• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Archived Who needs armor for their Tacoma? 4 Wheel Parts might have you covered... for free!

This thread is now an archive that does not accept new posts. If you wish to add to this discussion, you should create a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Bushido1962 — looks like you messed up your post. Your response isn’t visible; it only has the quote of my post.

• Tell us your story about becoming a 4x4 enthusiast and why you chose a 3rd Gen Tacoma. What are your plans and goals for your truck?

So I purchased my Taco as a means of transportation and for its versatility. It's technically the first truck I've ever owned! Well, except for a little Mazda B2500 that I had for maybe 6 months, but I think that's more of a car than a truck. I chose the Tacoma because I needed something reliable that could withstand the daily drive to and from work but also wanted something that could tow a small race car trailer to and from the track. An added benefit was it's 4 wheel drive and small footprint which would be perfect for off roading. Little did I know just how much I would love the traversing terrain- Pretty sure this truck saw more dirt, snow, sand, rain, and sleet within its first 1000 miles than any truck within 500 miles (especially being in Southern California!). I put this thing through the ringer and then some. Also, I may have accidentally misjudged some woops and jumped it once.. or twice. Whoops.

Originally I planned on buying a used Taco and went searching far and wide for the perfect one. In an attempt to see what a new Toyota Dealership had for used inventory, I stopped in. Unfortunately, they didn't have much of what I was looking for in a used truck, especially at their price points.. Yikes.

However, parked right outside in the main drive on my way in, I passed this beauty. I couldn't help but to stare at it- It was an amazing truck. Aggressive in all the right ways and something about the color scheme and the non-standard TRD SEMA wheels wrapped in Nitto Terra Grapplers just made me fall in love.

unnamed (1).jpg

After a quick look over, and then a look at the window sticker.. I shook my head, snapped this photo, and walked away into the dealer. There was NO way I was going to be able to get this truck. Not with that price. Fast forward about twenty minutes, the salesman takes me around the lot showing me what they have. As stated before, nothing to note. I accepted my defeat and knew my next step was to move on back to the used car dealers. Or so I thought.

The salesman was showing me around and said, "You know what? Hang on one second." and was gone in a heartbeat. A few minutes later, he grabs my attention and drags me outside to the drive, keys in hand for the cement colored beauty. Test drive? Why not! I'm in. Lets go. We unlock the truck, I jump in the driver seat and just take it all in. One mile on the dash- new car smell, of course. It's got all the right pieces with no unnecessary extras- everything I wanted and nothing more. Well, except for the fancy TRD shift knob. Of course that's a $495 option on its own. Ouch. We track out to the gas station top drop a gallon or two, "You're gonna love this truck." - And he was right. We clock a few miles on the truck and head back to the dealer. I'm firm that I can't get the truck. No way.

Well... I guess I wasn't that firm. After some back and forth that day and then haggling for literally another two weeks, I was the proud owner of my first real 4x4 Truck! A 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Cement Gray with all the goodies I ever wanted and the same 3 miles on it as when I left.

unnamed (2).jpg

And now, after a year of ownership and many miles of offroad fun, the truck has been everything I've asked for and more. It's taken me to some of the highest peaks in Southern California, out to the sandy Dunes of Glamis, up to throw roosts around Pismo Beach, conquered snowy trails in Big Bear, cheerfully guided me up and down the west coast to visit family in Washington state while including some offroading on the way to conquer a mountain or two through Oregon, and even pulled our new camping trailer up and down mountain trails for some of the best camping (glamping?) I've ever experienced.

My goal for this truck is to build it into a lightweight offroad beast that can tackle the dunes with some semblance of speed while also furthering its ability to conquer undulations and rocky terrain to get me to as many peaks as I can find.

With nearly 20 years in the automotive racing industry spent building tons of engines and track cars, I'm glad to be in a truck where I can not only expand my knowledge for this type of platform, but I can also expand my mind and my appreciation for the outdoors.

I hope to continue sharing my adventures and my knowledge with my fellow enthusiasts as I go. Pay it forward, as they say!

• What is something you learned by browsing the Tacoma3G.com Forum?

With the help of the forum, I've learned what tires I want to run, how to fit them, and how to fit even bigger ones in the future ;)

• If you win, do you want the front bumper, rear bumper, or rock sliders?
I would be most interested in the rock sliders to replace my predator tube steps! Something with utility makes more sense and- lets be honest- those sliders are bad ASS.

Ps, sorry for too many pics.

DSC_0079.jpgDSC_0251.jpgunnamed.jpg

Last edited:
This is Sandy. Sandy likes hot summer nights and dusty trails.

In all seriousness, I’ve always had an affinity for dirt and things with wheels. My interest expanded after my first deployment with Uncle Sugar. I purchased my first vehicle, a lifted Ford Ranger and railed that thing through the desert around 29 Palms. Wanting more, I ended up selling it to purchase a 2006 Tacoma that was in the initial stages of being built as a desert truck. I ended up leaving it in the hands of Giant Motorsports for some additional work and felt like the coolest cat on the block. Unfortunately, transition from being one of Uncle Sugars love children was hard. I moved a lot and the cost of maintenance and lack of utility pushed me to move on. I ended up with a new TRD Off-road to drive around for a few years until I regrettably sold it for a Subaru STI, the worst decision ever.
My relationship with Subaru was short and I ended up scoring a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-road, reigniting my joys of life Offroad. Mother Nature had other plans however and that ship sank, literally. Fate didn’t hold me back and I eventually stepped in to a 2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad and initially started the build.
I tried to sway away from Toyota and it didn’t work. The Tacoma was the answer to my needs and allowed me to pursue my hobbies. Hunting, cycling, offroading/over landing, etc and be capable to meet the demands of adult life.

My build plans are still continuing. I would like to go on more trips and adventure to more places in the future. Since I started off-roading and adventuring more with this truck, I’ve found that I can share these experiences with others and as a side benefit, bring back more personal experiences that can benefit my students ( I teach special ed) and bring a new approach to supporting their educations. Having the ability to visit historical sites, see various wildlife, natural resources, and more have all been opportunities to enhance the learning experience as I have been

As far as what I’ve learned from the forum, I see it as a place with answers, advice, and experiences to help others in their endeavors. People here are passionate about their trucks and willing to support others with like interests in a positive manor that supports growth.

A product I can definitely see myself using from 4wheel parts are their new sliders. Sliders have been on my list for some time and certainly on the horizon of my build.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/4-whe...rs-with-rear-kickouts-61648w/_/R-4WPBR-61648W

However, if I was to win the giveaway, I would hope to win the new rear bumper and add the swing out shortly after to relocate my spare. Enhancing the space and utility of my truck has been a long project of mine.

Attachments

• E73A462D-32CE-494A-99C7-E712F0D0F1A4.jpeg
    E73A462D-32CE-494A-99C7-E712F0D0F1A4.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 74
  • FA743CD8-422C-4FC7-B226-CDB17CCB7EF5.jpeg
    FA743CD8-422C-4FC7-B226-CDB17CCB7EF5.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 71
Five years ago I found myself burnt out on working and exploring in the Eastern states where I had grown up. I had exhausted through the new possibilities for backpacking and climbing, from Georgia to New York and many mountains in between. I was taking repeat trips to the same beautiful yet too familiar waterfalls and ridgelines.

As my heart was feeling a tug to the Rocky Mountains, I received an unexpected invitation in the form of a dream job offer in Salt Lake City. Excitedly I said yes and then called the local Toyota dealerships in search of my dream truck.

Meet Steel Neill. Her constant capability and dependability have played a crucial role in my adventures through Utah’s rugged and desolate terrain. My Tacoma is my daily driver and I have dedicated many weekends to feverishly starting and finishing a mod by Monday morning. This forum has been a source of inspiration and a time saver with install guides, particularly with the front hybrid bumper from Southern Style Offroad.

One of the great joys of working on my 3rd Gen truck is that it has taught me practical, hands-on experience that complements and sharpens my professional training. I earned a Ph.D. and P.E. in mechanical engineering by dedicating years to mastering concepts and technical knowledge. With the Tacoma build, my passion for learning has evolved into tangible, visible results. It is the first vehicle and the first 4x4 that I have worked on, and it has become a labor of love I will continue as a long term pursuit.

My vision for Steel Neill has shifted to restoring more utility as a weekday work truck but still ready for weekend adventures. The GoFastCamper was a first big step in that direction, increasing the cargo height and adding side doors for full access to the bed space. The GFC has introduced large blind spots, so I am wanting to reinstall the blind spot monitor sensors with a compatible bumper like the new one from 4 Wheel Parts. This bumper will also restore factory towing capacity, since I will be reinstalling the factory hitch receiver with it.

GFClandscape.JPEG

IMG_3043.jpeg

From a young age I started to love the adventure. It started when I used to go on cross country trips with my Pops in his Freightliner. That man taught me the utility of having a truck and a 4x4. His first truck he bought when coming to the states was a '81 Toyota Pickup and he had quite a fleet when I was growing up, Isuzu Rodeo V6 4x4, Nissan Frontier 4x4, Chevy Suburban 4x4, and eventually teaching me how to drive in a '89 Geo Tracker 4x4 5speed. Being an avid hiker and mountain biker when growing up I always wanted a 1st gen Tacoma to get me out there. Now that I am a little older and somewhat more financially stable I chose my dream truck, that being a 3rd gen Taco 4x4 with the manual. I chose the Tacoma because it is one of 2 pickups in the market today you can get with a manual, and the feeling of rowing through the gears brings back a feeling of nostalgia. Plans with my truck is to adventure with my wife throughout North America, and teaching my future kids the lost art of stick shift. This awesome community of Tacoma3g has taught me many things from suspensions, tires, to simple mods like the AC drain reroute. If I won I would love the front or rear bumper for its winch and recovery capability to get me out there further. Thanks 4WP and Tacoma3g!

IMG-0888.jpg
IMG-1281.jpg
IMG-1312.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t want to leave you guys hanging…

Last update I got from @4 Wheel Parts was yesterday morning and he said he is still looking through these but he’s been swamped with other work as well.

Sorry about the delay.

Winner 1 of 2 has been revealed here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back