• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

'23 Taco with Android Auto

JCC

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Saw the other thread about Android Auto update, but was not sure if this was actually related. Not sure how well CarPlay works, but Android Auto is really hit or miss. Sometimes, it seems to work almost flawlessly. Other times, it seems to just disconnect/reconnect along with sometimes asking for the phone to be disconnected in order to get it working again. My phone is up to date and my truck seems to be up to date. I use Waze as my navigation app which works well when Android Auto is working. I am usually playing audio from SiriusXM usually shows I am playing that I have downloaded or maybe live where I can rewind toward the beginning though sometimes it is Spotify. It will play Rumble and Locals as well though sometimes you have to start SXM in order for audio to come through and you have to pause in order to keep them both from playing at the same time.

Anyone have any suggestions or similar experience?

I hated how the factory headunit worked with AA (and no wireless option really pissed me off). Replaced it with a Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX and haven't looked back. Love this HU. I don't use satellite radio, but I don't see how it would be a problem.

FWIW you'll want to go here and dl firmware for the OEM headunit. The built-in check in the truck always says it's 'up to date'. IIRC the latest firmware doesn't fix anything regarding AA/Carplay though. https://www.toyota.com/firmware-updates

Last edited:
thank you, really hoped it would be a better experience and know that Toyota would probably say the problem is my phone haha

I tested AA with multiple phones and it was always very slow, glitchy, and would skip frequently. CP might be more polished but it was a joke of a headunit to use AA on. I don't miss it at all.

Back