• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Electrical 12v always on mod?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Has anyone done a 12v always on mod to their truck? Sucks that it doesn't come with one always on port from the factory like a lot of cars do.

I know it would involve some rewiring or creative DIY dickory, but I kind of need it because I work in the cab of my truck on my laptop most days. Inside my camper is not an issue, but I actually like sitting in the cab as a workspace.

If you've done it, or know of a respectable guide, let me know.

I've thought about doing that. MY plan is to get one of those electronics battery packs and have that plugged in in the center console, then plug everything into that. So it gets charged, then charges everything. I suppose that's redundant if I get a dual battery system, but it has the advantage of being removeable.

I've thought about doing that. MY plan is to get one of those electronics battery packs and have that plugged in in the center console, then plug everything into that. So it gets charged, then charges everything. I suppose that's redundant if I get a dual battery system, but it has the advantage of being removeable.
I could see that being the more flexible plug-and-play alternative.

I use this:
image.jpg

It would be ideal if I didn’t have to run the truck for it. Your idea is smart. Let’s check Amazon, lol...

Has anyone done a 12v always on mod to their truck? Sucks that it doesn't come with one always on port from the factory like a lot of cars do.

I know it would involve some rewiring or creative DIY dickory, but I kind of need it because I work in the cab of my truck on my laptop most days. Inside my camper is not an issue, but I actually like sitting in the cab as a workspace.

If you've done it, or know of a respectable guide, let me know.
It would be pretty easy. Just cut the positive lead to the outlet and tape it off. Then use an add a circuit to an always hot fuse in the fuse box to connect back to the outlet.

It would be pretty easy. Just cut the positive lead to the outlet and tape it off. Then use an add a circuit to an always hot fuse in the fuse box to connect back to the outlet.
That does sound easy enough.

Its pretty easy.
Get some marine grade wiring. Get a blue seas 12v plug. Make sure you get 10 gauge wiring. Then run it from the battery to the bed. Drill a hole for the 12v plug. Got yourself a always hot plug in the bed!

add a fuse too.

Its pretty easy.
Get some marine grade wiring. Get a blue seas 12v plug. Make sure you get 10 gauge wiring. Then run it from the battery to the bed. Drill a hole for the 12v plug. Got yourself a always hot plug in the bed!

add a fuse too.

Whoop there he is!

Back