Foreign Salvage Mission

• 🤙Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum!
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

uk_tacoma

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
James
T3G Member
#4,480
Hey everyone, my name's James and I'm the newest member on here although I have been lurking on Instagram for a while.
I just bought a 2017 TRD Pro with a salvage title from a dealer in Miami.
I'd be lying if the last week or so hasn't been stressful. Already a lot of emails back and forth, trying to ascertain all the nitty gritty about the truck, the haggling the price down etc. From what I gather, the truck is too beat up to be re-registered in the states, but fortunately I'm not in the states. In theory, all I have to do is make the repairs and get it past initial tests and registration here.... My vehicle authority website doesn't mention anything about vehicle past. Just current roadworthyness.

Here's a list of what needs fixing. Tell me I'm not crazy?

New drivers curtain airbag
New drivers knee airbag -Probably back to the dealer for these, but neither are a legal requirement so might just be easier to remove altogether. Steering wheel is intact.
New front left fender
New/repair left bedside
New windscreen
New front bumper (Thats ok, I was gonna put a winch bumper on it anyway...)
New fuel cap and flap
Source some headrests for front seats. These have been stolen.
Possibly a new grille.
Possibly drivers window if its not just wound down
New left side tail light (Again, this is fine. I need to change them to amber turn signal units anyway..)

And then there's some dents to deal with at my discretion. Probably won't to be honest. I'm not that fussy. It's whats underneath that counts.

01.jpg

Tacomadad18

T3G Level: Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
Welcome to Tacoma3g.

You have a project on your hands but if you can do most of the work and it’s worth it to you, I say no. You’re not crazy 😜

uk_tacoma

First Name
James
T3G Member
#4,480
Well I'm hoping the worst of it is the airbags. If I can get them sorted, the rest is just panels and glass. Fingers crossed.

uk_tacoma

First Name
James
T3G Member
#4,480
Got the windshield replaced in the states. $270, which i thought was ok considering that was parts and labour. I've seen just the glass for sale for over 600. First tricky part sorted. I was gonna do the drivers window too, but couldn't get a straight answer from the dealer whether it was broken or just open. Anyway time is up. It's on it's way to the docks. :D

Attachments

uk_tacoma

First Name
James
T3G Member
#4,480
Ok so I need a favour (possibly the first of many... lol) My truck is missing the front headrests. The only pair on ebay is an EXTORTIONATE price, so I'm seeking out alternatives.
I've found Lexus headrests for like $25 a piece. They don't have the red stitching, but they are black leather and beggars can't be choosers right?

Does anyone have time to whip out a front headrest, measure the distance centre to centre of the legs that go into the chair, and the diameter of said legs.
Would really appreciate it as this is info I'll never find on the interweb.

Thanks!

Attachments

uk_tacoma

First Name
James
T3G Member
#4,480
I'm still hanging in there!
Ship was massively delayed in the states so is currently 3 weeks behind schedule. It's just off Portugal at the moment so probably wont see it till next year now. Booooooo

In other news, the gear knob and tail lights have arrived in the post. All good.

Attachments

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Onyx
Vendor Relations
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Crazy!! You're shipping it to the UK?!? That's awesome! How difficult is it too get registered there once imported?

uk_tacoma

First Name
James
T3G Member
#4,480
Crazy!! You're shipping it to the UK?!? That's awesome! How difficult is it too get registered there once imported?
Not sure, never done it before! But according to the government website, it has to be road worthy by our rules -so rear fog light, side repeaters and nothing hanging off obviously.
The whole process costs £150 and a day in the test centre.

I'm hoping they dont dig too deep into the vehicle history but then, if a biker can make a trike out of half a Volkswagen and half a bike why wouldn't a repaired truck pass?

Mr. Nobody

Vendor Relations
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Well hopefully it's a simple process. Can't wait to see it on the road in the UK!! 👍

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
Welcome to the forum. This might be the most interesting build we have due to the salvage title and UK shipping, lol. I'm sure the price had a lot to do with it, but how did you get yourself to be confident enough to go all in on a salvaged truck like this?

uk_tacoma

First Name
James
T3G Member
#4,480
Thanks!
This isn't the first 'crazy' thing I've done. 5 years ago I bought a house in Bulgaria just €7500.
It's essentially an empty shell and has sat there ever since, but now thanks to Brexit I might actually end up on a winner because I'll be classed as a Bulgarian citizen and not need a Visa....

FB_IMG_1576863196977.jpg

Anyway back to the truck. Like I said at the start I've always wanted one and it just came to the point where I had to take that leap of faith. Yes I do have nightmares about it turning up with a twisted frame. I really hope it doesn't. If it does, well If a new frame is too expensive I guess I can always sell it on to Africa or somewhere without regulations.
The shipping has been really easy. Agent at the USA side organised pretty much everything- including another agent UK side to get it through customs and out of the docks.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
Thanks!
This isn't the first 'crazy' thing I've done. 5 years ago I bought a house in Bulgaria just €7500.
It's essentially an empty shell and has sat there ever since, but now thanks to Brexit I might actually end up on a winner because I'll be classed as a Bulgarian citizen and not need a Visa....

View attachment 17073

Anyway back to the truck. Like I said at the start I've always wanted one and it just came to the point where I had to take that leap of faith. Yes I do have nightmares about it turning up with a twisted frame. I really hope it doesn't. If it does, well If a new frame is too expensive I guess I can always sell it on to Africa or somewhere without regulations.
The shipping has been really easy. Agent at the USA side organised pretty much everything- including another agent UK side to get it through customs and out of the docks.
The house and the truck are pretty cool. I like your style.

uk_tacoma

First Name
James
T3G Member
#4,480
Ok so update. The truck landed, has been processed through customs and is now at a shipping agents yard in the uk. It's cheaper to store it there than the docks.
But I've suffered a bit of a set back. Somewhere along the line MORE bits have been stolen. The most random being ONE wheel. Yep. Just the one. Wtf.
I should be covered by the insurance for this but the sum of the parts is well over $700 and it's a load of paperwork I didn't want to have to do.
Theres also a dent in the roof. I tried REALLY hard to avoid this kind of damage because it's hard to fix. The dealer never mentioned it so I don't know where it happened. This is now my main concern because you can't replace a roof.
I'll try and post a pic. Would be nice to hear your thoughts on the roof, -whether it could be pushed/pulled back. (Its in the middle, looks like someone stood on it)

IMG_20191231_142931_resized_20191231_023815758.jpg

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
Ok so update. The truck landed, has been processed through customs and is now at a shipping agents yard in the uk. It's cheaper to store it there than the docks.
But I've suffered a bit of a set back. Somewhere along the line MORE bits have been stolen. The most random being ONE wheel. Yep. Just the one. Wtf.
I should be covered by the insurance for this but the sum of the parts is well over $700 and it's a load of paperwork I didn't want to have to do.
Theres also a dent in the roof. I tried REALLY hard to avoid this kind of damage because it's hard to fix. The dealer never mentioned it so I don't know where it happened. This is now my main concern because you can't replace a roof.
I'll try and post a pic. Would be nice to hear your thoughts on the roof, -whether it could be pushed/pulled back. (Its in the middle, looks like someone stood on it)

View attachment 17508
That is an unfortunate series of events. The wheel is really weird.

I do think the roof can be pulled out. That dent is in a bad spot that makes it seem like it would be impossible to fix at first glance. But body shops nowadays can handle almost anything. I have seen similarly obscure dents in difficult locations (due to shapes in the metal) fixed to the point where you couldn't tell it was ever there. I don't know about in the UK, but in the US that looks like it could be a $500-$1000 repair.

Aenriquez

T3G Level: Silver
T3G Supporter
First Name
Abel
T3G Member
#5,024
Wow, best of luck with the project, looking forward to following it's progress.

Mr. Nobody

Vendor Relations
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
The roof can likely be fixed. An experienced metal worker with hammer and dolly should be able to get it looking good. Unfortunately it's just another thing that'll take time and money. Depending on how well it comes out you could always get a roof rack and it'll cover most of it anyhow.

uk_tacoma

First Name
James
T3G Member
#4,480
Roof rack was the plan anyway. The roof doesn't need to be perfect, I'd just like some of the dips pushed out so water doesn't pool.

Top Bottom