• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2017 TRD Off Road from Virginia

TrainerTed61

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandexperts.com
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
Sold my 80 Series and bought a Tacoma. Have bit of previous experience with these trucks because my company owns two of them. Both 2nd Gen TRD Off Roads, one is an auto and one is a six-speed manual.

So, mine is a six speed and I have had a lot done, but it's not finished. Iron Pig Off Road in Fredricksburg, VA is my go-to for all the work so far. I am very pleased with them.

Suspension is OME BP-51, Stock load leaf springs Total Chaos UCAs.
Stock rims with 285/75 16 BFG KO2s including matching fifth wheel/tire.
Hypertech Speedometer Correction Module
RPM Fab front winch bumper (This was the ONLY bumper I could find with proper winch accessibility.)
Superwinch Talon 9.5 with Marlowe winch line and Factor55 Flatlink E (from my old truck).
Relentless Fabrication High Clearance rear bumper.
BudBuilt Skid 5 Piece Skid Combo 3/16" steel.
BudBuilt Sliders, Regular with Bump Out.
RCV Ultimate CV Axles.
DiamondBack Tonneau cover.

The heart of my build is/was supposed to be a Marlin TacoBox, but that is vaporware so far. These trucks are just geared too high for crawling. The versatility of stock low range and the TacoBox make me salivate. I hope it actually happens. I contacted them in November of 2016 right after I bought my truck. Still waiting.

Attachments

• TacomaFlagpole1.jpg
    TacomaFlagpole1.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 110
  • TacomaFlagpole3.jpg
    TacomaFlagpole3.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 120
  • TacomaFlagpole4.jpg
    TacomaFlagpole4.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Welcome to T3G and thank you for the donation.

Are you following the build of the “slowest Tacoma” by chance?

Nice looking rig! I like that you kept the stock wheels on it. Not sure your front lift height, assuming it's in the 2.5" range. Do you get much tire rub?

Nice looking rig! I like that you kept the stock wheels on it. Not sure your front lift height, assuming it's in the 2.5" range. Do you get much tire rub?
Thanks! I have tried not to spend money on purely cosmetic things. I think these trucks are pretty good looking right out of the box and, to my mind, form follows function. I am pleased with the way it has turned out.
Regarding lift height: I never measured it stock, so I'm not sure what the gain actually is. Yes, I get some tire rub on the back of the front fender wells at full compression. I'm still deciding what to do about it. The problem is not too serious so far, but there certainly is no room for tire chains, which is limiting for serious winter-wheeling.

Welcome to T3G and thank you for the donation.

Are you following the build of the “slowest Tacoma” by chance?
I have been checking in periodically, but I find it kind of frustrating. I REALLY want my TacoBox. Athough Marlin has released the 3rd Gen version for automatics, they do not seem to be in any hurry to get the manual transmission version sorted out. I love this truck, but it's really still a mall-crawler without the Marlin Crawler.

I have been checking in periodically, but I find it kind of frustrating. I REALLY want my TacoBox. Athough Marlin has released the 3rd Gen version for automatics, they do not seem to be in any hurry to get the manual transmission version sorted out. I love this truck, but it's really still a mall-crawler without the Marlin Crawler.

You hear any updates on the Tacobox? I heard about an oil issue and when I talked to them, they said it would be a little before it is sorted out. I have an AT so I’m patiently waiting for them to ship mine and ups to deliver.

Looking for anyone who actually has it installed (besides Marlin Crawler, Big Mike lol)

You hear any updates on the Tacobox? I heard about an oil issue and when I talked to them, they said it would be a little before it is sorted out. I have an AT so I’m patiently waiting for them to ship mine and ups to deliver.

Looking for anyone who actually has it installed (besides Marlin Crawler, Big Mike lol)
I have heard nothing from them. I do contact them periodically via email, but the only person who responds is their sales guy, Trevor.

Awesome build man. I just ordered a set of Budbuilt skids stage 2 rock armor. How do you like yours?

Back