• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Travel Trailer comments

Zeke305

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I own a 2021 Tacoma TRD off road - all technical detail says I can tow 6,800. I am looking to purchase a travel Trailer dry weight is 4,900 lb.
Will be purchasing sway bar hitch.

Does anyone have experience trailering with something similar:
Is it to heavy for the truck?
Would it be stable on the road?
Any power issues in backing up the trailer?
Any recommendation

When the trailer outweighs the truck...it WILL get stupid real quick and kill you, your wife, kids and others around you. Sway bars or not...stupid. dually trucks and semis can haul more trailer than their own curb weight because they are designed to. The Tacoma, half tons, and three quart tons were NOT designed to pull big sails aka travel trailers that weight more than they do. PERIOD.! ANYONE THAT DISAGREES WITH ME IS A DAMN IDIOT THAT NEEDS THEIR HEAD EXAMINED.
YOU ARE looking at 6,000lbs camping weight on a light duty 5,000lb truck...if you are suicidal, go for it.

Upvote 0
When the trailer outweighs the truck...it WILL get stupid real quick and kill you, your wife, kids and others around you. Sway bars or not...stupid. dually trucks and semis can haul more trailer than their own curb weight because they are designed to. The Tacoma, half tons, and three quart tons were NOT designed to pull big sails aka travel trailers that weight more than they do. PERIOD.! ANYONE THAT DISAGREES WITH ME IS A DAMN IDIOT THAT NEEDS THEIR HEAD EXAMINED.
YOU ARE looking at 6,000lbs camping weight on a light duty 5,000lb truck...if you are suicidal, go for it.
Thank you for affirming some of the concerns I had and your straight forward response.
I actually ending up trading in my Tacoma and purchased a Tundra with the I Force Hybrid engine - 432 hp with 593lb-ft torque , rated at 12,000lb towing capacity, weighs 7,000 lb. I was sad that I had to let my Tacoma go but this Tundra is a beast.
Thanks again for your input.

Upvote 0
Stick to 17' and no more than 4200lbs loaded or less. It will pull with MUCH less drama.
Thank you for your input it is appreciated.
I actually ending up trading in my Tacoma and purchased a Tundra with the I Force Hybrid engine - 432 hp with 593lb-ft torque , rated at 12,000lb towing capacity, weighs 7,000 lb. I was sad that I had to let my Tacoma go but this Tundra is a beast.
Thanks again for your input.

Upvote 0
Good move. Stick to 6000lbs loaded and 25' with sway bars. It will tow well. The sail part is what will roll the combo on it's side...if it's to long for the tow vehicle. 25' 6k loaded with sway control would be perfect.

Upvote 0
It may tow 12k pounds of trailer and wood or pipe on a flatbed. It WOULD NOT be fun towing a 12k travel trailer. Cut that number in half and be within a foot or two of overall truck length. Trust me here, I've been pulling for 25 years of various combos...some matched...some dangerous.

Upvote 0
You need wheelbase, weight and chassis ridgity to tow well. If the frame flexes like a wet noodle, 750hp and 1,000ftlbs won't tow well. If it's short wheelbase, it won't tow well. If the tow vehicle is lighter than the trailer towing, it won't tow well....except duallies and semis.
Power is WAAAY down on the list for towing. Handling and braking should be at the top. You can have tons of power, if you can't handle or stop the load, you don't need to be towing it.

Upvote 0
One of my tow rigs. I use my Tacoma for 5x8 uhaul trailers. I have a F350 dually as well as a 379 Pete.

Attachments

• 20240216_124003.jpg
    20240216_124003.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
It may tow 12k pounds of trailer and wood or pipe on a flatbed. It WOULD NOT be fun towing a 12k travel trailer. Cut that number in half and be within a foot or two of overall truck length. Trust me here, I've been pulling for 25 years of various combos...some matched...some dangerous.
Thank you for your input.
Trailer gross vehicle weight will be 6K. Combined gross weight truck and trailer will be at about 12K.
Came with a class V tow package. The trailer is 28' truck 19'. Thinking its marginal off of your suggestions.
Would welcome any further comments.

Upvote 0
With properly setup sway control, it should be fine. Don't be afraid to put coolers, bikes etc in the bed of the truck. You may be right at your rear axle weights on your truck. That's fine...just don't go over them. Weigh the whole rig at a truck scale ready to camp. You are fine to be right at your axle weights on your truck. Just make sure differential fluids are full and changed every 30-50k miles. If you run it low....you WILL burn it up.
Run 60-65mph in the right lane...leave plenty of room to stop. Enjoy it.

Upvote 0
Back