• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2023 Rough Idle

Sr5fenz

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new here, I have a new 2023 sr5 v6 tacoma. I’ve noticed since buying my truck the idle(especially in gear) is really rough. The tachometer never moves up or down though. The cab has a constant shake like your sitting in a massage chair. 2 dealers ran diagnostics without coming up with anything. Next step is for a FTS to come take a look at it in couple weeks. I’ll say that the idle has never gotten worse or better in the 3200 miles I’ve driven the truck. The longer it stays running the rougher the idle gets. Temperature over 45 degrees also seems to make it rougher. Any thoughts? No check engine light either!

My thought is make Toyota make it right you shouldn’t lose money cause they don’t want to fix it. You can take it back to the dealer and leave it and refuse to pick it up until they fix it. I could speculate forever what it could be but the bottom line is a Toyota technician should be able to figure this out.
Absolutely agree. I already contacted a lemon law lawyer to get an idea what my rights are in this situation if Toyota refuses to fix it. I’m over it. Totally ridiculous a 40k truck runs like a old truck with 500k miles thats 30 years old

Upvote 0
My other issue is even getting Toyota to recognize there is a problem with my truck. They all keep saying it’s normal. Get in another 3rd gen and completely different expierence

Upvote 0
Wouldn’t a bad spark plug or coil throw and engine light? I’m thinking more along the lines of a motor mount. At 1500 rpm in gear I get a nasty vibration in the floor board. Vibrates to some extent at any rpm but 1500 is the worst. When coming to a stop in gear you can physically see the seat and steering wheel slightly shaking and feel strong vibrations coming through the cab with it slightly shaking. Tachometer doesn’t reflect the vibration. It stays steady at 550-600 rpm
If it is that noticeable and your dealer says nothing is wrong go to a different dealer.
No vehicle should do that if running correctly.
If this dealer refusal continues you have two productive options, hire an auto attorney or trade it in.

Upvote 0
Just checking in to see if Toyota has resolved your idle issue?
No they haven’t. Another appointment scheduled. Corporate is very involved though. I mentioned I’m not the only one with this issue. They claim they haven’t heard of this issue in my region of Pennsylvania

Upvote 0
So looked at my harmonic balancer/crank pulley tonight and noticed the rubber ring is cracking all over it. Granted can only see the front side but I can’t imagine this is normal on a truck with 5k miles. Have an appointment on Tuesday with Toyota and I’m gonna bring this to their attention as this is the 6th time going back to the dealerships for my complaint

Upvote 0

Here is a similar thread on TW could be you if not it’s a similar issue.

I was thinking your problem was just rough idle the TW thread has a vibration at any RPM.

Upvote 0

Here is a similar thread on TW could be you if not it’s a similar issue.

I was thinking your problem was just rough idle the TW thread has a vibration at any RPM.
That’s me. Rough idle and vibrations

Upvote 0
I hope you have found the issue it’s a shame you have had to track down the problem yourself. We pay beyond 40K for these trucks and other than looking good that’s about all we get for our money.

I have been looking at the Nissan Frontier for next purchase since they did a complete redesign it is a good looking truck. It also still has a V6 and that is the most encouraging thing about it.

Upvote 0
In
I hope you have found the issue it’s a shame you have had to track down the problem yourself. We pay beyond 40K for these trucks and other than looking good that’s about all we get for our money.

I have been looking at the Nissan Frontier for next purchase since they did a complete redesign it is a good looking truck. It also still has a V6 and that is the most encouraging thing about it.
Are you going to be trading in your tacoma. Yes it’s pathetic what I’ve had to go through. If the harmonic balancer doesn’t fix the issue then at least I know I’m on to something by finding a part that clearly should not be cracking with 5k miles. I’m just glad I found something for the dang dealer to focus on and inspect rather then just say it’s normal

Upvote 0
No, for now I’m going to keep mine but if I starts having issues I will. For a while I had a rough idle when mine was in gear with the ac on but it seems to have improved. I mainly could feel it in the steering wheel when I would be at a stop light. It was very annoying and Toyota told me it wax normal I knew it wasn’t since it was smooth as glass until around 7,000 miles.

If I do trade I am going to entertain the possibility of buying a Nissan Frontier.

Upvote 0
No, for now I’m going to keep mine but if I starts having issues I will. For a while I had a rough idle when mine was in gear with the ac on but it seems to have improved. I mainly could feel it in the steering wheel when I would be at a stop light. It was very annoying and Toyota told me it wax normal I knew it wasn’t since it was smooth as glass until around 7,000 miles.

If I do trade I am going to entertain the possibility of buying a Nissan Frontier.
I don’t know buddy, the Nissan frontier is plagued with its own set of issues. I’d still bet money on Toyota even though I haven’t been to impressed, I do collision repair work and Toyota is still the best quality despite their issues and downfalls

Upvote 0
Check out the issues I had with my truck when I purchased.

Here is a picture of the left rear door it was really out of alignment. I didn’t post a picture of it on TW but I did list it as an issue. Luckily I saw all these issues when I picked it up and had the dealer note them on the sales contract.

Attachments

• IMG_3062.jpeg
    IMG_3062.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
Back