• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2021 Off Road

ScottG59

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
This is my second taco and I looking to get a small travel trailer to do some traveling. Looking for a brake controller and scan gauge first not sure what to get. Why do brake controllers vary so much in price? Is more expensive better? Do they all do the same thing? Also curious about re-gearing. Is it necessary if towing within specs and what does it cost? Thanks for any advice.

This is my second taco and I looking to get a small travel trailer to do some traveling. Looking for a brake controller and scan gauge first not sure what to get. Why do brake controllers vary so much in price? Is more expensive better? Do they all do the same thing? Also curious about re-gearing. Is it necessary if towing within specs and what does it cost? Thanks for any advice.
Cannot speak to brake controllers.

Re-gear is expensive but a worthy investment particularly if you plan to keep your truck for a while.

It is one update you can do that can actually pay for itself over time in the fuel and wear and tear you save.

Based on what you are planning, I would imagine re-gearing would not be totally necessary if you are under the tow limit but it should make your travel experience much better and probably save you a few bucks in fuel particularly if you plan to tow on long trips.

I re geared my 21 last year at ECGS in North Carolina and it was just under $3k all in. Worth every penny.

1680148158992.png

I don't tow so I can't comment on the brake controller either, but I keep seeing Redarc kits installed on the other forum.

I don't tow so I can't comment on the brake controller either, but I keep seeing Redarc kits installed on the other forum.

Yes what @drizzoh said. If I was going to tow I would give this one a hard look.

I have the Redarc. There are several different models, mine is not the top end. It's nice because the controller mounts under the dash hidden, and the controls are on a standard panel switch. Very nice.

With respect to re gearing. You'll find that the word necessary is subjective. I'd recommend you start towing and if you're satisfied, then it's not necessary. With stock everything you should be fine. But others will say that the Tacoma needs 5.29s from the factory. Who's right? Well, me of course.

-M

Back