• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2023 Rear Passenger Side “drop”

BUILD IT!

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Just purchased new double cab 4wd SR model last week. I noticed when I picked it up that it looked like the passenger side rear was lower than the drivers side when looking at the top of the tailgate. I figured that it was just how it was backed in to the parking spot since it was a sloped surface.
Unfortunately, I shouldn’t have discounted my concern. The passenger side rear is approximately 3/4” lower than the drivers side. I put a level on the top of the tailgate while parked on a level surface ( checked surface too). You can also see it between the taillights and the bumper.
Contacted dealer and they said they have never heard of this before and have an appointment. There are numerous things that it could be and thought I would reach out on here to see if anyone else had encountered this.

Thanks

Also, I measured the height of the rear wheel wells and the passenger side was 1/2” lower than the drivers side.

@BUILD IT!, That is the famous 'Taco Lean'. You can fix it with adjustable shock towers if it really bothers you, or a spacer. I went with aftermarket ICON Stage 3 suspension.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can get the dealership to fix it since it is new. They are pretty great so not too worried about it. Got stuff starting to come in for mods so want to get it looked at before I start installing so that doesn’t potentially get the blame

@BUILD IT!, That is the famous 'Taco Lean'. You can fix it with adjustable shock towers if it really bothers you, or a spacer. I went with aftermarket ICON Stage 3 suspension.
I can't imagine it would be like that off the lot though. That's something you would see long term (like, after years) because of the added weight of the driver and gas tank on that side. @BUILD IT! you should for sure take it up with the dealer.

I agree, brand spanking new. After looking more at it this evening I am leaning more towards that it is a bed mount issue. Either the frame mounts are off, bed not to specs, or missing parts of the mounting process like a bushing. The passenger side is the lower side but I checked with both low and full fuel, no difference.

I will update after taking to the dealer

Update: Wasn’t the first time the dealer has come across this issue. They checked it out and confirmed that they need to install shims under the passenger side bed mounts. Based off of measurements they believe that it is around 3/8” shim to get things right. ordered the parts from Toyota so will get it fixed in a week or two.

On a good note, wheels arriving in two days:)

Update: Wasn’t the first time the dealer has come across this issue. They checked it out and confirmed that they need to install shims under the passenger side bed mounts. Based off of measurements they believe that it is around 3/8” shim to get things right. ordered the parts from Toyota so will get it fixed in a week or two.

On a good note, wheels arriving in two days:)
So they are covering it under warranty? I thought usually it was the driver side always dipped because of the weight on that side. But haven't seen the passenger side do it. I posted about the driver side a while ago.

Never figured it out. Bought a spacer for just the driver side and never did it because I didn't like the idea of it being uneven suspension wise.
When it's done, could you post the work order and parts numbers?
I want to try and take it in to get mine corrected if they do it for you.

Sorry, I thought I had responded. It is covered under warranty. I will get the part numbers from them but just remember that this was an obvious bed mounting issue, not the suspension.

It is my understanding that the "Taco lean" is the front driver's side being lower than the front passenger side. This is corrected by installing a spacer plate beteween the shock and shock tower.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/MotoFab-Lifts-Taco-lean-Spacer-Leveling/dp/B07FYPCVJM/ref=sr_1_20?crid=3HUVVI8JS7UDV&keywords=tacoma+spacer+plate&qid=1674828589&sprefix=tacom+spacer+plate%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-20

Just purchased new double cab 4wd SR model last week. I noticed when I picked it up that it looked like the passenger side rear was lower than the drivers side when looking at the top of the tailgate. I figured that it was just how it was backed in to the parking spot since it was a sloped surface.
Unfortunately, I shouldn’t have discounted my concern. The passenger side rear is approximately 3/4” lower than the drivers side. I put a level on the top of the tailgate while parked on a level surface ( checked surface too). You can also see it between the taillights and the bumper.
Contacted dealer and they said they have never heard of this before and have an appointment. There are numerous things that it could be and thought I would reach out on here to see if anyone else had encountered this.

Thanks

Thanks
I also just purchased a brand new 2023 Toyota Tacoma Trd, and have the same problem.
I too have an appointment in a couple of weeks. Let’s see what they say.

Get on flat pavement then I would measure the frame height. Just to rule that out.
The bed sits on the frame and MAY need to be shimmed.

Below the frame is suspension above the frame is bushings.

I also just purchased a brand new 2023 Toyota Tacoma Trd, and have the same problem.
I too have an appointment in a couple of weeks. Let’s see what they say.

I've been trying to figure this out a while now...
1691184819401.png

Nothing. I just settled on it.
Was going to add a 1/4-1/2" spacer just to one side to level it. But just didn't bother.
Went from factory to 5100/AAL, 6112/5170/AAL+OL and it stays.

I did a search and looked at all the other Tacomas and the unevenness is present in all of them.
I looked at all the ones at the dealership and every for sale listing that would come up.

If the bed moves and squeaks, then it's the bushings that are longer than they should be. But I don't think that will shift the bed that much.

Part of it could be the bed is warped. Bed stiffeners can help.

But I think that's just how it is. Just the weight distribution of the truck. Might level out with stiffer leaf springs in the rear.

Back