• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

WVYTACO Build Thread

wvytaco

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 Pro DCSB Auto
Cavalry Blue
How are things going guys! Just picked up this fresh 2018 tacoma and diving straight into modifications and Overlanding! I already did a full build on a 2018 4runner but very much needed a truck. (and the capabilities of the taco are incredibly improved)

If anybody is interested in sharing what they would do first?

My thoughts are similar to this.....
-Regear
-6inch BDS (already have a 3.5 or whatever is on there) not sure if this is the best option?
-hardcover rooftop tent? Not sure about the brand but kinda liked the look of the Go Fast Tents
-(maybe a set of show wheels and tires) don't tell any die-hard overlanders/offroaders tho haha.

View attachment 33203

That's a seriously nice truck, dude. Take your time, enjoy it, and post more pics of it. Where TF was that color when I bought mine? I've not seen one like it over here. Welcome.

How are things going guys! Just picked up this fresh 2018 tacoma and diving straight into modifications and Overlanding! I already did a full build on a 2018 4runner but very much needed a truck. (and the capabilities of the taco are incredibly improved)

If anybody is interested in sharing what they would do first?

My thoughts are similar to this.....
-Regear
-6inch BDS (already have a 3.5 or whatever is on there) not sure if this is the best option?
-hardcover rooftop tent? Not sure about the brand but kinda liked the look of the Go Fast Tents
-(maybe a set of show wheels and tires) don't tell any die-hard overlanders/offroaders tho haha.

View attachment 33203
Welcome.

First things first: work on keeping it running clean. Throw on a oil separator, maybe extend that rear diff breather, magnetic drain plugs, etc.
Second: protect it. PPF, ceramic, wax, whatever you prefer. I recommend ppf over the whole vehicle. Never do partial panels.
Third: tune it. Just did mine and can’t believe I waited so long.

Hello and welcome to Tacoma3g!

Regear or tune it. Lots of people wish they would have done either or both sooner

Just an update on this thread, full paint correction and ceramic coat complete💪 Makes this 2018 look like a 2021 off the lot😍

Attachments

• 832A40BF-6AA7-4469-AD53-0299665E5662.jpeg
    832A40BF-6AA7-4469-AD53-0299665E5662.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 05C69D9B-2BEA-451A-826C-00FD0B7BA10B.jpeg
    05C69D9B-2BEA-451A-826C-00FD0B7BA10B.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 137
Managed to find some time to get out on the trails this weekend! Singletrack in north Ogden, Utah is currently unbeatable! The new 450 did its job and tore up the trail!
IMG_0243.jpgIMG_0202.jpg

Love the Calvary!! Was definitely on my list! Welcome!

Finally got the Summit offroad Sierras installed! Had been waiting for the dakars for what seems like forever and they would sell out instantly but managed to get my hands on these! Truck never looked so bold or rubbed so bad ahahah.

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg

Was able to go perform some basic flexy in Moab this past weekend, got to find out how bad these wheels and tires rub :ROFLMAO:. The back tucks very well but the front just likes to smash into my body mount, gonna need to relocate that asap!
Also got caught in a mega downpour/thunderstorm in southern Utah and realized I need that diff breather mod bad!!! I saw someone did a write-up on it somewhere on here but haven't been able to find it? Can anybody link it to me please and thank you?

gotem.jpg
got them.jpg

My build page has a write up. Super easy.

My build page has a write up. Super easy.
Perfect thank you! Also, does anybody have experience with just ordering the breather from Toyota and doing a DIY or is ARB the best way to go? Just interested in both options.

TW has a write up somewhere on a diy. $70 for the arb kit, you'll save $35 with the diy, but you'll spend 2-3 hours (or more) going around a buying the stuff, finding it was the wrong part, etc. Felt like my time was worth more. The kit is easy and everything you need is there.

Outcast did a write up on the diy option.

You just need it for the rear diff correct? Not needed for the front or transfer case?

Performed the dumbest thing of my career and installed 35x13.5/17 maxxis razrs, look amazing in my opinion, trimmed the fenders up nicely and have been working out where it rubs and where I will need to run, CMR from DRT fabrication going in next!
2F6FD20A-2110-4F7F-8792-9D952F7D1140.jpeg
2E9C5491-763B-4E49-A1AB-8F88C5AAC32A.jpeg
B24CD95B-E557-40FD-AAAE-00453B39BC51.jpeg
C1913B3A-D917-420F-BA45-D8A6309C9F84.jpeg

Performed the dumbest thing of my career and installed 35x13.5/17 maxxis razrs, look amazing in my opinion, trimmed the fenders up nicely and have been working out where it rubs and where I will need to run, CMR from DRT fabrication going in next!
2F6FD20A-2110-4F7F-8792-9D952F7D1140.jpeg
2E9C5491-763B-4E49-A1AB-8F88C5AAC32A.jpeg
B24CD95B-E557-40FD-AAAE-00453B39BC51.jpeg
C1913B3A-D917-420F-BA45-D8A6309C9F84.jpeg
That looks fantastic!

Ok here goes. I'm sorry to say I got taken up with life and distracted from this awesome forum where you can learn so much. The last update I have on here was when I installed the 35x13.5/17 Maxxis RAZRs. These are still on and are ready to be replaced with something special very soon.

I'll start with a few photos of where the truck sits today. ((edit) I couldn't figure out how to crop the vertical images sorry)
front climb.jpeg

rear.jpeg

front coil.jpeg

Now for the parts list. I'll just bore you with specs here.

Armor:
Backwoods Adventure Mods Aluminum High Clearance Front W/ Bullbar
Backwoods Adventure Mods Steel High Clearance Rear, NO Swingout.
Backwoods Adventure Mods Aluminum Full Skid System
RIG'd Ultraswing Tire Carrier/Table W/ DRT Fab Skid
Lighting:
7 Vivid Lumens FNG 5 On Camper
4 Vivid Lumens FNG 3 On hood and in bumper.
Alpharex Nova Headlights
Alpharex Taillights
4 KC Rocklights, one in each wheel.
Tacoma Lifestyle Sequential Mirror Turn Signals
Wheels/Tires:
SSW Strykers 17x9-25 2" Spacer
Maxxis Razr 35/13.5R17
Suspension:
Rear:
Deaver Stage 3 Leafs
Locked Offroad Hydro Bump
Locked Offroad 2.5 Adjustable Resi Shock
Front:
Stock LCA W/ DRT Skid
KSP UCA
Locked Offroad 2.5 Adjustable Resi Coilovers
MISC:
Go Fast Camper V2
Backwoods Adventure Mods GFC Molle Panel
8runner Offroad/PRP Quick Release Steering Wheel
TacoVynil Front Paintmatch Pro Grill
Tint 5% All around 20% Windshield
Alpha Equipt Carbon Snorkel
Radio Antenna (unsure of brand)
Barricade 12k Winch

Wow that's a shitload of parts. Embarrassing when you put it all in one sheet haha.

Also, here is a photo of it in city mode. Different bumpers, 24x14 wheels, 33" Tires. Clout Catcher for a Custom Offsets media campaign so don't get all fired up.
3.4 wides.jpeg

To backup my stupid excuse of life catching up to me, here's evidence. I had a "midlife crisis" at 21 :ROFLMAO: quit college and got my private heli liscence, and now working on my next ratings to make a career out of it!
heli.jpeg

To backup my stupid excuse of life catching up to me, here's evidence. I had a "midlife crisis" at 21 :ROFLMAO: quit college and got my private heli liscence, and now working on my next ratings to make a career out of it!
heli.jpeg
That's awesome!! Flying is so much fun. Last aircraft I flew in was a OH-58 (Bell 206 in civ world), and rode in a UH-1 Huey from SW Mo to Arizona. Such good memories! I was also a AH-64 mechanic, and I work at a facility where we rebuild UH-60 & CH-47's.

Ok here goes. I'm sorry to say I got taken up with life and distracted from this awesome forum where you can learn so much. The last update I have on here was when I installed the 35x13.5/17 Maxxis RAZRs. These are still on and are ready to be replaced with something special very soon.

I'll start with a few photos of where the truck sits today. ((edit) I couldn't figure out how to crop the vertical images sorry)
front climb.jpeg

rear.jpeg

front coil.jpeg

Now for the parts list. I'll just bore you with specs here.

Armor:
Backwoods Adventure Mods Aluminum High Clearance Front W/ Bullbar
Backwoods Adventure Mods Steel High Clearance Rear, NO Swingout.
Backwoods Adventure Mods Aluminum Full Skid System
RIG'd Ultraswing Tire Carrier/Table W/ DRT Fab Skid
Lighting:
7 Vivid Lumens FNG 5 On Camper
4 Vivid Lumens FNG 3 On hood and in bumper.
Alpharex Nova Headlights
Alpharex Taillights
4 KC Rocklights, one in each wheel.
Tacoma Lifestyle Sequential Mirror Turn Signals
Wheels/Tires:
SSW Strykers 17x9-25 2" Spacer
Maxxis Razr 35/13.5R17
Suspension:
Rear:
Deaver Stage 3 Leafs
Locked Offroad Hydro Bump
Locked Offroad 2.5 Adjustable Resi Shock
Front:
Stock LCA W/ DRT Skid
KSP UCA
Locked Offroad 2.5 Adjustable Resi Coilovers
MISC:
Go Fast Camper V2
Backwoods Adventure Mods GFC Molle Panel
8runner Offroad/PRP Quick Release Steering Wheel
TacoVynil Front Paintmatch Pro Grill
Tint 5% All around 20% Windshield
Alpha Equipt Carbon Snorkel
Radio Antenna (unsure of brand)
Barricade 12k Winch

Wow that's a shitload of parts. Embarrassing when you put it all in one sheet haha.

Also, here is a photo of it in city mode. Different bumpers, 24x14 wheels, 33" Tires. Clout Catcher for a Custom Offsets media campaign so don't get all fired up.
3.4 wides.jpeg

Can I see your wheel wells and cabin mount area?
Looks for ideas. My fender liner has to go.
Did you end up going with the 6"?

Can I see your wheel wells and cabin mount area?
Looks for ideas. My fender liner has to go.
Did you end up going with the 6"?
Nope 2.5 Lift, no higher, and yea i have a CMR and removed my liner.

Back