• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Why did you decide to buy a Tacoma?

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
After being on here for a while and seeing all these awesome trucks. Each one having it's own purpose and personal touch. It got me thinking and wondering why each of us chose this particular vehichle. Aside from the obvious durability, what made you commit. Did you have big plans for it? Did life dictate a need for it?

For me, I drove a 2011 Ford F250 for 10yrs before this rig. It was a great truck, especially living on a farm. It would pull anything I asked it to and never gave me any mechanical headaches. But after 180k miles it needed a new bed. So I looked at getting another. I prefer my trucks stripped down. Hand crank windows and rubber floors. The same truck I paid 36k for in 2010 was now 48k. No way in hell I was paying that for a stripped down truck that got me 11mpg.
I love offloading and have been doing it since I was a kid. I knew my future would need a four door over an extended cab and higher fuel economy would be great. So I started looking at the Tacoma. In October 2019 dealers were still trying to get rid of units to make room for the '20 models and I got a killer deal on my 2019 SR. I had plans on building and adventure rig and used the extra cash to build it out. I now have a rig that's built that can show my family places and experience things that most travelers dont get to see. It's a never ending build that me and the kids get to work on so they can learn and developed a skill and hobby if they'd like. Plus my lovely wife is just as Tacoma crazy as I am so parts are always a go. It gave me a super reliable vehichle and brought my family together. The truck was a no brainer in the end.
20200823_083739-01.jpeg
20210531_145913-01.jpeg

I had been eyeing Tacoma’s for years. I grew up with mostly lowered cars, but my wife and are wanting to get a camper. So we started the hunt, it was really between the Tacoma and gladiator. Which after some hard deliberation, reliability won overall. Nothing wrong with Jeep’s, I just feel like Toyota’s reliability is up there with Honda if not better. Buying this truck is the best decision I’ve honestly ever made. I love this thing, more than I thought I would!

I had been eyeing Tacoma’s for years. I grew up with mostly lowered cars, but my wife and are wanting to get a camper. So we started the hunt, it was really between the Tacoma and gladiator. Which after some hard deliberation, reliability won overall. Nothing wrong with Jeep’s, I just feel like Toyota’s reliability is up there with Honda if not better. Buying this truck is the best decision I’ve honestly ever made. I love this thing, more than I thought I would!
What type of camper are you going for?

I've wanted a Tacoma for over 10 years, for overlanding travel, and finally, I own one. My wife and I will be traveling across country with it, and I want to travel off the beaten path to places where the "Griswold's" don't set-up camp: We are camping snobs, if you catch my drift.

No, I am not going to seek professional help for being a snob; so don't suggest it..... :cool:

In March of 2019, I was looking at purchasing a Tacoma. Instead, I purchased a new Chevy crew cab Silverado RST Z/71 loaded out for close to the same money as a new Tacoma. Chevy was running some crazy deep rebates and discounts and I got in the Silverado at 24% off of sticker. Fast forward 2 years and 2 months and a local used car dealer offers to buy my Silverado for more money than I gave for it new. I took the deal and put a deposit down on a 2021 Sport and took delivery on June 1st. It has been fun adding mods, buying accessories, and personalizing. My white beauty will never win a Rig of the Month, but I like her the way she is!

I was itching to get a Tacoma for quite some time just to use as a daily driver and doing Home Depot runs. Time was right and came across a 2018 SR5 on my dealers website. The dealership didn’t have it yet as it was still sitting at the port but it was exactly what I wanted. Black with the tri fold cover and the gray wheels. Noting too fancy and it does what I need. It’s still stock other then tossing on some nfab steps but I’m very happy with it.

I have an 1989 Toyota Pickup since I bought it brand new in '89. Reliable so in 2017 I wanted a new truck, old man knees needed an automatic, :cool: and nothing else was on my list but a Tacoma. Plus we have two other Toyota vehicles we love.

I drove an FJ before this. But when I bought my house, I needed something more practical for hauling occasional items around but still serving my off-roading needs for hunting and fishing. Tacoma was really the only truck I ever considered. Even 4 years later, I still love the truck.

My family has owned Toyota's for my entire life. I learned to drive on my Dad's 1986 (it was about 20 years old at that point), then my younger brother learned to drive on it, and the engine is still great but the rust was too bad.

I still own my 2000 4Runner that I bought used, and its got 265,000 miles. It's starting to feel those miles and age, so I picked up a new one. Mostly went with the Tacoma because I really wanted a manual again. Plus, I never owned a truck, and wanted a bed. I think I chose right, but it certainly gets cramped in the cab with the dog in the crate in the back seat.

Already enjoying the reliability, and the aftermarket community is great to help with my sometimes tinkering side. It's also so great to toss the tent, a bit of food, a chair, climbing shoes and crash pad and spend a weekend outside of the city wandering around.

I've always been into 4x4s, have owned IH, Jeep, Chevy and an FJ40 Land Cruiser. Last year I sold the Chevy 2500, but started to miss having a truck for Home Depot runs, back country travel and camping. My dad put 260k miles on his 1st gen and reliability is a big concern for me. That, combined with wanting a M/T and the crazy huge Tacoma aftermarket led me to last weekends purchase: A 2017 double cab, off road, MT. I've already ordered bumpers, winch, sliders and too much other stuff. I'm totally addicted in just a week

Had a 2016 tacoma previously, traded it on a 2018 JL due to an exceptional deal. The JL rusted a bit in the salty northeast winters, and I traded yet again on a 2020 TRD Pro. All financial. I miss the Jeep, probably will be in one again, but as a second vehicle. The tacoma does everything I need it to: overloading, hunting, off-road trail riding, back and forth to work, yard work...it even plays F-250 every once in a while.

I always wanted a taco but i could never afford one, well a good one for a decent price anyway. My buddy had 1st and 2nd gen tacos that were awesome and I was a bit jealous to be honest haha.

My previous vehicle was a mazda b4000 (rebadged Ford ranger fx4) and that thing was an absolute beast, never let me down for 7 years. Older fords were very good, despite all the shit people said about them.
I was very excited for the new ranger but then it was a hard pass for me. The only choice is 2.3 turbo a no MT offered, no thanks. I do know it has 310 Tq at about 3500rpm but still, I don’t trust it. I can’t stand AT, just my personal preference.

Finally the time comes to get my taco, I’m super happy with my purchase. I did a few mods to make it almost perfect for me. I removed the clutch fluid accumulator , installed 2WD low mod, flashed ECU with premium SFOB, Borla cat back, poor mans trd intake and she just sings. Love my Tacoma, gonna keep her for 15 years minimum.

Attachments

• 15141B92-3E6B-4338-AA00-D3A4DA1E26CF.jpeg
    15141B92-3E6B-4338-AA00-D3A4DA1E26CF.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 85
  • 72C5E7E8-49CE-4114-B893-C51885AD7376.jpeg
    72C5E7E8-49CE-4114-B893-C51885AD7376.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 79
  • A2ECC9CD-8183-4C69-9DB0-A5A2830A162B.jpeg
    A2ECC9CD-8183-4C69-9DB0-A5A2830A162B.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 213D38A7-4F2D-436B-8CC2-797BEEFB5123.jpeg
    213D38A7-4F2D-436B-8CC2-797BEEFB5123.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 83
The year was 2007, I had 2 Gmc.'s at the time. My wife was driving Envoy Slt, I was driving a High Siearra. I don't know which one I wound up hating more the ex-wife, or those 2 trucks. Gmc was a disaster at that point in time., and both of those trucks had more mechanical problems then the warranties would cover. I had become a fan of how Toyotas had started to look, and they had much better reviews at the time. So I traded in my GMC, a Tacoma, and ditched the wife, 2 of the better decisions in my life. I have had Toyota and Lexus Since.

I worked for Toyota, saw many Tacoma's come thru mainly for Scheduled maintenance, fell in love but could never afford one, I found a 2004 Tundra with 236,000 6 years after I quit Toyota that filled the want for a Toyota, when I found this Tundra Carfax said it was serviced by the dealership I worked at so I called my friend to look up the history and he said everything was done to it from the 1st service to 198k by the same owner, but the kicker to this story is I Was the Service advisor of this truck for 2 years, while I worked for Toyota. off subject but this is what brought me to love Toyotas, Then I found the Tacoma I was dreaming of, My Black on black TRD Sport

Last edited:
For me it was the only thing I was interested in other than what I had. Don't know why. Maybe it was because one of my friends was into them, maybe because it wasn't a Chevy or Ford, maybe the reputation of reliability, who knows!

The Tacoma I bought was the first vehicle I ever bought off the showroom floor. I like the color, everything about it and the deal that was worked out + the cash back from Toyota was worth it to me. I didn't really know what I had at first. It was the only one out of 35 or so on the lot at the time that spoke to me.

Kinda unplanned, good deal, right price, I was looking and I'd have to say it's been my favorite vehicle out of all I've had.

*Edit* Back to the Future may have had something to do with it too. It WAS pounded in my head since 1985!

Needed something to get around in Montana. After attending some military off-road driving schools where we drove the Taco and Hilux, I fell in love with the Taco, and even more so with the Hilux (but they are next to impossible to get stateside). I bought my local Toyota dealer's parts truck which was a TRD OR Access Cab since I don't have any kids or need for additional space (just my dog) with a general idea to build it out similar to those trucks. I also wanted a full sized bed for trips to the orange or blue store. It is mostly used off-road on the weekends, and has legit pinstriping from serious trail riding. Still has under 24K miles (barely broken in by Toyota standards).

I’m on my 2nd Tundra, a 2019. I always thought that when I was ready to scale down, the ONLY smaller size truck I would even consider was a Tacoma. And this was even when I had F150’s before my Tundras.

Normally a Honda family but they don't make a real truck. Also always been a fan of toyota, wanted a truck and first time a saw a 3rd gen I wanted one bad. And of course toyota known for reliability which is a huge thing for me. Auto tech for trade, hate fixing my own crap anymore lol. Rather be upgrading and enjoying. Not fixing.

All it took was test driving a few trucks, one of which was a Tacoma. I already knew Toyota's reputation but after using one I couldn't imagine buying anything else. Amongst the midsize trucks it's the only option for me!

Year i started selling new cars we took on Toyota. 1968 sold our first Hi Lux for $1100.00 plus rear steel bumper (with dealerships name) a radio.
With Toyota dealership 40+ years. Watched them morf into 4Runners and into today’s Tacoma.
Past 25 years furnished two demos and i always drove Tacomas TRD 4x4 because they were easiest to sell.
When i retired 2014 bought a TRD Off-Road 4x4. Sold it last month with 120k miles.
Should take delivery of a ‘23 SR DCSB 2.7l next week. What we referred to as “old man’s truck” or earlier “5lug”.
They are the best.

I was looking for something brand new with a manual transmission and not a sedan. Test drove Jeep but kept looking. I was actually set on getting a Bronco but that circus tent top or fiberglass removable roof fiasco really turned me off. I want a sheet metal roof with a hole for a power window. The 1 - 2 year wait pretty much made it a no-go.

I always knew Toyota built a truck with a third pedal but I had a 'mini' truck back in the day and didn't want another one. Decided to give this "dual cab" thing a look at the local Carmax and I'm glad I did. Had to pick it up on the other side of the country but I bought a new blueberry OR a month ago and I'm really happy with it.

Really curious to see what the redesign will look like.

This is the reason I bought a Toyota truck:
Toyota-SR5-Pickup-Truck-in-Back-to-the-Future-Part-2.jpeg
+1111111

I wanted one ever since watching this movie. But you don't fit in the old ones very well if you're 6' tall and the value of a clean old one is about the same as a brand new one.. so I ordered new. This model is still bae though.

Back