• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

18 Tacoma rear gears

Goattaco

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Last year in July I had 4 Wheel Parts regeared my truck front and rear 4.88 so upon them doing this they ran into a problem they told me the gears they ordered were wrong said the rear ended in my truck wasn’t what it was supposed to be 8.75 well so with that then began calling diff companies trying to find out what I could possibly have . Me included also going to the dealer with no results . Come to find out I have a fj 8. Something can’t remember at this point well they ordered gears for an FJ yes FJ well after my truck being down for two weeks I was pleased to get it back at this point we fast forward 10 months my rear end exploded . Took it back last week to 4wp they told me it would be 3 weeks before they could get parts and that I needed to pick up my truck ??? come to find out they never took my rear end apart to see what happened so what parts did they order ? Your guess is good as mine and they are not paying for my rental car and also making me pay a deductible on my warranty. So my question to all of you is any of you guys run into FJ rear ends in an 18 taco ? . Please no bad feed back I’m already in a very pissed off mood just looking for some awnsers

First off, bummer. Sounds pretty crappy.

Second what trim/package options is your truck?

I know the Tacoma Sports have the 8" rear diff and the Tacoma Off-Roads have the 8.75" rear diff. I've never heard of a 3rd gen Tacoma coming off the assembly line with a diff from a completely different vehicle, like the FJ's 8.2 diff. That just doesn't make any sense, and to me might be an issue to bring up to Toyota.

Since you've already regeared whatever differential you do have, that Toyota ship may have sailed.

Are you positive that you have an 8.2" diff? I'm not trying to doubt you, it's just definitely a strange thing.

Back