• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2016 4x4 crank, no run

BigByrd

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Title says it all. Started it, stalled (manual trans) then restart. It starts but immediately shuts down. Water in the passenger floor. I pulled the lower panel from the right side of the floor and yes there is water behind the panel. Yes it has a moonroof however the drain is open. This started after I went and picked up groceries in a violent rain going thru deep puddles on the road. And here we are.

Welcome to the forum. Any lights on the dash? Do you have a code reader?

How deep was that puddle? Sounds like you got water in the engine.

I agree, water in the engine or electronics.

Ok folks. I did hours of research yesterday regarding the no start issue I had. It seems there is a huge issue with water, and no start problems with owners of third Gen Tacoma’s. Toyota will, has not acknowledged the issue. I personally thought these trucks were actually “Off Road Tested”! I now consider that remark a complete misdirection. Desert tested maybe but all the info I actually found points to, DO NOT GO IN WATER WHEN OFF ROADING IN THE THIRD GEN TRUCKS!!! At minimum if you do, don’t turn them off nor let them stall as you could wind up in the middle of nowhere until it dries out… Also there is not a one thing as of yet that is the exact cause of this issue yet here we are! I love this truck so don’t get me wrong, it just has turned into a weak link where moisture is concerned. 🤷‍♂️
Mine is a 6spd manual, moonroof, roof rack, tow pkg, running rails, etc… yea it’s loaded! At 60 years old it’s my first new vehicle ever! Broke my heart with this issue… Thanks to all of you for a response.
Note: I actually have family that works for a dealer near me. Great dealership but there is only so much they can do…
SALUTE

That must be with the MT only, Ive been sitting in the driver seat with water up to my knees, no issues at all

Sorry man, rough stuff. Yeah, I've been in 2ft deep water multiple times with no trouble. But I'm also moving, crossing using proper techniques (gentle wave in front, slow dip into the water, wading out first to confirm depth).

Sorry man, rough stuff. Yeah, I've been in 2ft deep water multiple times with no trouble. But I'm also moving, crossing using proper techniques (gentle wave in front, slow dip into the water, wading out first to confirm depth).
Yea, no overspray in that. Good to hear you know how!!! Salute

That must be with the MT only, Ive been sitting in the driver seat with water up to my knees, no issues at all
I actually had to special order the MT. There were none available anywhere except a used red one in N Carolina at the time I looked. Sales guy said there was no market for MTs. I told him to look outside the city, in the country! Got a call a year and a half later from him. He said he had sold 5 that year…. Country Boys only traffic is the animals crossin the path….🤣

Back