• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Sheep Mountain Table Trail in the Badlands National Park

UnpavedPreferred

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
This video is not yet on my published list. Just unlisted for now. Working on some sort of vacation video continuity.

That being said, I wanted to share it and get any feedback on the video. I could still make some changes to perhaps generate some interest in my videos/channel overall.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IUCcXT1u5A

Based on my limited meandering experience with posting/editing videos here is what I would do with this video:

NOTE: I am going to be as forthright and blunt as possible because I know with my videos it is really difficult to get constructive criticism and it's something I know I really want to make my videos better. People just tell me "I liked it" and that's nice to hear but not very helpful if I want to make better videos. This is my gift to you ;)

1. The audio is a bit all over the place. Normalize if you can but for sure turn down the music. I usually run the music on my videos at 33% and I like to fade them in.
2. Write up a script for your voice overs. It just makes things flow better and makes sure you don't have any empty space or sidetracks
3. Dashcam video is good but if you have someone running a camera who isn't the driver (I'm never lucky enough for that) make sure they get different shots that aren't pointing forward. There were some out the window side and back shots but a lot of it was pointing forward.
4. Speaking of dashcam shots. I try to never go over 10 seconds for those before switching unless something is happening (like that bird flying by) unless you are doing a raw video, then just do nothing but the dashcam. This is a hard thing to do, I know. I could watch my dash videos all day. It's fun to relive trips that way but if you weren't there these can kind of drag and that's the last thing you want if you want people not to click away.
5. I really liked the shot from 6:20. Again, if you have someone who is willing to film while you drive that is solid gold. Kick them out of the cab as often as is reasonable.
6. Never show multiple angles of the same event unless it is REALLY interesting. Like parts ripping off interesting. The one possible exception to that is when you are doing picture-in-picture or split screen stuff and I've found the work to get it to sync right is rarely worth the end result.
7. Consider using transitions like fading to black between sections. This helps break up the video so that instead of watching one long video the viewer is watching a bunch of short ones.
8. Buy a drone. You cannot go wrong with drone shots. They are always fantastic and really make your videos look a lot more professional. Can't fly the thing in national parks though...so this comment is pretty useless. Sorry.
9. Were I making this video I would have cut out about 50% or more of the dash cam/forward facing video. It's too much.
10. The map at the start when you are doing your V/O is good but it's too zoomed in for me to be able to tell where the heck you are and it's up for too short of a time for it to really register.
11. If you took some good pictures while you were up there consider adding them in to break up the video a bit. I find 3-4 seconds is a good amount of time for a picture to be onscreen
12. Title is a bit long. And in my mind I would hesitate to use "off-road" and "national park" in the same sentance as people could assume you were tearing it up on fields. How about: Backcountry exploring Sheep Mountain Table in Badlands National Park
13. Ghost ride ya whip...Haha, no, no don't ever do that.

I hope that was helpful.

Last edited:
Based on my limited meandering experience with posting/editing videos here is what I would do with this video:

NOTE: I am going to be as forthright and blunt as possible because I know with my videos it is really difficult to get constructive criticism and it's something I know I really want to make my videos better. People just tell me "I liked it" and that's nice to hear but not very helpful if I want to make better videos. This is my gift to you ;)

1. The audio is a bit all over the place. Normalize if you can but for sure turn down the music. I usually run the music on my videos at 33% and I like to fade them in.
2. Write up a script for your voice overs. It just makes things flow better and makes sure you don't have any empty space or sidetracks
3. Dashcam video is good but if you have someone running a camera who isn't the driver (I'm never lucky enough for that) make sure they get different shots that aren't pointing forward. There were some out the window side and back shots but a lot of it was pointing forward.
4. Speaking of dashcam shots. I try to never go over 10 seconds for those before switching unless something is happening (like that bird flying by) unless you are doing a raw video, then just do nothing but the dashcam. This is a hard thing to do, I know. I could watch my dash videos all day. It's fun to relive trips that way but if you weren't there these can kind of drag and that's the last thing you want if you want people not to click away.
5. I really liked the shot from 6:20. Again, if you have someone who is willing to film while you drive that is solid gold. Kick them out of the cab as often as is reasonable.
6. Never show multiple angles of the same event unless it is REALLY interesting. Like parts ripping off interesting. The one possible exception to that is when you are doing picture-in-picture or split screen stuff and I've found the work to get it to sync right is rarely worth the end result.
7. Consider using transitions like fading to black between sections. This helps break up the video so that instead of watching one long video the viewer is watching a bunch of short ones.
8. Buy a drone. You cannot go wrong with drone shots. They are always fantastic and really make your videos look a lot more professional. Can't fly thing in national parks thoug...so this comment is pretty useless. Sorry.
9. Were I making this video I would have cut out about 50% or more of the dash cam/forward facing video. It's too much.
10. The map at the start when you are doing your V/O is good but it's too zoomed in for me to be able to tell where the heck you are and it's up for too short of a time for it to really register.
11. If you took some good pictures while you were up there consider adding them in to break up the video a bit. I find 3-4 seconds is a good amount of time for a picture to be onscreen
12. Title is a bit long. And in my mind I would hesitate to use "off-road" and "national park" in the same sentance as people could assume you were tearing it up on fields. How about: Backcountry exploring Sheep Mountain Table in Badlands National Park
13. Ghost ride ya whip...Haha, no, no don't ever do that.

I hope that was helpful.
Thank you for the feedback.

I'd love to get a drone but boy oh boy those seem to be pretty pricey. Perhaps if I ever monetize, that might be something I'd get but I still want to get full skids, bumper with winch, diamondback tonneau cover and a lift. Plus bigger tires with that lifted goodness.

I'd love to get a drone but boy oh boy those seem to be pretty pricey. Perhaps if I ever monetize, that might be something I'd get but I still want to get full skids, bumper with winch, diamondback tonneau cover and a lift. Plus bigger tires with that lifted goodness.
I paid just under $800 for mine and I find it's useful off-road gear independent of it's filming capabilities. It's great for scouting.

My only suggestion.... be mindful of gps locations and telling people how to get there. I know it sounds trivial and selfish. But the more exposure a trail gets the more traffic they get. A prime example is the Shafer Trail in Utah. Ever since Hoglund tagged that spot on IG people and flocking there. He has 25k followers and everyone wants to be Insta famous and starts over running the crap
out of nice areas. Discovery is what makes exploring awesome. Giving people locations takes that away and makes those areas more crowded. Before you know it the area you treasured turns into Imogene Pass. All rutted up and bumper to bumper.

You may want to have some music playing from the start but leveled way low so it's just in the background and your voice over it. Then go with the tips above regarding your levels and voice, flow etc. Otherwise, I love trail videos so thanks!

oh and if any of the camera audio is useful, adding that in to give it another layer of dimension and realism could be cool.

Most of the audio from the osmo action camera on the windshield is my wife and I talking shit, me trying to reassure her that I see the ruts, I am paying attention and about how no one watches my videos anyhow. I got her out of the truck once to film and after being married for 20 years, I knew when I had already won.

Oh and casually making light of how she forgot one of her bags in the kitchen at home with all her chargers in it so we need to go to Target once we get to Rapid City.

My only suggestion.... be mindful of gps locations and telling people how to get there.
I do see your view. You can use google maps to get there so it's not like it isn't commonly listed. For other trails that should be used less because of resources, environmental impact etc, I'm absolutely on an oar in that boat.

I appreciate the feedback. I've reworked the video and will publish the shorter, hopefully less audio varying level in a week or so. I'll leave the current one unlisted but still up on YouTube, perhaps as a Tacoma3G exclusive.

My only suggestion.... be mindful of gps locations and telling people how to get there. I know it sounds trivial and selfish. But the more exposure a trail gets the more traffic they get. A prime example is the Shafer Trail in Utah. Ever since Hoglund tagged that spot on IG people and flocking there. He has 25k followers and everyone wants to be Insta famous and starts over running the crap
out of nice areas. Discovery is what makes exploring awesome. Giving people locations takes that away and makes those areas more crowded. Before you know it the area you treasured turns into Imogene Pass. All rutted up and bumper to bumper.
I see your point but I disagree with this. Maybe when you have tens of thousand of viewers it might be a problem but up until that point I think sharing maps and cords is important to help other people find neat places to go. There is plenty of outdoors for everyone. Frankly, if everyone put all their locations up then people wouldn't bombard the only ones they know about.

Maybe I'm getting old or it's the hunting guide coming out in me lol. I've always looked at maps or google earth for an area I wanted to explore and plotted a route. I'll always be one to argue that giving a spot away gives it more attention and then before you know it that spot you fondly remember is no more. No one wants to work for it anymore. They just want to be pointed towards something awesome so they can enjoy it without working for it. And some people want to make a name for themselves by giving away the info. You do you tho. If you dont have a problem with people crowding to your areas then go for it

Back