• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

Tacoma3G is a beginner-friendly 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma (2016-2023 model-years) forum. We are a community of people who are focused on good information and good vibes. T3G is the passion-project of a USMC/Toyota technician.

Blake’s 2017 build thread

Five months and a week later, my rear bumper finally arrived. I’m not sure why it took so long, but I was ready to get this thing installed.
They did an excellent job. The construction and welds are just beautiful.

View attachment 12811

Like all of the other armor I installed, I went with cheap rattle can paint (2 coats of primer and 2-3 coats of paint) because I know it’s going to get beat and scratched up. No sense in spending a lot of money on powder coat.

View attachment 12812

View attachment 12813

View attachment 12814

View attachment 12815
Nice crib in the background as well. Cudo’s to u, freakin killer Tacoma!

Then I thought it was time for a suspension upgrade. Nothing fancy. I didn’t see the need for any high dollar coilovers. I don’t have any long washboard roads or open desert to blast across. Everywhere I was off road was slow pace.

I decided on OME 886 springs and 90000 shocks up front, since I already had bumper, winch, and skid on order.
View attachment 12771

And some JBA UCAs.
View attachment 12772

For the rear, I decided on a Chevy 63 swap. It’s a little more work than just slapping on some aftermarket leaf springs and shocks, but well worth it.
I ordered the parts I needed.
The 63 swap kit, Chevy 63” springs, Ford shock towers, and Bilstein 5125s (14” travel).
View attachment 12774

These springs are looong compared to the Tacoma springs.
View attachment 12775

If you aren’t familiar with the 63 swap, here’s a quick rundown....
Remove all rear suspension from the truck.
Cut and grind leaf spring mounts off of the frame.
Cut and grind the shock mounts off of the axle and frame.
Weld all new mounts to frame and axle.
Bolt all the new parts on.
Simple.... ;)

To be continued......
Im not sure if your still active but i would love a list of where you got all the parts for the rear! Ive been looking at doing this for a while and have decided i may as well just get it done and finished.

Back