• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2021+ Stock Radio - Am I missing something?

Asmara

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2021 with a stock radio that includes Android Auto and Car Play. For long trips, I use the Android Auto and it works fine. Unfortunately, you have to plug it in to use it. Once carsifi starts making a wifi adapter, I'll probably install that and use AA all the time.

When I'm just running around town, it isn't worth taking the phone out of my pocket, plugging it in, trying not to forget it as I step in and out of the truck to run errands.

I figured I'd just install Entune and put a navigation app on there and maybe some other apps that I might find useful. I installed Entune on my phone and when it go to the registration where I added my VIN, it told me I had to use the Toyota App and would not let me proceed. I installed the Toyota App and it doesn't seem to do anything with regards to installing apps on my head unit. The head unit only has one app Toyota + Alexa. Installed that and it worked fine (well, Alexa took forever to respond so maybe not fine but it worked).

What am I missing? If I press the map button, it tells me to install the Toyota App. The App button mentions something about Entune Apps. How do I install useful apps on this headunit?

I've had similar difficulty. I just plug it in...or if it's a quick trip endure the sudden playing of a random track from my music library.

Seriously, it's a flawed system. I've turned off Bluetooth on my phone occasionally, but usually get back to leaving it on because of all the other Bluetooth things around.

I decided to subscribe to TIS for a couple of days because I needed some wire harness information as part of a seat heater install and I wanted to read more about the Radar (millimeter wave sensor) in front because I may create a custom grill.

While using the TIS, I tried to find information on my head unit. I found this beauty in a note about the head unit. It doesn't specifically say which models but given that I can't get anything to work, I think it applies to my Tacoma.

Entune App Suite content varies by model. Some models may have very few Apps or only support Alexa.

I have a 2021 with a stock radio that includes Android Auto and Car Play. For long trips, I use the Android Auto and it works fine. Unfortunately, you have to plug it in to use it. Once carsifi starts making a wifi adapter, I'll probably install that and use AA all the time.

When I'm just running around town, it isn't worth taking the phone out of my pocket, plugging it in, trying not to forget it as I step in and out of the truck to run errands.

I figured I'd just install Entune and put a navigation app on there and maybe some other apps that I might find useful. I installed Entune on my phone and when it go to the registration where I added my VIN, it told me I had to use the Toyota App and would not let me proceed. I installed the Toyota App and it doesn't seem to do anything with regards to installing apps on my head unit. The head unit only has one app Toyota + Alexa. Installed that and it worked fine (well, Alexa took forever to respond so maybe not fine but it worked).

What am I missing? If I press the map button, it tells me to install the Toyota App. The App button mentions something about Entune Apps. How do I install useful apps on this headunit?
So I have the same problem with mine scout GPS link for the Toyota and it pops up every time I’m in the car but doesn’t connect, it is very frustrating and I have taken it to Toyota many times and all they can tell me is that it’s not supported / offered for the 2021 Tacomas

If you find a wireless AA adapter that actually works lmk, I've tried a few and they all either don't work or have terrible performance.

Back