• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

160lbs extra on front suspension...how bad

2023TxTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I asked before about installing a bumper and winch on the front and how it will affect wear and handling. Most of the answers were "repair when if breaks". And handing won't be any different, it's going to suck the same...it's a truck.
Will 160lbs of winch and bumper cause ball joints to fail early, tie rods to fail early steering box to have excessive wear early in life?
If a Tacoma normally goes 150k on ball joints under stock weight, will 160 extra pounds cause replacements every 50k?
TIE rods, steering box...same thing?
Dustin

We can assume it would cause more wear since it wasn't designed to carry that normally. But when built, they are overbuilt and underrated for safety.
If you replace the suspension with junk cheap parts, they'll fail faster. But I don't think you have to worry much. Think of a 160lbs driver and a 320lbs driver...

Does a fat man cause early failure and excessive wear on a vehicle? I think it's negligible. It would be more of how it's driven. That's not that much weight.
Wouldn't it mainly be the suspension supporting the proper weight? Which would prevent the angle from changing too drastically? If the angles aren't changed a drastic amount, it should just wear normally. I'm rambling, but I think that should make sense.

Back