• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Complete Engine Failure

TheNotty84

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 SR5 DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So, Friday, I was just driving to pick my wife is from work and my truck literally crapped out on me... Just died in the middle of the road while driving 35mph. It stuttered real bad and then just died.
The HUD display came up all red and said Transmission oil temperature high! I had to tow the truck to the dealership because it wouldn't even start back up.
Yesterday afternoon and the dealership called me after initially looking at the truck and told me those three harrowing words, "complete engine failure".
The service writer, as well as myself, was baffled and flabbergasted to see this, as this truck is literally 2 months old with only 3500 miles on it.
Well, because of the holiday weekend, they are getting someone to come out on Tuesday to inspect the cause of the problem. I'm just hoping that I don't have to get a whole new truck because I've already done a lot to this one and there's a few things I can't just transfer over to new one.

Anyways... That's how I'm spending my Labor Day Weekend. Hope everyone else is having a better one than me.

I'll keep you posted on the findings.

P.S.: have an extra drink for me and pray for the best. *Fingers crossed*

I have a 2021 toyota tacoma i was 400 miles away when my check engine light came when i pulled into my families home. my brother in law which is a mechanic for 25 years stated he heard a taping noise and told me i should do an oil change. i could not get an appointment with a dealership so my brother in law was kind enough to do it. (59,550 miles) the day after he did the oil change oil filter air filter i drove back home 450 miles and when i stopped heard and car was idling heard this ticking noise. stop at my mechanic that i would use for little things and told me to get it to the dealership which i drove 70 miles to get to. Explained to the service manager what the issue was and asked for him to listen to the noise did not do so he told me make an appointment and we would diagnost it. well brought in 3 people heard the loud noise but when it got to the technician he said he did not. advised me that i needed to do another oil change because the oil filter that was used was an aftermarket one (nappa which is top of the line oil filter) when doing the oil change there was metal in the oil and stated that it was due to the aftermarket oil filter that was used for the 450 miles (prior to that was a toyota oil filter) which when my brother law said was making a noise prior but could only hear outside the car (plus no warning lights came on at all except oil maintenance lite which i knew i should change before i drove home) made 5 phone calls into corporate no one has called back have to pay $1500 to tear down engine but they will probably not cover even if i was only over 1mile. I am waiting for field manager to call 5 days to see what they are going to do nothing. once this is done i will sell this vechicle or find a new dealership

not happy in Toms River,NJ

Upvote 0
Interesting. An aftermarket oil filter would not void the warranty UNLESS it was not the correct filter. The filters and caps in these Tacoma's are not like all the other Toyota vehicles. It's possible that had one that was not constructed properly for your specific engine. Make sure all the old parts are saved so they can be inspected, including the factory filter and/or cap that you removed.
Filter Cap.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back