• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2021 Redesign?

EmpyreOffroad

4️⃣ Gold
Authorized Vendor
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
empyreoffroad.com
2016 Sport DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I know it's really early in the game, but is there anything out there yet suggesting that there will be a complete redesign in 2021?
My 16 is starting to give me some problems and I'm considering moving into a 2020, but would be willing to wait a year if there will be a full redesign.

Curious what problems are you experiencing with your 16?

I know it's really early in the game, but is there anything out there yet suggesting that there will be a complete redesign in 2021?
My 16 is starting to give me some problems and I'm considering moving into a 2020, but would be willing to wait a year if there will be a full redesign.
I would assume not in terms of the 4th gen Tacoma releasing, but perhaps a small cosmetic design to the front end or something like the 2nd gen had.

I dunno, the 2020 was a refresh of sorts. I can't see them doing something more aggressive the year after. Then again there are a LOT more competitors every day. Anyone looking at buying a triangle? ;)

I highly doubt it. I haven't seen any kind of 4th gen spy photos or anything, just rumors of what it could have. Also look at the lifespan of the second gen. Toyota milked that thing for a decade.

I highly doubt it. I haven't seen any kind of 4th gen spy photos or anything, just rumors of what it could have. Also look at the lifespan of the second gen. Toyota milked that thing for a decade.

Excellent points

I doubt the Tacoma is getting another redesign before the Tundra. The Tundra has been on gen. 2, since what? 07? The Tacoma seems to get one every 10 years (so much data with 3 gens lol), so I'd guess 2026, give or take a year.

I thought Tacoma and tundra were going to a shared platform. And I have seen reports of new tundra design. But if that’s 21, I’d guess the Tacoma wouldn’t adopt the change until the following year at best. Even that seems a little fast moving for Toyota.

I thought Tacoma and tundra were going to a shared platform. And I have seen reports of new tundra design. But if that’s 21, I’d guess the Tacoma wouldn’t adopt the change until the following year at best. Even that seems a little fast moving for Toyota.

The shared platform is the rumor. No idea when it'll happen though.

What is the shared platform rumor supposed to entail?

It's all speculation at this point. Probably something along the lines of their "Toyota New Global Architecture" that they use on the RAV4, Corolla, Camry and Avalon. Shared platform helps save money, reduces production time and sometimes parts are interchangeable between models. But nothing has been said about it since April

Supposedly the Tundra and Tacoma will share the same frame/undercarriage. No real substantial word on what truck will get what kind of motor, but there's rumors of hybrid motors and or turbos.

Supposedly the Tundra and Tacoma will share the same frame/undercarriage. No real substantial word on what truck will get what kind of motor, but there's rumors of hybrid motors and or turbos.
The Tundra should be heavier duty in my opinion. Otherwise it would just become a larger Tacoma with a different looking body.

Screw it, Hybrid Twin Turbo. Call it the Tacoma/Tundra TRD Supra Pro :LOL:

I had a 2017 tundra and same shifting issues, it’s a big truck so I went to the taco

I had a 2017 tundra and same shifting issues, it’s a big truck so I went to the taco
I didn’t know the Tundra was like that too. Hmm.

Comparing the two, which feels like it has more power/is generally faster on acceleration? Or is the Tundra a dog like the Taco?

If there is any truth to this I'd say nothing major till 2025. Maybe a 4cyl turbo for fuel efficiency.

I found the tundra to be a bit of a dog, and has the same shifting issues as taco

4th gen tacoma would be around 2026
It will most likely be a hybrid engine from there Lexus line
Toyota seems fully done with turbos and superchargers very unlikely will we see that in the future

Tacoma shares a platform with the 4runner as the tundra shares with a sequoia
I doubt they would cross them
Tundras are gas guzzling dogs and I'm very excited to see the new hybrid come out

Would hate to see a 4th gen Tacoma or major redesign in the next couple of years. But I'm biased since I just bought 19 lol

Honestly Toyota trucks & SUVs longer generations are kinda their thing, and I like that because they typically get it right. Unlike others (Chevrolet :sick:)

Would hate to see a 4th gen Tacoma or major redesign in the next couple of years. But I'm biased since I just bought 19 lol

Honestly Toyota trucks & SUVs longer generations are kinda their thing, and I like that because they typically get it right. Unlike others (Chevrolet :sick:)
I agree and it has nothing to do with this being a 3rd gen specific forum. ;)

Also, yes, the new Chevy designs are :sick:.

Back