• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Screw it. I'm developing my own Instagram style app for people like us.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I've had a pretty strong interest in website development and design for about 15 years now. Computer programming, or coding, is done in different 'languages' depending on the platform. These languages are complicated to master and are very different from each other. However, knowing one makes learning the second easier, and so on.

A website is typically written in HTML, CSS, and JS. These 3 are what I know the most right now but I have been taking an online course to learn Swift, the language iOS and macOS apps are written in. I'm really enjoying it and I have an app that I'm practicing with.

My app idea is an Instagram style interface but without the bullshit and all of the content will be focused on trucks, 4x4, rock crawling, overlanding, van life, DIY projects, nature conservation, and exploration; you know, the stuff we're into.

It should allow you to see the exact content you want to see without the fluffy influencer bullshit. No stories, no videos, no hashtags (I have a plan for an alternative to hashtags that I think will work better). You'll just get a feed of photos, in chronological order, from the people you chose to follow. This is essentially how Instagram launched and this was what I loved about the app.

My app won't have thots, celebrities, photos of anything besides the specific categories I mentioned, ads, or -- hopefully -- any stress or trolls.

This will take me a long time to develop because I don't want to launch something half-assed. There's also a lot of logistics that go into it (like where are all of the photos hosted and having it approved in the App Store).

I'm excited and I'm having a lot of fun learning so I just wanted to share my ideas with you guys. Also, I'd love to get an app going that'll let you use the T3G forum but accomplishing that is actually much more complicated.

✌️

Hey man props to you for getting into coding.

Let me know if you need any guidance/consulting. I don't do phone apps but I have done a bit of web & back end stuff.

I'll also be available for the beta testing haha

if you are going to develop an app and not charge for it you should run ad's. of course specific to off roading and the "TRUK BRO" lifestyle to help offset the costs.

if you are going to develop an app and not charge for it you should run ad's. of course specific to off roading and the "TRUK BRO" lifestyle to help offset the costs.
I’ll never run ads on anything I create.

I would accept donations, subscription memberships that are not mandatory, allowing a vendor to advertise within their own page (or, in the case of this forum, their own section), but never ads.

I hate ads, we all hate ads, blah blah. I’ve never once clicked on an add or seen something in an ad and then wanted the item. I’ve also never not had an Adblock after those became a thing. And I have zero respect for sellout websites that are littered with ads (almost all of them now).

This isn’t meant to be rude toward you at all. I’m just really not a fan of today’s advertising model.

Happy Yes It Is GIF

I’ll never run ads on anything I create.

I would accept donations, subscription memberships that are not mandatory, allowing a vendor to advertise within their own page (or, in the case of this forum, their own section), but never ads.

I hate ads, we all hate ads, blah blah. I’ve never once clicked on an add or seen something in an ad and then wanted the item. I’ve also never not had an Adblock after those became a thing. And I have zero respect for sellout websites that are littered with ads (almost all of them now).

This isn’t meant to be rude toward you at all. I’m just really not a fan of today’s advertising model.
not takin as rude it all. :)

You planning on posting updates in here? I'm interested in watching how this goes. I imagine there are going to be quite a few unforeseen challenges to creating social media app.

You planning on posting updates in here? I'm interested in watching how this goes. I imagine there are going to be quite a few unforeseen challenges to creating social media app.
I can but this is going to take months of trial and error. And I'm not going to push myself to get it done sooner than later because I want this to be relaxing for me, which it is. I don't want to put pressure on myself by giving a timeline or anything like that yet.

I can but this is going to take months of trial and error. And I'm not going to push myself to get it done sooner than later because I want this to be relaxing for me, which it is. I don't want to put pressure on myself by giving a timeline or anything like that yet.
Totally fair. I see it as awesome if it happens, but I can easily see the limitations of handling this site being a handful, let alone building a better social media app ground-up yourself.

I'm a software test engineer for work, so understand software very well, but have never got the knack of actually writing it. Just never meshed well with me. I'm always interested in the backends of things, though; the servers that hold the info, how they handle all of the information getting read/written CONSTANTLY, how apps manage to handle iOS and Android (which I understand why you never mentioned writing for Android).

Totally fair. I see it as awesome if it happens, but I can easily see the limitations of handling this site being a handful, let alone building a better social media app ground-up yourself.

I'm a software test engineer for work, so understand software very well, but have never got the knack of actually writing it. Just never meshed well with me. I'm always interested in the backends of things, though; the servers that hold the info, how they handle all of the information getting read/written CONSTANTLY, how apps manage to handle iOS and Android (which I understand why you never mentioned writing for Android).
That’s cool and interesting. I’ve always been more interested in frontend because I dislike a majority of the UI/UX that we are usually forced to use. I’m not even happy with T3G’s right now (which is why I’ve been redesigning it). I’m still interested in backend just so I can be full-stack and not need the help of someone else but I definitely don’t know my way around servers of databases like you do.

That’s cool and interesting. I’ve always been more interested in frontend because I dislike a majority of the UI/UX that we are usually forced to use. I’m not even happy with T3G’s right now (which is why I’ve been redesigning it). I’m still interested in backend just so I can be full-stack and not need the help of someone else but I definitely don’t know my way around servers of databases like you
I don't want to overstate my knowledge, I am only really good at seeing the large picture and finding out what's likely to break. Feel free to reach out if you ever need somebody to bounce ideas back and forth. I'm happy to help out, since I've been enjoying digging through this site so far.

I don't want to overstate my knowledge, I am only really good at seeing the large picture and finding out what's likely to break. Feel free to reach out if you ever need somebody to bounce ideas back and forth. I'm happy to help out, since I've been enjoying digging through this site so far.
Appreciate that.

Back