• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2 Tacoma’s... Help with my build...

Bowtiepower00

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Been lurking here and TW for several months. Sold my 16 Ram 2500 with Thuren suspension and 325/65R18’s to downsize a bit. Sold the toyhauler and boat, and no longer needed a diesel. Wanted something smaller to hit trails with- and didn’t want a Jeep. Longtime Toy owner here- multiple first gen runners and Hiluxes owned for my past rides. And wheeled the piss outta all of em.

Went into the dealer (Autonation Tempe- BIG shoutout to Brian for all of his help) to order a 6MT truck. They didn’t have any. OK, how about an auto CCLB? Nope. Ended up throwing them a crazy low number on a CCSB OR auto truck on a whim and they took it. So I brought it home. The day I purchased, I told Brian, and my old lady, that I would give it a try for a couple of months, and come back to order the truck I really wanted, with manual trans, if I didn’t like it.

Fast forward to mid-May. I’ve tried to like this auto trans. I was on backway to Crown King and wheeling up in the woods by flagstaff with under 1000 miles on the odometer. Learned a lot about my new rig, and it’s capability. Mostly that it needs more clearance, better suspension, and armor. And that I hate the auto trans.

Went back in, and decided to find/ order a MT. Dealer has been trying to trade now for about 2 weeks, without success. Found out today they are going to order one. I’m good with that, it’s summer in the desert and I’m not going to be wheeling anyway. Finalized my order yesterday, not sure on delivery- hoping for June allocation.

6MT, CCSB, OR in Cement. Tech package, LED lights, Tonno cover, floor liners/ sill guards, bed mat, bed divider, and tailgate lock are the options.

Plan on modding quite a bit out the gate. Having a hard time adjusting to a midsize after being fullsize for so long. But ready to start hitting some trails- and a full-size is going to be too big- IMO.

Plan is to build a solid rig to tackle trails throughout AZ and the southwest. Going to try to keep weight down but it’s hard. Need some solid armor to protect the truck on these southwest rocks. Not planning on doing any extreme trails, but want to do some serious wheeling.

Build plan to follow. Thanks for reading. I’m still trying to decide if the Tacoma will meet my requirements before I start ordering parts, or if I should go back to a full-size. Build plan to follow...

Attachments

• 3D9B34F4-1280-437C-850F-58A237DCD0A1.jpeg
    3D9B34F4-1280-437C-850F-58A237DCD0A1.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 57
  • AC2C4F5E-FA68-4A5D-ABB1-463F79FE8670.jpeg
    AC2C4F5E-FA68-4A5D-ABB1-463F79FE8670.jpeg
    835.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 89CB0C16-8040-4423-9611-1F8D0803895D.jpeg
    89CB0C16-8040-4423-9611-1F8D0803895D.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 57
So... my build plan. Always wanted to build my Ram. Never went as far as I wanted. And regretted it. But it was also too big/ heavy to wheel the way I wanted to. So this time around I’m going all in from the start.

Early build plan:

ARB Summit front bumper. I want protection. And would prefer an aluminum solution, but don’t want to spend 2k+, don’t want to wait 2+ months, and want the maximum animal/ snowbird driver protection.

Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC 9500 winch with steel cable.
$327. Nuff said. $200+ to upgrade to synthetic. I used to rig and operate cranes. I’m good with steel cable. Can always upgrade later for roughly $100.

Accutune Fox 2.5 DSC front shocks with upgraded coils

Accutune Fox 2.0 LSA rear piggyback shocks

Icon rear AAL

F/R DuroBumps with rear ubolt flip

I feel this is overkill, but I want to do it once and do it right. I could half ass it but I’ll regret it. And I want the custom tuned shocks.

Down the road, when im ready for stage 2, I’ll go rear 2.5’s with a flip or HH and deaver expo

Second choice is non adjustable 2.5 kings, but I think I’ll regret not having the adjusters.

RCI skids- including a-arms and fuel tank. I WILL do the exhaust reroute, I’ve already damn near ripped off my factory crossover.
My question here is aluminum vs. steel. I was leaning aluminum until I actually wheeled. These skids are going to be used. As much as I’d like to keep weight down, I’m leaning steel.
I don’t plan on going super hard, but I don’t want to destroy aluminum skids.

Finally, for wheels and tires. I’m leaning 285/75R16 Toyo AT3 or Yoko MT, on stock wheels with 1” bora spacers. I know, spacers suck. Second choice is 17x8.5 Method 316 with 285/70R17 AT3 (load range C). But I’m doing a set of 5. And there’s another 1200 bucks, lol.

Stage 2 would be 5.29s, a traction device up front, and rear 2.5 shocks with Archive shock towers and hangers.

I already have a 48” Hilift and Smittybilt 12v A/C, along with recovery gear and tools, that will fit in the bed, With a shovel and axe.

Suggestions? Long post I know. Been planning this build for quite awhile. Any suggestions are welcome.

And anyone in AZ/ PHX who wants to wheel starting this fall, hit me up....

Nice build plan.
Winch and bumper first, always good to have insurance
Suspension idea looks nice
and I second the heavier spring suggestion, especially with what you want to build.

Welcome! Good list there. I second what biohazard said. First thing I did was slap the arb summit on for protection then went to town

Back