• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2020 DCSB TRD OR M/T vs A/T

MikeD

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I’m currently shopping for a compact truck and the Tacoma is on my shortlist after Toyota finally decided to add CarPlay for the 2020MY. I recently test drove a 2020 DCSB TRD OR with a MT.

I’ve always driven a manual which is a big plus for the Tacoma. Right now I have a ten year old Mini Cooper S. As expected, there’s a world of difference between it and the Tacoma. The first thing I noticed was how the friction point in the clutch was near impossible to feel compared to the Cooper. I got the hang of it quickly but it was quite a surprise at first. The next thing I noticed was the amount of effort required to get the truck moving from a stop up to 30mph, though I didn't have any trouble getting up to speed when I merged on to a freeway. There’s a 2000 pound weight difference so this isn’t unreasonable I realize!

I’m cross-shopping the 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew. I’ve driven both the non-FX4 and the FX4. Overall I’d say that the Ranger’s 2.3L turbo was noticeably more responsive at low speeds with more torque. The FX4 suspension felt a bit sloppy compared to the TRD Offroad. Overall the Tacoma felt more “trucky” and planted while the Ranger felt more car like with more tech.

I was hoping to get some info from owners on a few questions:

1) Does the automatic transmission’s low speed responsiveness vary much from the manual?
2) With the MT you lose Multi Terrain Select and CRAWL control, how much am I missing by giving those up?
3) Is there anything else I should know from MT owners?
4) Anyone else recently cross shop the Ranger and have thought?

Thanks in advance!

The one thing I’ll say ranger has Toyota beat is interior, I had a full bolt on focus st prior and it was essentially the same interior I loved but I think the ranger exterior isn’t that appealing. I do wish I got a manual because I just love driving a manual but I guess with the trails I’ve driven having an automatic was nice in difficult parts. I normally go to like 3kish rpm’s maybe more off lights and hold it there for a bit and it’ll change gears but my truck is also incredibly heavy now so I don’t recall what it was like stock. I test drove a manual and honestly can’t remember much besides downshifting feeling weird for a bit. I think manual may have some kind of atrac not sure but you would lose crawl control which I only use when I get stuck and rear locker isn’t enough, on some occasions but not most it kind of acts like a fake front locker and will give me traction to a front wheel that I needed really bad. For day to day driving I wish and miss the manual, mild trails I’d love to be driving a manual, but more difficult trails the auto was nice to have.

Back