• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Alternadiv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I miss 2000s-era web design aesthetics. I enjoy using HTML/CSS with XenForo. I decided to combine the two.

Enter, Alternadiv (you are here).

This is my little collection of: peculiar, retro, niche, perhaps... questionable(?), website designs (aka styles, or themes, or templates, or layouts), that are primarily made for the XenForo side of the World Wide Web.

My styles are often inspired by (what I believe was) peak web design: the 2000s. Websites were unique and personable. The "Webmaster" was passonite. Their design matched their content, albiet with chaotic HTML sometimes.

One of my design goals is to recapture that wild "web surfing" vibe, but for modern platforms. Hey, my HTML is controlled chaos, at least! That said, retro isn't always the way. Alternadivly, I prefer working on very niche or extraordinary styles, that probably (and understandably) aren't worth a proper designer's time.

Also, seeing young folks wanting to learn how to modify XenForo motivates me. I have a few DIY (do-it-yourself) styling tools available, such as my XenForo Style Properties UI/UX Design Tool, which can be handy for beginners.

I appreciate a clean, lightweight website that puts the literature in focus first. Less can be more.

To me, modern web design tends to feel bloated, cumbersome to navigate, difficult to visually seperate the content you wanted from the clickbait, and with unexpected layout shifts and poor TTI speeds to boot!

I prefer simplicity and minimalicity(!). Ease of navigation and readability, over fancy and distracting CSS tricks. Snappy page speeds and optimization, over unecessary extra elements and heavy page sizes.

But, if my styles are fast... what's a turtle doing in this block?!

I'm newer to CSS, therefore most of my initial work is the result of learning by trial and server error.

For that reason, my styles are free to download and use (if you're feeling dangerous). But I'm loving the challenge, and, eventually, I'd like to push a few premium themes. You know, with built in style properties and such.

And, for that reason, I encourage suggestions and bug reports. I'm always ready to squash bugs and bake in new features, if asked. After all, practice makes PageSpeed scores!

I'm Tyler, the Webmaster here.

I'm a retired US Marine with chronic back pain a chronic interest in "old school" web design, message boards (forums), and general frontend web development.

Those interests sparked in 2005. However, when I later joined the Marine Corps, I put that web dev notion in my archive of Hasty Hobbies to be Forgotten... or so I thought.

Today, about seventeen years and chronic back pain later, nostalgia decided to dig deep and pull a little bit of ⟨div⟩-this and ⟨/div⟩-that, right from my archive of HHtbF!

I'm stoked about it, though; I'm having a lot of fun teaching myself HTML and CSS, alongside a few other frontend dev areas. Hopefully I'll level up in 2022. Thanks for visiting my page!

If you've ever seen some of my attempts to learn HTML/CSS, and other shenanigans here on the XF forum, you might've noticed my 2000s web design nostalgia showing. If not, have a tl;dr: I miss 2000s-era web design aesthetics and have a 17 year-long interest* in HTML/CSS, specifically for forums. *Interest. As in, not experience.

alt⟨div -- peculiar, retro, and other niche XenForo styles

Alternadiv.com will become my personal website to share my free XF styles and other web dev nonsense.

I'm only sharing it here to hopefully receive some feedback on the homepage and general aesthetic I'm going for. Beyond the homepage, there's not much for an unregistered user to see, not even forums, and that's intentional. I want my site to stay pretty raw.

If you're going to have a look, the only pages of interest would be XenForo Themes, For Free (https://alternadiv.com) and About Alternadiv.com - Updates (https://alternadiv.com/about/updates). (If you manage to navigate elsewhere, well, good luck... I didn't even navigate there yet.)

why⟨tho ?

I miss 2000s-era web design aesthetics. I enjoy experimenting with HTML/CSS. It's been 17 years of wanting to get into frontend web dev and the urge isn't going away. So, I'm accepting my fate and trying to learn how to write my divs like the big boys.

Speaking of writing divs like the big boys, I would be remiss if I didn't mention a few folks who--possibly unbeknownst to them--have kept me motivated.

@Russ from Pixel Exit, @AndyB, @Hotfix, @Deathstarr, @Ozzy47, @arn, @Kirby, @BassMan, @beerForo, @JoyFreak, and I guess... @Brogan.

wt⟨f ?

Glad you asked!

I do actually have a handful of interesting styles to be released here on XF soon. And I have a lot more in their beginning phases. I probably have 100 style ideas written down, most of which have the retro, unusual, or very niche aesthetic I've been blabbing about.

I'm a retired US Marine with chronic back pain a chronic interest in actually getting decent at this. I feel like there's potential for this little web design niche that I'm focused on, even outside of XenForo styles. From my site, here are some of my philosophies for Alternadiv designing:
Websites were unique and personable. The "Webmaster" was passonite. Their design matched their content, albiet with chaotic HTML sometimes.

One of my design goals is to recapture that wild "web surfing" vibe, but for modern platforms. Hey, my HTML is controlled chaos, at least! That said, retro isn't always the way. Alternadivly, I prefer working on very niche or extraordinary styles, that probably (and understandably) aren't worth a proper designer's time.
I appreciate a clean, lightweight website that puts the literature in focus first. Less can be more.

To me, modern web design tends to feel bloated, cumbersome to navigate, difficult to visually separate the content you wanted from the clickbait, and with unexpected layout shifts and poor TTI speeds to boot!

I prefer simplicity and minimalicity(!).
I'm newer to CSS, therefore most of my initial work is the result of learning by trial and server error.

For that reason, my styles are free to download and use (if you're feeling dangerous). But I'm loving the challenge, and, eventually, I'd like to push a few premium themes. You know, with built in style properties and such.

And, for that reason, I encourage suggestions and bug reports. I'm always ready to squash bugs and bake in new features, if asked. After all, practice makes PageSpeed scores!

Again, this is a hobby for me. And the styles will be uploaded here on the XF forum, for free. I'm not really trying to pull traffic to my site. I don't know if there will ever be an actual reason to allow registrations and/or use the forum part of XF.

Ironically, the code for my homepage is messy right now, but I'll tidy that up when I stop making 100 tiny changes every hour. I haven't done much mobile-firsting yet, but that'll happen too. I'm not worried about the favicon or SEO/analytics for now, BUT! With @Kirby's FontAwesome add-on enabled, my homepage gets a 100 mobile/desktop PageSpeed score! I love removing excess elements (@Anatoliy).

My next big thing will be turning the XFRM into a tool that can display a portfolio and also be a blogging system, without it resembling much of its former self.

If you're still reading this, thanks! Please do tell if you have any suggestions or ideas for any part of the site or me learning how to write good divs.

Also, if you have a XenForo forum that could use a new design, I'd love to make you one for free. Give me a few weeks to show off my "real" style portfolio first. Also also: to keep Alternadiv.com authentically retro, I want to put some "affiliate site" banners somewhere in the footer. If you have a small forum that isn't monetized, let me know if I can add your link. (y)

My styles are inspired by what I believe was peak web design: the 2000s. Websites were unique and personable. The design matched the content, albiet with some ocassional chaotic HTML written by the "Webmaster".

One of my goals is to recapture that wild "web surfing" vibe, but for modern platforms. That said, retro isn't always the way. Alternadivly, I prefer working on very niche and extraordinary styles that probably (and understandably) aren't worth a proper designer's time.

Also, I have a few styling tools available, such as my XenForo Style Properties UI/UX Design Tool, which can be handy for DIY styling beginners.

I appreciate a clean and lightweight website that puts the literature in focus first. Less can be more. But this is rare nowadays.

Modern websites tend to feel bloated. The h u g e padding. The pop-up messages. The autoplaying media. The clickbait-y content blocks. They all create a very combersome experience for the reader. Unfourtunately this is now the web design norm. The good news is Alternadiv isn't the norm. cumbersome to navigate, difficult to visually separate the content you wanted from the clickbait, and with unexpected layout shifts and poor TTI speeds to boot!

My designs don't use fancy CSS/JS tricks to create heavy pages, unexpected layout shifts, and poor TTI speeds. Instead, I aim to do the most with the least, resulting in snappy page speeds and straightfoward navigation.

But, if my styles are fast... what's a turtle doing in this block?!

For that reason, my styles are free to download and use (if you're feeling dangerous). I'm loving the challenge, and eventually I'd like to ship a few premium styles. You know, with built in style properties and such.

And, for that reason, please send me suggestions and bug reports. I'm always ready to squash bugs and bake in new features, if asked. After all, practice makes PageSpeed scores!

I'm Tyler, the Webmaster here.

I'm a retired US Marine with chronic back pain a chronic interest in "old school" web design, message boards (forums), and general web development.

Those interests originally began in 2005. However, when I later joined the Marine Corps, I filed them straight into my archive of Hasty Hobbies to be Forever Forgotten... or so I thought.

Today, about seventeen years and chronic back pain later, nostalgia dug deep and pulled a little bit of ⟨div⟩-this and ⟨/div⟩-that, right back outta my HHtbFF archive! I'm stoked to be back and I'm really having fun teaching myself HTML/CSS alongside a few other frontend dev areas.

Hopefully I'll level up in 2022 so I can help make your site look different. Thanks for visiting my page! 🖤

I enjoy browsing random websites and forums from a web dev perspective to find inspiration for future projects. Over the years I have collected hundreds of sites, each bookmarked for a specific reason beyond its content. Sharing and writing about some of them will soon become a section on my new personal site.

In this thread, I'm going to maintain a slimmer version of my entries for those who also web surf like this. The list in this thread will start small but I'll make updates whenever I have time.

The sites I browse will generally:
  • have a forum
  • use XenForo
  • are privately owned
And some of the attributes that earn my bookmark are:
  • an old school or unique design
  • an old school internet forum community vibe
  • design is simple or default XenForo but with clever functionality differences
  • owner is member number 1 (as in, site founder is still the owner)
  • making good use of XenForo core functions, XFRM and XFMG
  • using XenForo to create a nice homepage that isn't the forum list
  • using XenForo to create something that is not a forum at all
Other notes:
  • a site with many ads would probably not earn my bookmark but I don't see the ads so I can't confirm or deny if any of these sites are cluttered
  • on forums, I don't love when it appears there is no founder/owner/leader actively posting
  • it doesn't matter to me if a forum is now a ghost town because forum content is not what I'm interested in

I'm going to keep the table simple by using emojis. Here is my emoji key:

emoji​
why I bookmarked​
⭐
particularly notable / personal favorite​
💎
nice design​
💾
old school or peculiar design​
🔹
uses default XenForo style well​
📖