• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! 2016 automatic Tacoma - Back-up lights not working / back-up light switch location?

norsetorious

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Went in for a safety check and failed due to back-up lights not engaging. Told it wasnʻt the bulb(s), but GY is wanting $150 just for the inspection, not including fixing the problem. Reverse camera and break lights work, so someone said it might be the back-up light switch, if not the fuse. Tried looking for youtube videos to follow (I have no mechanic skills/knowledge whatsoever), but canʻt seem to find the location of the switch to try and replace.

Apologies if this is a newb question. If anyone could help a new troubleshoot this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. And if it is the switch, are the switches located in the same location on automatics as the manuals? Tried following a video but I have no idea what the hell Iʻm looking at and it might not even apply to my vehicle.

Thanks everyone.

Did you buy it new? Did you add anything? Do you know if they worked for sure before?

There's a quick start manual the truck came with. Like a leaflet that lists the fuse locations.
Should be BKUP Light or something under the hood or the 3-5th one from the top under the dash. Better to check them all.
Another thing could be polarity of the bulbs. Pull the bulb out and flip them. Also the contacts. Sometimes you might have to bend them the other way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you buy it new? Did you add anything? Do you know if they worked for sure before?

There's a quick start manual the truck came with. Like a leaflet that lists the fuse locations.
Should be BKUP Light or something under the hood or the 3-5th one from the top under the dash. Better to check them all.
Another thing could be polarity of the bulbs. Pull the bulb out and flip them. Also the contacts. Sometimes you might have to bend them the other way.
This switch?
s-l500.jpg
I bought the truck new in 2015, straight from a yota dealership. No issues with backup lights prior and passed ever annual safety check, which inspects backup lights. Rear bulbs have never been changed since the truck was purchased. Initially thought it might be a bulb, but both lights are out.

Dash fuse for backup lights looks ok and doesn't appear to be blown. Hood fuse it's a larger, opaque object and I'm not sure how to inspect if it's off.

That switch looks similar to what I have seen in videos, but all the examples seem to correlate to M/T. I tried inspecting the location of the switch in the available videos to try and find this switch, but everything looks very different.

Upvote 0
I bought the truck new in 2015, straight from a yota dealership. No issues with backup lights prior and passed ever annual safety check, which inspects backup lights. Rear bulbs have never been changed since the truck was purchased. Initially thought it might be a bulb, but both lights are out.

Dash fuse for backup lights looks ok and doesn't appear to be blown. Hood fuse it's a larger, opaque object and I'm not sure how to inspect if it's off.

That switch looks similar to what I have seen in videos, but all the examples seem to correlate to M/T. I tried inspecting the location of the switch in the available videos to try and find this switch, but everything looks very different.

You're right. The one with the pressure switch is for M/T.
A/T has a module type switch.

I'd say clean up the outside, unplug the cable at both ends, inspect, carefully clean with a brush or Q-tips/alcohol and seat firmly. Hope it works out for you.

You say no mechanical skill, do you have a voltmeter? A lot of stuff is pretty simple and just knowing where to go. This one is a simple check and doesn't require much mechanical knowledge. To see if it's the switch, you can unplug the rear bulb. Then test the contacts from the harness plug and see if it reads. This will require you to have another person put it in reverse. Unless you're super quick with it. ;)

Part: 84545-71010

61Z-efRghOL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

1680379703225.png

1680379625661.png

1680379002624.png

1680379395002.png

1680379512710.png

1680379522267.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back