, and soon enough you'll be able to read most situations and adjust accordingly.

I'd say for surely get yourself a snatch strap as well as two pins for your hitch. One for you to mount to yours and one for you to mount to another truck. These can be used as attachment points in a pinch for using that snatch strap. Then I would get a front recovery point as the factory tie down hook is not rated for pulling.

All of the above. Recovery gear is critical, but most of it is useless if you're wheeling alone. Something many overlook is your spare tire. Is it the same size, and if you slip a bead do you have the tools and/or equipment to fix a flat? Plan for worst case, plan your route, and TELL someone where you are going for the love of God!

Tip: Never cross a wet playa.

Back