• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tips & Tricks for the 3rd Generation Tacoma

Tomahawk Dog

6️⃣ Aficionado
Reaction score
2022 Sport DCSB Manual
Super White
I came across this information as a mechanic told me "There is a way" to change a bad actuator to a good one without splitting the transfer case.
This is mechanical voodoo, and the young techs don't know how to or will not talk about it as its "forbidden" practice.
So here we go, in case you're stuck in the middle of nowhere in 4LO or worse.

The newer Tacoma's have a lock ring on the inner shaft which prevents it from moving backward. So, you must split the transfer case and remove the clip ring to get the shaft out.

However, if the electronics or gears are bad and cause you to be in 4LO or the thing just won't work,....
(Electrical contact problems are very common and mostly cause by water getting in the vent lines and working water down to the motor contacts). FYI - vent lines are lower than you may think.

Here is how you can get home without a flatbed tow truck OR even better change out the bad part(s) and get going again at a minimal cost.

This is NOT as per Toyota instructions,.... but there is always reverse thinking.
NOTE: Moving the shift forward will get you in 2WD (and get you home) - In order to clear the dash lights timing of the internal gears is important,....

Its always best to have a Pro do things BUT information can be very helpful at times,......

Source: https://youtu.be/GCY2BCdlU4I

Last edited:
Back