• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Whistling sound from rear of truck while rear window open at 20mph+

50ShadesofCement

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Hey guys, new to the site. I have a 2020 OR with 59,000 miles. Bought it around a year ago certified pre-owned. This sound may have been around for a while and I just didn't notice but I had my rear window open, no radio or other windows and I noticed almost a whistling or slight grinding sound (almost like metal on metal barely rubbing). Checked underneath and didn't notice anything way out of the ordinary or might be rubbing. It only starts to make the sound when I am driving over 25mph and stops when I go under 20mph. This could just be nervous energy but wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has the same experience and if it is a problem or just one of those normal Taco things.

Thanks in advance.

Hard noise to describe, eh? Is it wind whistling? If so, perfectly normal. Is it mechanical (metal on metal)? That's not normal, and you probably need to tighten your bed rails, one of the bed bolts, or something in the trim category.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, new to the site. I have a 2020 OR with 59,000 miles. Bought it around a year ago certified pre-owned. This sound may have been around for a while and I just didn't notice but I had my rear window open, no radio or other windows and I noticed almost a whistling or slight grinding sound (almost like metal on metal barely rubbing). Checked underneath and didn't notice anything way out of the ordinary or might be rubbing. It only starts to make the sound when I am driving over 25mph and stops when I go under 20mph. This could just be nervous energy but wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has the same experience and if it is a problem or just one of those normal Taco things.

Thanks in advance.
Since it is happening at a low speed, I would get someone to drive the truck while you tried to locate it from the rear bed.
It could be a loose bolt causing a rub or vibration,.. maybe even the spare tire is loose or leaf spring however it also could be a bearing in the drive shaft or wheel.
Bearings are an easy fix when replaced early not so much when they come apart and cause more damage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thanks in advance.
Hello new to the site too. I have a 2023 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD 5ft bed. I also notice a ever so slight metal on metal rubbing noise at low speeds with the back window open. As the speed increases it turns into a ringing or whistling noise. I would say worst around 75mph. It drives me crazy. I am taking it to my second dealer to have it checked out. I am at a loss. I checked fluids and all over the truck to find something loose or anything that could be the culprit. Very frustrating for a truck with 2800 miles on it.

Upvote 0
Hello new to the site too. I have a 2023 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD 5ft bed. I also notice a ever so slight metal on metal rubbing noise at low speeds with the back window open. As the speed increases it turns into a ringing or whistling noise. I would say worst around 75mph. It drives me crazy. I am taking it to my second dealer to have it checked out. I am at a loss. I checked fluids and all over the truck to find something loose or anything that could be the culprit. Very frustrating for a truck with 2800 miles on it.
Can you record it? Is this the rear back window or the passenger windows?

Upvote 0
Back