• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2021 Head Unit Slowness...

AZTacomaDreamin

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
In the bit of scrolling I did I didn't see this discussed so I thought I'd see if I was the only one.
I have a 2021 TRD Sport with the Apple Car Play head unit. And it is crazy slow. Switching between sources, or hitting the phone button especially right after start up takes around 3 or 4 seconds to respond. You'll hit the screen or even push the button on the side and it won't do anything, no beep to let you know it recognized you. And then after 3 or 4 seconds it'll make the beep and then switch to the screen you want.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'm coming from a 2016 TRD Sport, and that head unit was lightening quick, no lag at all. I brought it up to the dealership and of course they said it was normal.
Head Unit Info -
radio.jpeg

I have a 21 as well and I can confirm that on start up the screen is really slow and unresponsive but I always give my truck a few minutes to warm before doing anything. In the mornings I’ll usually walk away and get a things loaded up for work so I’ve learned to live with it I guess but I wouldn’t describe it as slow once I’m going and everything is warmed up. I can take a video of my screen as I’m scrolling through it and messing with it and post it on here so you can compare it to yours?

I have a 21 as well and I can confirm that on start up the screen is really slow and unresponsive but I always give my truck a few minutes to warm before doing anything. In the mornings I’ll usually walk away and get a things loaded up for work so I’ve learned to live with it I guess but I wouldn’t describe it as slow once I’m going and everything is warmed up. I can take a video of my screen as I’m scrolling through it and messing with it and post it on here so you can compare it to yours?
Yeah I guess once everything warms up it's not as slow. But since I have the other unit from my 2016 to compare it to, it's still very slow compared to that. I'd for sure be interested in see what it looks like for you. I was gonna post a video as well, but thought I'd just see if there was an update or a tweak or anything that anyone knew about first.

2020 pro, same unit. Yes, it is slow at first...and frequently freezes (once a month) when using an app (google maps most frequent), requires a restart of the app on my phone to get back working.

2020 pro, same unit. Yes, it is slow at first...and frequently freezes (once a month) when using an app (google maps most frequent), requires a restart of the app on my phone to get back working.
Man, mine froze for the first time last weekend while I was plugged in and using Apple Car Play and Google Maps. Had to do the same thing. Well I'm starting to feel better that I didn't get a dud unit and instead Toyota put out a dud unit haha.

Mine does same thing. Piece of crap entune.

Also can confirm the JBL audio system is every bit as bad. 10k miles on my truck and both door speakers are blown out.

I listen to fucking folk music half the time and it couldn’t even handle that.

This was after my 10 min drive home but it’s pretty much always as responsive as in this video except on start up in the mornings. I usually don’t even touch the dam thing until the truck is warmed up and I’ve pulled out of my house. So op you can compare it to how yours is working.

2021 trd sport. My first Tacoma. Love the truck. I have the same radio issues on start up. Also been experiencing issues with the usb for the carplay hookup. will stop working and give me a usb error on the radio for a couple days then be fine for a few weeks then act up again

This was after my 10 min drive home but it’s pretty much always as responsive as in this video except on start up in the mornings. I usually don’t even touch the dam thing until the truck is warmed up and I’ve pulled out of my house. So op you can compare it to how yours is working.
Yeah that's absolutely the same as mine. I guess all of us with this unit just have to wait 5 minutes until everything is warmed up before we touch anything! lol

I had a 2016 off road and the navigation seemed pretty responsive. Now I have a 21 sport and the navigation has slow response all the time. Navigation and radio input are irritating.

Factory units are just balls slow all the time. That's the one thing I couldn't stand. It's because they put limited hardware in them because it's not a full OS. Just plain UI.

Factory units are just balls slow all the time. That's the one thing I couldn't stand. It's because they put limited hardware in them because it's not a full OS. Just plain UI.
Just didn't seem so irritating on my 2016. Oh well

Back